Digital version of Codex

I think I’m just going to stick to playing with the cards in person. Playing Yomi and Puzzle Strike online makes sense because the matches are quick, and having the games rule-enforced is a nice bonus. I feel like it would be a slog, especially mentally, to play Codex in front of a computer screen.

Now, if it were the only way to play some Tournament matches, say as a qualifier for FSX, then sure, I’ll play online. But preferably, I’d rather be sitting down in a comfy chair, shooting the breeze and making Nautical Dog jokes with my opponent while we play and then get some food or coffee with them.

But wouldn’t an iPad rules enforced version (like for Yomi) be super awesome too? Zero set up time, zero dispute about card rulings, easier transportation, and less room required to play. You could still meet up and play head to head, converse about whatever, and maybe even save game and continue later. I still see this game being more successful online with rules enforced. However, I will admit the online version will never scratch the MTG itch of shuffling cards and tapping cards… :frowning:

It would be awesome! Maybe you can find someone willing to do the hundreds, or perhaps thousands of hours of work coding it together? Ideally someone willing to work for free up front. ; )

2 Likes

Wow relax dude. I was just pointing out some obvious benefits of a rules enforced version of codex. Take a look at the rules thread and see for yourself. Also, I see numerous posts suggesting difficulty storing and transporting this game. I can’t code and I don’t know anyone who can code for free. All I can do is support Sirlin’s team by purchasing his existing products (Yomi twice digitally and now Codex) and voice my opinion.

1 Like

I would be willing to pay up front for sure. I’d pledge a “real” codex game on kickstarter 100%, and would be willing to pay quite a high price.

EDIT : note that I am not discouraging or minimising the effort put into the TT mod at all. I don’t find the prospect especially enticing personally, and it’s probably in a big part because I am lazy and like for the machines to do my work.

2 Likes

I mean, literally no person has said that they don’t want a rules-enforced digital version of Codex in the like forty-five posts I’ve seen here proposing some variation of “you know what would be a good idea? A digital version of Codex with rule enforcement and online play,” as though the reason it isn’t being worked on is simply that there was some accidental oversight, rather than because they’re a really small company with very limited resources who literally can’t afford to start working on it for a minimum of a couple of years.

Like, I’m not annoyed at any one particular poster who’s posted that it would be cool to see that version of Codex, but, like… the point has been made enough times and no amount of enthusiasm expressed through non-financial means is going to make it happen any sooner. Maybe we could instead talk about the options that do exist, instead?

8 Likes

Dude, plz relax. We all know that quality games do not grow on trees.
They require talent, time and Money$$$.
That is why i just said that i am willing to wait, same thing did @Corroyeur

1 Like

noooooo I refuse to relax

people expressing enthusiasm for Codex in the wrong way is the hill I choose to die on

my outrage knows no bounds of any sort

I really want online rules-enforced Codex too you guys

also a hug

12 Likes

Hugs GRAG it’s ok, just repeat after me: Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, submit, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, obey, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, submit, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, obey, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, submit, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, obey, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, submit, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, obey, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game, Fantasy Strike Fighting Game,

7 Likes

. Imo a rules not enforced version cannot be compared to pbp, where at least u have all the time for check, re check and eventually fix mistakes.

actually, if i remember correctly, tabletopia should support asynchronous play.

@Domon Correct!

Tabletopia actually keeps the game running on their servers too. So you can drop in, take your turn, and then leave, then the other guy comes in whenever and takes his turn, etc. It’s pretty cool.

2 Likes

I was unaware of this! Big point in favor of Tabletopia.

Yeah, we at least get asynchronous online play at all this way

Asynchronous, but does your opponent have to be around if you need to look at their hand or discard? if they don’t, then does your opponent at least get notified of your actions? “Opponent flips over your hand” in the game log or something then everything would be good. If your opponent has to choose to reveal, then its not completely asynchronous.

That’s a very good point for Leontes to bring up with them — maybe have it set up to make a dialog box pop up when you come back that says “your opponent looked at your _____” if you’re playing asynchronously?

Near the end of the video Leontes mentioned that this is something he is trying very hard to get into the game.

1 Like

What I heard in the video was discussions about making it easier to look at the contents of a discard for either player. If he mentioned opponent interactions with the hand and discard, I missed it.

On second pass it seems a bit more ambiguous then I remembered. He did specifically mention the discard while using Lawful Search as an example, but didn’t say anything about searching hands. @Leontes has a good grip on the problem so I think the digital version is in good hands.

I’ll leave now.

There isn’t a method to “Search this deck” or “search this hand”. Lawful Search targetting hand is whatever, players can put their cards on the table. Searching the discard pile = literally flip over every card in the discard pile and look at them, then flip it back and then restack the cards. Tabletopia just doesn’t have, in the right-click radial menu, “Search this deck”. Community Service has the same issue.

This is also somewhat problematic when using Garth, but oftentimes players use Garth’s maxband to summon a thing they just teched in so it shouldn’t be that crazy to deal with.

So I want them to let me know as soon as that core engine feature is functional in Tabletopia so I can edit my YouTube video, lol.

2 Likes