CAWS 2016: FrozenStorm ([Blood]/Strength/Growth) vs. Jadiel (Mono Black)

Dat spacing doh! Miraculous draws my friend, I’ll have to ponder whether it’s worth seeing if you’ve drawn Dark Pact or not…

Yes, I just play the cards… I can’t take any credit for the ordering…

You can take credit for the seemingly foolish but amazingly effective tech choices! :wink:

Hey! How dare you call my teching seemingly foolish! :stuck_out_tongue:

Tongue in cheek :wink: Obviously not that foolish since it’s kicking my ass!

1 Like

@Jadiel what happend on your Turn 5 / Turn 6 - the Turn 5 “next hand” doesn’t match your Turn 6 “starting hand”?

Hmmm, I’m not sure. The T5 next hand is correct, and that’s what I had on the spreadsheet. I’m not sure why T6 is showing a different hand though - is it something to do with the turn I corrected and redrew? But I can’t see how that would influence it on turn 6…

ETA: Actually, I did mess up the spreadsheet as I forgot to tech on turn 5, and pressed Discard/Draw with no cards in the Tech slots. I backtracked and thought I’d fixed it, but maybe I didn’t undo enough? I thought I’d redone everything right though (and the spreadsheet looked right)

Ok, everything looks right if we ignore the content posted under your Turn 6 “starting hand” - carry on.

It’s not a big deal to me either way, if it’s determined we need to rewind things I can probably do that, if it’s all close enough though I have no choice but to concede. I don’t have the cards to take away both Haunt and HH and Orpal AND block 5 incoming damage, and yea that isn’t accounting for a Sac the Weak or Nether Drain or Dark Pact.

GG WP if we’re not rolling back draws then!

It seemed plausible but unlikely to get perfectly spaced D&D there, so I’m bummed and frustrated Black is able to do this kind of thing, but it’s part of the game :wink:

I honestly think after 40 or 50 or however many games played on these forums, the game would be much better without Black in it, but I’m biased in so much as I don’t much enjoy the theme or playstyle of black.

As you can see from tracing things, he drew both D&Ds for turn 6, and then re-drew one of them (2 / 12 chance) for turn 7.

GG, WP.

The D&Ds weren’t as nicely spaced as you think. I double teched them into my last cycle, hoping that I didn’t draw both in my next hand (as Orpal was only L4). I didn’t get either of them (which was good), but then I drew both the following turn (which was ok). I then drew 4 and reshuffled, and had a 2/12 to redraw one of the D&Ds, and I did, which was lucky. So I was lucky, but perhaps not in the way you thought :slight_smile:

Unlikely in a different way :wink: But a great move none the less, just yea I’m not totally sure how I was supposed to keep up. The whole promise of this game that “you can’t lose by sitting down at the table with the wrong deck” doesn’t feel super genuine against Black to me.

/end salt, I am plenty self-aware to know I’m not a great player of this game and you definitely caught me off guard with both Sickness and Death and Decay. It was a great Yomi read, and I wish you the best of luck going forward!

Thanks, and the same to you going forward! I’d forgotten that you write a lot of thoughts with your posts - if I’d remembered I would have done so also, as it’s always interesting to see what the other person is thinking. I’m going to edit my thoughts in now in retrospect, hopefully they’ll be interesting.

I’m not sure about Black - I’ve been on the other end of it a lot, and I’ve also felt that it’s very repressive especially in the early game. Part of the reason I wanted to try and play it this tournament was to better understand where it is weak, and as you noted in your T1, there are a lot of Tech II plays which I am powerless against - that was scary!

It’s all well and good to be weak to tech 2 if you can completely lock the other person off of it with relative impunity :wink: and yea I have to respect Meta through the midgame there, so I don’t get a lot of room to also be afraid of D&D. It was really savvy to have it at the ready like you did.

I empathise strongly :slight_smile: I nearly teched Meta instead of D&D, which would have been better if I’d drawn it T5 (although you built a tower I suspected you might). Vandy can fetch Meta (it’s not as good, but it’s still not a bad option) so I decided I’d go for D&D instead…

I can’t believe the Skeleton that Garth created on turn 2 and the javelineer I played that turn survived to the end of the game! Those guys were the MVPs for sure (well, Orpal too!)

I think the early Tech 1 skip was pivotal. Frozenstorm ended up spending (over the course of turns 1-3):

2 gold for Drakk
3 gold to level him up
1 gold for Mad Man
2 gold for Blood Lust
2 gold for Bombaster
=10 gold and 3 cards
but he still had a 2/1 Bombaster that could trade for a skeleton or deteriorate, and possibly also grant a patrol bonus, so call it 9 gold and 2 cards.

and ended up with a max-band Drakk to show for it, while Jadiel spent

2 gold for Vandy
2 gold for Garth
0 gold for Pestering haunt
=4 gold and 1 card on the stuff that was destroyed.

that’s a 5 gold advantage for Jadiel, balanced by the max-band Drakk on-board, but FrozenStorm wasn’t able to take advantage of it in the face of piles of skeletons.

I think starting with Rook -> Birds is a better opening against Vandy et. al. Or just let Vandy live on turn 2 and do some board development (i.e. patrol BRO & Mad Man) + get Tech I planted.

3 Likes

Appreciate the analysis EricF!

Anyone else think this should have been the “featured game” for this round? :slight_smile:

Seriously, that was a great battle to watch through the comments, so many thanks to both :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Kind of you to say @robinz, thanks!