CAWS 2016: FrozenStorm ([Blood]/Strength/Growth) vs. Castanietzsche ([Bashing]/Balance/Growth)

Yea I mean out of respect, I’m going to concede. I can’t really picture a scenario where I am able to get the requisite base damage in time. I can kill your tech 3 this turn, but you’ll get Arg and Drakk (or my tech 2, or both) in return just by midbanding Midori again.

GG WP! You teched around all of my tricks (minus the risky bloodlust turn 2, where I whiffed my tech draws anyway so didn’t really matter what I chose!) and I’m begging someone to help me see where I could have done better, as I am not good enough with this deck to see my way out of the draws I had. Early kidnapping maybe? Or just floating gold turn 1? Or Rook instead of Musketeer? Did I need to go ham on blood base damage? Balance is super tough on this deck!

2 Likes

Thanks for the match ! :smiley:
It’s was a really fun one :smile_cat:

Yeah Balance is awesome against ongoing spells/buildings/upgrades, and it almost prevented you from going Growth !
But Deathtouch also means incredibly powerful against Strength units and Rook… And having Midori’s midbands means I can have very strong units on my side but becoming instantly weaker when kidnapped :open_mouth:

Maybe the main problem was your T1 hand, a Musketeer is incredibly weak compared to a T1 Bloodrage Ogre or NDog + Arg… I had many time to build up my Midori’s midband team. Something else was that Rook is a very good food for Basilisk ! But yeah you couldn’t know I was teching one :slight_smile:

@EricF

1 Like

I probably should have better analyzed as much :wink: Kidnapping and a more spell-centric, swarm-oriented Drakk plan utilizing Kidnapping and Desperation perhaps would have lent me the requisite time I needed to get back in the game and keep you off Balance Tech 2, which simply shuts down all of my win conditions really lol… I think that might have been my best hope given the very aggro-less T1 draw, which was truly catastrophic for my early tempo. Early Midori midband + both buff targets meant I had no way of breaking through, combined with the whiffed T3 draw the game felt very over right there lol!

1 Like

Given that opening hand, I think a more successful play sequence would have been:

T1 Careless Musketeer
T2 Ping opponent’s Base for 1, play Dog and Ogre
T3 Ping opponent’s Tech 1 for 1, save gold
T4 Max Rook, tech in 2nd Earthquake + Dinosize, play Birds. Also, Pillage that gold, reducing opponent’s base to 18
T5 Quake reduces opponent’s Base to 12 (or 10 if he builds Tech 2 and you hit it with a bird, but he probably wouldn’t try for that. Bird hits the thing that got healed by Brick Thief. Patrol Rook, to avoid giving out patrol bonuses.
T6 Dinosize Bird, reduce Base to 5. Play Crash Bomber. Plan to eek out the last bit of base damage with Drakk top band, Pillage, Earthquake (re-play and re-max Rook at every opportunity, alternating with playing Drakk), and Crash Bombers/bird pokes.

3 Likes

Thanks @EricF! It’s nice to hear perhaps I wasn’t that far off a good line, just needed more trust in Blood’s ability to burn it down.

I didn’t use Musketeer for fear that Brick Thief would just undo things and compound problems for me, but perhaps that was too fearful

1 Like

While Brick Thief would be good for undoing some musket damage, it would be gold spent that wasn’t going into more productive things (and if it came down before the musketeer died, maybe you just shoot the thief?)

3 Likes

maybe casta has found the seconde deck where Troq is not terrìbad (the iither being necro/demon/bashing)

Troq is reaally terrìbad, I never play it :slight_smile:
But yeah bashing units are nice, especially starter, Iron Man and Trojan Duck :smile_cat: