CAWS 2016 *FINALS* - petE ([Anarchy]/Strength/Growth) vs. zhavier ([Necro]/Blood/Truth)

death grip on life…

P2T6

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Shoddy Glider
Kidnapping

STARTING HAND
Bone Collector
Deteriorate
Free Speech
Skeletal Archery
Lich’s Bargain

WORKERS
Sacrifice the Weak
Skeleton Javelineer
Lich’s Bargain
Pestering Haunt
Lich’s Bargain

NextHand

Crashbarrow
Graveyard

Discard

Free Speech
Summon Skeletons
Poisonblade Rogue
Doom Grasp
Shoddy Glider
Thieving Imp
Free Speech
Deteriorate
Shoddy Glider
Kidnapping

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($10)
Worker - ($9)
Free Speech - ($7)
Bone Collector - ($5)
Rebuild Tech 2
Skeletal Archery - ($3)
Skeleton kills Scavenger Bird at long range
Deteriorate kills Technician Bird - ($2)
Mirror - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 0, draw 2

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Bone Collector 3/3+A
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Quince 1/3, lvl 3
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Skeletal Archery
  • Mirror 0/1
  • Skeleton 1/1
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Blood)
  • :heart: Tower HP: 3

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 2
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 10
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 10
Thoughts

Ok, so I am completely down on cards, but all he can do next turn is hit me with maybe a Blooming Ancient Runed mad man and rook. I can patrol the mirror, but he can just clear it with midband healed argargarg, or just arg if i don’t put the mirror in elite.

Note Quince is not lvl 3, that is a typo. He is lvl 1

P1 Turn7

[details=Tech StartingHand Workers][spoiler]
TECH
Blooming Ancient
Dinosize

STARTING HAND
Earthquake
Blooming Ancient
Nautical Dog
Charge
Makeshift Rambaster (technician draw)

WORKERS
Bloodburn
Scorch
Pillage
Careless Musketeer

[/spoiler][/details]

[details=NextHand][spoiler]
Bloodrage Ogre
Might of Leaf and Claw
Dinosize
Mad Man

[/spoiler][/details]

[details=Discard][spoiler]
Makeshift Rambaster
Charge
Earthquake
Blooming Ancient
Dinosize

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float + scav - ($10)
Resummon Birds
Blooming Ancient - ($6)
Nautical Dog, rune on Ancient - ($5)
Makeshift Rambaster, rune on Ancient - ($3)
Zane, rune on Ancient - ($1)
Move 3 runes to Rambaster
Rambaster trades with Bone Collector
Rook kills Quince, Argagarg to lvl 3
Argagarg kills Skeleton
Skip worker

Float ($1)
Discard 2, draw 4

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1 + 1)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Bird #1 (1/1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Zane lvl 1 (2/2)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Blooming Ancient (2/4)
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]: Bird #2 (1/1)
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Bird’s Nest
  • Rook lvl 8 (4/1) [crumbling rune]
  • Argagarg lvl 3 (1/2)
  • Makeshift Rambaster (4/1)

[B]Buildings:[/B]

• :heart: Base HP: 18
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Growth)
  • :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 6
  • Disc: 5
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 8

Edit: added surviving Rambaster behind patrol

[details=Thoughts][spoiler]

Fortunate technician draw, one of my hasty units (Rambaster). This turn I can play Ancient + Dog + Rambaster + Zane to generate 3 runes. Birds are fatigued, so using the runes on Rambaster to clear Bone Collector so I can kill Quince with Rook. Expect to face Crashbarrows/Gliders now (from Garth’s max if not in hand), but the scary mirrored version is at least off for a turn.

Think my best bet is to carry on skipping workers for hand size, though not pretty or sustainable. I’ll draw my next 4 card hand from 10 cards, of which 4 (Earthquake, Dinosize, 2xSurprise Attack) give me instant win chances now I can finally cast a spell. $9 from workers+float more than enough for any of these, so no reason no to go for it.

After the draw: drew a Dinosize, so setting up patrol to try to keep a Bird + Argagarg alive. Also drew MoLaC, backup is to start this going if I don’t get to Dinosize.

[/spoiler][/details]

Your Rambaster survived as a 4/1?

You’re right, thank you. Will add behind patrol.

GG!

I can’t compete with that. 2 Hastey units and you got one from that big deck :frowning:

I’ll post my turn one for game 2 later, and I am hoping to at least get one win against you, but it could very well end up being the last match.

1 Like
probably dumb question for petE

(spoilering this because I am probably missing something). I’m confused by the last paragraph in your spoiler. Are you implying that you set your patrol after seeing your new hand?

@barrelfish Not dumb question at all. I’ve just found out I’ve been incorrectly setting the patrol after rather than before the draw/discard. Not just in this match, but ever since I’ve been playing Codex. What a complete idiot.

1 Like

@zhavier I’ve asked @ericf to take out all my game results from CAWS, and for me to drop out of this series.

As they say at the Oscars – there’s been a mistake, and I’m proud to pass this to the actual winner !

1 Like

Don’t beat yourself up to hard :slight_smile: I certainly hope to play more matches against you. I think even without that patrol thing you would be a good player.

2 Likes

I feel like you two should play it out, even if the record doesn’t count (as much as any of this counts…).

2 Likes

I do think there should still be a final of some kind, but I leave that for EricF to figure out.

Well, you can ALWAYS choose to play out the games for fun, regardless of if they’re actually the “Finals” or not.

1 Like

^^ with Mooseknuckles and Kaelii

1 Like

I concur @petE, sounds like it was an honest rules misunderstanding, and while certainly an advantage I don’t feel like it’s so game-changing that it negates your results entirely.

2 Likes

At the same time, we can’t say definitively that it didn’t have an effect, and that could have been the razor’s edge advantage needed to win a close match somewhere. I want him to be able to keep playing, but I think he’s made the right decision here. There’s always CAPS, right?

I don’t so much mind the “official record” of the tournament having @PetE in first or second for CAWS, and mostly I just want to see this matchup played out :wink: Certainly it might have given him the edge in a few cases, but from what I saw he still played very well. I suppose I might be top 4 if PetE were left out, and that would improve my “meta-points” @EricF is tracking, but my overall judgement is I deserved missing top 4 based on my play, and PetE deserved his spot.

That said, I’d leave it up to EricF (or perhaps tourney participant vote) to say how the “official record” should be affected.

1 Like

Per petE’s request, I’m going to drop him from the standings, but I won’t be changing anyone else’s results.

Yeah, I guess my point is that official records don’t really matter here, given the casual nature of these tournaments.

It feels like a lot of these final matches in tournaments seem to get cancelled for whatever reason. My hope was that the matches would be played out, if only for the lack of matches where quality players are both actively trying.

3 Likes