CAWS 2016: Eijolend (Mono Green) vs. ARMed-Pirate ([Blood]/Demon/Strength)

So I just looked at the game again and read your Thoughts and Tech choices.

First of all: What an interesting read! I love how we both were pretty happy how the early game went and then became gradually more and more worried about what could happen next.

Your deck has some interesting nuances and a variety of threats that one has to be aware of. I guess even just pretending to do the TQ + DG combo and then hitting with hasted, frenzied Doubling Barbarians instead could make for an unpleasant surprise. I think even a strategy revolving around Colossus might be interesting. They are worried about the big combo and are counting gold for that constantly? Hit them with something cheaper! (Not sure how well that would work in practice thoughā€¦)

Another point that was interesting to me is that you suspected that I had all kinds of Feral spells up my sleeve when I actually was very very worried about what you could do if there would ever be a turn when I canā€™t clear all your threats - so I stocked up on Momentā€™s Peace. On the other hand I should have realized that Kidnapping was unlikely given what I have seen from your Tech I choices.

Iā€™m also not sure whether I should call my MoLaC draw lucky because it showed up right on time or unlucky because it was so late.^^

Anyhow, really enjoyed this game! Might even have to try such a combo deck myself at some point.

1 Like

I think you would have won faster if youā€™d have drawn MoLaC sooner, since I was playing so defensively for so long. I was hoping a 17/17 Terras Q would have ended things sooner, and I think it would have if you hadnā€™t played just right at every stage.

It was a fantastically fun game, and really great playing against you. Weā€™ll have to try some casuals some time. (:

I would love to make Colossus work, and Bloodlusting them would be nice, but itā€™s probably better comboā€™d with Geiger for both Now! and Ready or Not.

As much as I love TQ and DeGrey, Iā€™m starting to wonder if Iā€™m going about it all wrong. Maybe I should be taking Zane in, and just dropping TQ in as a Chaos Mirror target for something stealthy, or a bird, or something with Overpower. If I run Blue starter, I could CM 15 atk onto a Traffic Director; with Quince, I could make a mirror a copy of that Traffic Director, and since CM swaps the printed values, Iā€™d have two unstoppable 15-atk units. Alternatively, I could run Black to begin with, and CM TQā€™s attack onto Jandra, Twilight Baron, or Gargoyle. White also has Smoker and some others, but with towers around, stealth doesnā€™t seem as reliable as unstoppable and overpower.

Thoughts? Which would you rather see attempted? Black starter Chaos Mirror OP Demons or Blue Starter Traffic Director push?

2 Likes

I would love to get some casual games in. Currently Iā€™m a bit overloaded with forum games already, so maybe after the tournament? (So probably in 1 week :smiley: )[quote=ā€œARMed_PIrate, post:22, topic:1771ā€]
If I run Blue starter, I could CM 15 atk onto a Traffic Director; with Quince, I could make a mirror a copy of that Traffic Director, and since CM swaps the printed values, Iā€™d have two unstoppable 15-atk units.
[/quote]

What a frightening thoughtā€¦ The challenge will be to get the Traffic Director AND Quince to stick around for one turn, though.

1 Like

I know this is a delayed comment, but I was brainstorming a new deck and ended up very close to yours @ARMed_PIrate! I think Strength and Anarchy would go excellently together - Rookā€™s Earthquake is exactly the kind of ultimate spell Zane wishes he had access to with his destructo plan (and I think if Rook were maxed, Maximum Anarchy would leave Rook standing!?). I like the idea of having Vandy around as she has a lot of neat plays with her mid-band and her max-band on a Doubling Barbarian sounds hilarious (7 Overpower damage is good I think).

Anyway I know you tried it with [Truth] and the blue starter, but I think I will try it out with [Strength] and the white starter. Iā€™m not too comfortable with the black starter and while the red starter looks fun I still have yet to play with it at all (dunno why, I love Red in Magic).

2 Likes

Not a bad idea at all! Remember that Chaos Mirror with Boulder is fantastic! That thing can attack! With Mythmaking and CM it can be absurd. (:
Chaos Mirror with Birds: also awesome. If you can get TQ down first, you can have a bird swing for 15. Have another CM in hand? Swap it to bird #2 and hit for another 15.

3 Likes