Casual: Hobusu vs robinz

oops, I’m not sure how I missed that. But as you note, it doesn’t give the actual wording, which is what I was after. For that I’d have to either have the physical card in front of me (and I’m at work at the moment), or found it online (which I failed at).

In any case, I was pretty sure it works on heroes too, just wasn’t 100% sure without seeing the card text, because “heroes aren’t units” and a few cards do surprise me by not working on heroes (I remember that from Spore Shambler a few games ago). And ARMed_Pirate gave me confirmation anyway :slight_smile:

I copied the wording of the card from that link… :confused:

Leaving aside the tower issue, I probably can’t take a turn for a few hours at best. There’s a possibility I’ll be leaving tonight instead of tomorrow, so I have to prepare in case.

1 Like

Wow, it’s been five days already? Sorry about not taking a turn for so long – I underestimated how much a cross-country road trip would take out of me. I doubt you’ve minded having time for your CAWS games, though!

Player 1 Turn 4

Tech, Starting Hand and Workers

TECH

Might of Leaf and Claw
Might of Leaf and Claw

STARTING HAND

Morningstar Flagbearer
Savior Monk
Safe Attacking
Argonaut
Snapback

WORKERS

Fox Viper
Sensei’s Advice
Smoker
Morningstar Flagbearer

Next Hand

Fox Primus
Aged Sensei
Grappling Hook
Now!
Shuriken Hail

Discard

Snapback
Safe Attacking
Savior Monk
Might of Leaf and Claw
Might of Leaf and Claw

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Build Growth Tech II - ($3)
Recruit Argonaut George (previous one is Fred) - ($0)
Fred kills Ogre and takes 3 damage, you draw a card
Patrol as shown below

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Argonaut George (3/4+a) |Readiness|
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Argonaut Fred (3/1) [Readiness]
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]

[B]Buildings:[/B]

• :heart: Base HP: 20
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 5
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 8
Thoughts

I was debating whether to go for MoLaC, but since he has nothing to remove an upgrade, why not? Having two Argonauts and Now! in my deck gives me quite a bit of attacking power, and if I can get maxed Setsuki… Odds are low that I can actually get MoLaC until next turn, but if he can’t break Tech II I can at least get two heroes out.

Merry Christmas! I’m sure you’re busy today, so don’t feel pressured to take your turn quickly. I didn’t! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Merry Christmas to you too! No problems with the delay (I was indeed busy with my first CAWS game, at least for 24 hours until I last horribly…). I’ve had a very enjoyable day, but it’s nearly 9pm now here in the UK so I’m allowed to get my laptop out again :wink:

P2T4

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Feral Strike
Feral Strike

STARTING HAND
Bombaster
Charge
Pillage
Argonaut
Hyperion
Ferocity <- technician draw
Mad Man <- Hyperion draw

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Scorch
Bombaster

NextHand

Makeshift Rambaster
Tricycloid
Argonaut
Ferocity
Mad Man

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Hyperion - ($2)
Calamandra casts Ferocity, giving my units armour piercing and swift strike until my next upkeep - ($0)
Hyperion swiftly kills George by ignoring his armour, but takes 1 damage from your tower. I draw a card.
Naughty Dog swiftly kills Fred - but dies anyway to your tower. You draw a card
Calamandra hits your Tech 2 for 3 damage (but takes 1 from the tower)

Float ($0)
Discard 4, draw 2, reshuffle, draw 3

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • Hyperion (4/4, haste, resist 1, armor piercing, swift strike)
  • lv 3 Calamandra (3/3)

• Deck: 6
  • Disc: 0
  • Workers: 9
Thoughts

This game, unlike most of my recent ones, seems to be going pretty well. I teched double Feral Strike thinking I would spend my last 2 gold on maxing Calamandra after having her take damage to help wipe his board - but when I drew Ferocity from the technician draw I changed my plan for this turn. I’ve kept the FS’s in though, because he’s highly unlikely to be able to kill Calamandra before next turn, and then I can max her.

(I’ve only just realised that I’d have been better off having Calamandra kill Fred, since I’ll be healing her next turn - so keeping Nautical Dog alive for next turn. That would only be wrong if he can do 1 damage to Calamandra on his turn, which I don’t see as very likely with an empty board - and most of the ways he could would also allow him to do 4 damage. It’s too late to change my turn when I’ve already drawn though.)

He’s gone Growth Tech 2, most likely for a MoLaC strategy - but I ought to be able to keep his board clear enough for him not to profit from that. About the only thing I have to worry about for his next turn is Geiger casting Now! on something with 4+ attack. But I think that’s unlikely enough that I’ve even chosen to hit his Tech 2 with Calamandra, rather than patrolling her. I hope that doesn’t prove to be a mistake…

Ouch… I’m feeling the lack of Rook and Grave right now. Multicolor is fun, but I’m starting to see the advantage of monocolor. The extra gold costs and lack of a strong combat hero made it hard to keep the initiative, though the awkward starting hand didn’t help.

I should be able to take another turn within a couple of hours (why am I so optimistic?), but I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up late enough that you might not see it until tomorrow.

I know it’s unlikely to console you much - but I just realised that Calamandra should actually be 3/3 due to your Tower (I’m still not used to facing that thing!), and have edited accordingly.

@Hobusu - just a gentle reminder

Sorry about that! I haven’t even been on the forums for a couple of days… I’ll just not bother giving any more estimates of when my turns will come until I’m back from my trip. They’ll happen when they happen.

Player 1 Turn 5

TECH

Oversized Rhinoceros
Blooming Ancient

STARTING HAND

Fox Primus
Aged Sensei
Shuriken Hail
Grappling Hook
Now!
Argonaut

WORKERS

Fox Viper
Sensei’s Advice
Smoker
Morningstar Flagbearer
Fox Primus

Next Hand

Argonaut
Savior Monk
Snapback
Might of Leaf and Claw

Discard

Now!
Grappling Hook
Shuriken Hail
Oversized Rhinoceros
Blooming Ancient

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Recruit Argonaut - ($4)
Summon Geiger - ($2)
Geiger casts Now! on Argonaut, giving it haste - ($1)
Argonaut kills Calamandra and takes 3 damage, Geiger gains 2 free levels
Recruit Aged Sensei - ($0)
Patrol as shown below (don’t forget the Tower!)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Argonaut (3/1+a) {Readiness}
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Max Geiger Lv. 3 (2+1/4)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Aged Sensei (1/1)

• :heart: Tech II HP: 2

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 2
  • Disc: 5
Thoughts

I’m not exactly happy about how much of the momentum he’s gained, but at least I’ve gotten a hero kill and made it very hard for him to keep the Hyperion alive. He can probably get a revenge kill easily enough, though… Unless I can get MoLaC to activate, possibly with the help of a blocker like Oversized Rhino, he’s probably got this one won.

1 Like

No problem on the delay - I know it’s a busy time, and I wasn’t expecting a move straight away!

Especially one as effective as that - I was definitely sloppy last turn. Fortunately for me, I can still do plenty of stuff…

P2T5

TECH
Immortal
Temporal Distortion

STARTING HAND
Tricycloid
Makeshift Rambaster
Mad Man
Ferocity
Argonaut
Bloodrage Ogre <- Hyperion draw

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Scorch
Bombaster

NextHand

Pillage
Nautical Dog
Feral Strike
Feral Strike
Charge

Discard

Immortal
Temporal Distortion
Hyperion
Argonaut
Mad Man
Ferocity
Bloodrage Ogre

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($9)
Tricycloid - ($4)
Tricycloid fires 2 shots at the Argonaut and 1 at Aged Sensei, killing both. You draw a card.
summon the true Max Geiger!

• ($2)
    Hyperion trades with your Geiger (curse that Tower!), I draw a card and my Geiger gains 2 levels
    Makeshift Ramaster appears and breaks your Tech 2, taking 1 damage. Your base takes 2. - ($0)
    No worker this turn.

Float ($0)
Discard 4, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Tricycloid (3/3+1A, no shots left)
  • Geiger lvl 3 (2/4)
  • Makeshift Rambaster (1/1)
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Present)

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 7
Thoughts

Yep, that last turn was sloppy in all sorts of ways. At least I could clear his board, break his Tech 2, and ensure he has no haste next turn by killing Geiger. Perhaps I was wrong to skip the worker, but it was the only way I could see to do everything. I’ve been limited by gold rather than cards recently, and with wanting to replay and max Calamandra soon that will probably continue (although cards could become tight again now Hyperion is dead!).

But I still think I’m in a hugely strong position. I’ve teched a Temporal Distortion to have some fun, especially because it’s cheap (it’s yet another way to get off-spec Tech 2s on the board - putting a Hyperion/Tricycloid back in my hand to get a Crashbarrow out, then instantly replaying the Hyperion/Tricycloid, sounds a LOT of fun!). As for the Immortal, it’s nice to have a defensive option in case he does manage to get some kind of Blooming Ancient/MoLaC thing going on. And it might allow me to get a WGD out for more ridiculousness…

I didn’t know you could do that. THAT’S SO COOL! I’ll be travelling soon and didn’t want to lug all my cards with me.

I think I’ve already lost this game, but I’m curious exactly how it ends…

Player 1 Turn 6

TECH

Speed of the Fox
Fox’s Den Students

STARTING HAND

Argonaut
Might of Leaf and Claw
Snapback
Savior Monk
Safe Attacking

WORKERS

Fox Viper
Sensei’s Advice
Smoker
Morningstar Flagbearer
Fox Primus
Safe Attacking

Next Hand

Might of Leaf and Claw
Blooming Ancient
Snapback
Fox’s Den Students

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($9)
Worker - ($8)
Recruit Argonaut - ($5)
Recruit Savior Monk - ($3)
Summon Argagarg and Wisp - ($1)
Rebuild Tech II
Patrol as shown below

Float ($1)
Discard 2, draw 1, reshuffle, draw 3

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Savior Monk (2/2+a) {Healing 1}
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Argonaut (3/4) {Readiness}
  • Argagarg Garg Lv. 1 (1/3)
  • :heart: Base HP: 18

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 8
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 10
Thoughts

He’s been keeping enough pressure on me this whole game that I’m not sure if MoLaC will even be possible to activate… Present Tech II is really good, and he got to Tech II first, so even if I had gone with it I doubt the results would be much different. At this point I’ve just teched more stuff to give me hasty options, though I wanted Speed of the Fox to be in my next hand instead of FDS.

We’ll see about that - it’s certainly not easy for me to break through that patrol zone this turn with what’s on the board and what’s in my hand.

I won’t be able to take my turn until tomorrow (which will be overnight your time) - so happy new year to you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

EDIT: forget this turn, I just realised I completely forgot your tower again! Will have to redo it…

New turn as follows.

(If you’re interested, the old one was pretty similar. But due to forgetting your tower, I was killing Saviour Monk with Tricycloid before flickering it, which doesn’t work now. And I mistakenly thought Rambaster would stay alive in killing the wisp. So the only changes are that Geiger only has 1 health left, and the Rambaster has gone to my discard.)

Oh, and I much preferred my draw for Turn 7 the last time I did this, but it’s my own fault for messing up my turn!

P2T6

TECH
Research and Development
Research and Development

STARTING HAND
Pillage
Nautical Dog
Feral Strike
Charge
Feral Strike

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Scorch
Bombaster
Pillage

NextHand

Temporal Distortion
Research and Development
Research and Development
Argonaut
Immortal

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($9)
Calamandra - ($7)
max Geiger, flickering the Tricycloid - ($5)
the “new” Tricycloid fires 3 shots at Argagarg, killing him. Calamandra gains 2 free levels, giving resist 1 to all my units again.

Calamandra to Max - ($3)
Geiger kills Savior Monk, taking 3 damage
Makeshift Rambaster trades with Wisp - you get 1 gold
Nautical Dog - ($2)
worker - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Tricycloid (3/3+1A, no shots left, resist 1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1, frenzy 1. resist 1)
  • max Geiger (3/1)
  • max Calamandra (4/5)

• Deck: 8
  • Gold: 1
Thoughts

I’m not typing out my detailed thoughts again. Obviously it’s Feral strike I’m after. But I haven’t drawn it, although I do have both my R&Ds - but that means I really need both Calamandra and Geiger to still be there. And he has access to snapback…

But shouldn’t complain, I’ve got 3 other good card in hand :slight_smile:

Whoops! I didn’t mean to leave this for a whole month… I’ve been home for a while, but things kept popping up and I was no longer in the habit of checking the forums (lack of Internet access during portions of my trip didn’t help). Do you still want to finish this game? I’ll admit that I haven’t played more than two other games of Codex – both against beginners – since my trip, so I’m pretty rusty.

Oh yeah, happy (belated) new year!

2 Likes

Welcome back, and a belated happy new year to you too! (Perhaps I should wish you a happy Chinese New Year, then it’s not so belated :wink: ) No problem with the delay - to be honest I just assumed other stuff had come up in your life and you didn’t have time (or didn’t consider it a priority) to check these forums any more.

Now you mention it, I would like to finish the game, provided I can remember what was going on and what I was planning (my “thoughts” above will make good notes to myself, I hope). If only because I lost all 3 of my CAWS games with this deck, and never got close to doing anything cool with it - but I seem to recall I have chances to do some of that stuff in this game.

Having said that, I myself am quite a bit busier than I was last year - I’ve not actually played Codex of any sort for about 3 weeks, and probably can’t commit to more than perhaps 1 move per day for the forseeable future. Especially as I’ve decided to enter the “random deck” tournament which starts on Monday. That’s still 4 days away though, and our game is pretty well advanced. So yes, let’s try to finish it - but then I won’t be able to play any more casual games for the forseeable future.

2 Likes

Sounds good! I doubt I’d want to take more than one turn a day anyway, and I don’t really want to do any more online Codex for a while. Maybe the odd game here and there to help new players, but only one game per person so things stay manageable. I’ll go over my own notes and hopefully be able to take my turn tomorrow.

Well, it’s up to you. While I would like to finish the game, if only as a tidying-up exercise, please don’t feel obliged to if you’re not in the mood for online Codex at all.

No problem with finishing this. Shouldn’t take too long, especially since I’m about to lose…

Player 1 Turn 7

Starting Hand and Workers

STARTING HAND

Might of Leaf and Claw
Snapback
Blooming Ancient
Fox’s Den Students

WORKERS

Fox Viper
Sensei’s Advice
Smoker
Morningstar Flagbearer
Fox Primus
Safe Attacking

Next Hand

Oversized Rhinoceros
Might of Leaf and Claw
Now!

Discard

Savior Monk
Snapback
Fox’s Den Students

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid + float + scavenger - ($12)
Recruit Blooming Ancient - ($8)
Research Might of Leaf and Claw - ($5)
Summon Setsuki, +1/+1 to Ancient - ($3)
Ancient transfers +1/+1 rune to Argonaut
Argonaut kills Tricycloid and takes 3 damage, +1 growth rune
Setsuki casts Snapback to swap Calamandra for Drakk - ($0)
Patrol as shown below

Float ($0)
Discard 1, draw 3

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Argonaut (4/2+a) (Readiness)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Blooming Ancient (2/4)
  • Might of Leaf and Claw
  • Setsuki Lv. 1 (1/3) ($1 to attack)
  • :heart: Base HP: 18

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 5
  • Disc: 3
Thoughts

It’s been a while, and while he may not be able to immediately close out the game, my feeling at this point was that he had a pretty good advantage. The best I could do was reduce his board presence and prevent him from keeping more than one maxed hero. I’ve already built my deck, so hopefully I can keep things going long enough to activate MoLaC (since I was able to get it out).

I’m glad you’re so confident about the outcome! I’ve forgotten how to play Codex well (if indeed I ever knew), have obviously completely lost track of this game - and see no way to win quickly. I have no idea whether I’ve made the right decisions here (the main one being choosing to break your Tower while leaving your Tech 2 intact…)

P2T7

TECH
Warp Gate Disciple

STARTING HAND
Research and Development
Argonaut
Temporal Distortion
Research and Development
Immortal
Feral Strike (R&D)
Bloodrage Ogre (R&D)
Mad Man (R&D)
Makeshift Rambaster (R&D)
Ferocity (R&D)

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Scorch
Bombaster
Pillage

NextHand

Hyperion
Temporal Distortion
Feral Strike
Charge
Nautical Dog

Tech 1 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($11)
Geiger casts Research and Development, I draw 5 cards - ($9)
Drakk to Max - ($4)
Argonaut, gains Haste - ($1)
Nautical Dog (now with frenzy 2) trades with your Argonaut
my Argonaut kills Blooming Ancient, taking 3 damage. You draw 1.
Mad Man, suicides to deal 2 damage to your Tower - ($0)
Geiger sacrifices himself to break your Tower, your base to 16. Sets to level 3.

Float ($0)
Discard 7, draw 3, reshuffle, draw 2

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: max Drakk (3/4+1A)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Argonaut (3/1, Readiness)

• Deck: 10
Thoughts

As I suspected, he had Snapback to spoil my fun plans. I’m definitely ahead, but I don’t feel massively confident of winning any more.

My (first) R&D didn’t draw me my Hyperion, as I’d hoped it would. Then I could have played that, attacked to kill Blooming Ancient, then TD’ed it into a Crashbarrow or something else. I could still have made that play by using my second R&D, but by not even having 2 gold to play Bloodrage Ogre, I end up with something that feels inferior to what I’ve done here.

So, having decided not to do that, I saw 2 main decisions in how to play: which building to break, and which hero to finish it off with. I’m taking a risk by leaving his Tech 2 intact when I didn’t have to - but he only has 4 cards and has just played two of his main Tech 2 options. I’m gambling that he doesn’t have a Tech 2 in hand - and if he does, it’s not likely to be hugely impactful. A second Blooming Ancient is what I fear most, but that’s a chance I’m taking. His Tower costs him 3 gold to replace, and is doing work for him on each of my turns - I think it’s better to get rid of that. Note that I’m not worried by his MoLaC if I can keep clearing (or all-but-clearing) his board.

As for which hero to do the killing blow - while it’s tempting to have that be Drakk, to keep Geiger alive for another turn and therefore be able to play R&D or TD should I draw them next turn, he’d likely die on his turn anyway. And I’d rather have a body with more than 1 HP as squad leader, because he can midband Sets and use her swift strike. As it is, I think Dinosize is the only thing that would let him kill my Drakk next turn.

I don’t have to tech now, being at 10 workers (I’d have loved to play an 11th, with my massive hand - but couldn’t spare the gold). I’ve teched a WGD anyway, because if I draw it with a maxed Drakk on the board (or Charge in hand) it’ll let me do more fun things. And it’s hardly a dead draw even if not hasted, provided I can keep a reasonable patrol zone intact. I nearly used my second Tech slot too, on War Drums - but with no guarantee of drawing that when I have a max Drakk on the board, and Snapback in his deck, it’s too much bloat I think. Fun though it would be to be the crazy guy who puts all three of his ultimate spells in the deck ! :smiley:

Vague future plans - keep killing hits units/heroes/buildings, with the help of my haste. Get Calamandra back in play and maxed, and perhaps try to build Tech 3. (Feral strike into Octavian, with Haste? What do you mean, that needs LOADS OF GOLD to make work? You’re just a spoilsport! Plus there’s always Pirate-Gang Commander or Moss Ancient…)

(Oh, and as a postscript - I don’t see any reason in hindsight why I didn’t patrol Calamandra in Lookout last turn…)

1 Like