Casual: Hobusu vs FrozenStorm (Core Set)

Ah, you’re right… Well, that’s a pain. Let’s see… If I swap it with the Tiger Cub that was in my hand, that would be legal (and get rid of the floating gold). Would that be acceptable?

(Clearly too tired to keep playing, hence why I was going to go to bed…)

I can work with that, yep! Gnight :slight_smile:

There, that should be everything fixed. Remind me to check the output from the spreadsheet tomorrow, or it might slip in references to the previous, illegal play. Good night! :slight_smile:

Hey Hobusu, check the spreadsheet to make sure it’s legal :wink:

Game 5, Player 1, Turn 4

P1 Red vs P2 Green

[details=Starting Hand]
Charge
Bloodburn
Desperation
[/details]

##Events of Turn:

###Upkeep:

• Get Gold (7+1float)
  • Tech 2 cards in

[details=All Teched Cards]
Captured Bugblatter, Crashbarrow
Lobber, Desperation
Gunpoint Taxman, Lobber
[/details]

###Main:

• Max out Zane, shove Panda to lookout (3)
  • Mad Man trades with Panda
  • Zane kills Tiger Cub, takes 3 damage, we both get 1g (4)
  • Taxman kills Water Elemental, you get 1 card, I steal your 1g (5)
  • Makeshift Rambaster hits your base to 12hp, takes 1 damage from tower
  • Worker Up (4)
  • Tech 2 - Blood (0)

[details=Workers]
Pillage, Scorch
[/details]

• :pspurpleshield: Patrol as below
  • Discard 2 Draw 4
  • Tech 2 cards before my next turn

###Board Info:
####Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 20
  • Tech1 HP: 5
  • Tech2 HP: 5 SPEC BLOOD

####In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader:
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :pspig: Scavenger:
  • :exhaust: Technician: Lobber (2/2)
  • :target: Lookout:

####In Play:

• Makeshift Rambaster (1/1 from 1 damage)
  • Zane (4/1 from 3 damage)

###Economy Info:

####Cards:

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 6

####Gold:

• Gold: 0
  • Workers: 8

[details=End of Turn Hand]
Lobber
Bloodrage Ogre
Nautical Dog
Bombaster
[/details]

[details=End of Turn Discard][spoiler]

[/spoiler][/details]

[details=My Thoughts][spoiler]
Hmm interesting that he shells up, as if I can’t break it up without too much trouble :slight_smile: Zane the insane always finds pressure to place.

I’ll have options if he doesn’t kill lobber to tech lab or something else, but in all likelihood I’m just midbanding Drakk + Lobber next turn for some #pressure. I suppose there’s a universe in which I level Jaina though!
[/spoiler][/details]

I’m pretty sure you’ve won this… I just don’t know how to play Codex, apparently. I mean, I understand well enough to beat anyone new to the game, but I feel like the one time I beat you was a bit of a fluke? After this game is over, I’d appreciate it if you could give me some pointers.

Game 5. Player 2 Turn 4

Tech, Starting Hand, and Workers

TECH

Rampaging Elephant
Barkcoat Bear

STARTING HAND

Verdant Tree
Merfolk Prospector
Dinosize
Young Treant
Forest’s Favor
Rampant Growth

WORKERS

Rich Earth
Spore Shambler
Ironbark Treant
Verdant Tree

[details=Next Hand]Galina Glimmer
Rampant Growth
Dinosize
Centaur
Tiny Basilisk

[/details]
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($9)
Play Young Treant & draw a card - ($7)
Build Tech II - Feral - ($3)
Worker - ($2)
Argagarg casts Rampant Growth on himself - ($0)
Argagarg safely kills Lobber (You draw 1 card)
Patrol as shown below

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 3, reshuffle, draw 2

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Young Treant (0/2) [Can’t Attack]
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Argagarg Garg Lv. 5 (1/5)
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 15
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Feral)
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 6
  • Disc: 0
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Workers: 9

No need to hide my thoughts now. Basically, I had a somewhat mediocre hand to work with, and I can’t muster enough defense to stop you (especially since I’m expecting Crashbarrows any moment now). Also, how should I have reacted to you destroying my Tech I building? I ended up not teching any Tech II units that turn, but maybe I should have? Probably also should have teched more spells, for that matter.

No need to feel like you don’t know how to play @Hobusu, you’re playing just fine; sometimes bad breaks happen, sometimes lucky draws happen, and sometimes one small mistake ends up being very difficult to recover from.

In the case of this game, I think trading the Tiger Cub and Bombaster was just not a great choice. However slight, that was a positive trade for me, whereas if you keep the Cub home to block in SQL, I’m forced to make a bad trade to get rid of it. I also think going down a card there to get one more blocker down would have helped a lot.

Peeking at your hand for that turn, either putting Prospector in Scav and Wisp in Elite, or going Forest’s Favor on Arg to kill Bombaster, both would have been great choices. Giving me the card was exactly what I wanted, better chance to draw the Lobber. Giving me 1 gold isn’t nearly as detrimental.

Green Player 2 against Red really just tends to hang back and try to force unfavorable trades early on, using tower and maxing out Arg to aid in that pursuit, while working on building its strong Econ base and teching up to where it can really fight back hard.

As for this past turn, teching up to beefy Feral isn’t a bad choice but if you’re doing to do it, you can’t attack with Arg and only leave Young Treant to block: I’m already in base-race mode, you have to protect your health, leave me the lobber and scavenger Arg (he isn’t doing much good maxed out if you can’t stampede, you give levels over to me but it’s better than just guaranteed losing and you almost want him dead so you can summon him again for more blockers)

Game 5, Player 1, Turn 5

P1 Red vs P2 Green

[details=Starting Hand]
Lobber
Bloodrage Ogre
Nautical Dog
Bombaster
[/details]

##Events of Turn:

###Upkeep:

• Get Gold (8)
  • Tech 2 cards in

[details=All Teched Cards]
Captured Bugblatter, War Drums
Captured Bugblatter, Crashbarrow
Lobber, Desperation
Gunpoint Taxman, Lobber
[/details]

###Main:

• Drakk + midband (3)
  • Lobber (2)
  • Nautical Dog (1)
  • Lobber kills Young Treant, takes 1 damage, you draw 1
  • Makeshift Rambaster trades with your tower, your base to 10hp (it was at 12 not 15 ^_^)
  • Zane knocks your base to 6hp
  • Worker Up (0)

[details=Workers]
Bombaster, Careless Musketeer, Pillage, Scorch
[/details]

• :pspurpleshield: Patrol as below
  • Discard 2 Draw 4
  • Tech 2 cards before my next turn

###Board Info:
####Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 20
  • Tech1 HP: 5
  • Tech2 HP: 5 SPEC BLOOD

####In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader:
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :pspig: Scavenger:
  • :exhaust: Technician: Nautical Dog (1/1)
  • :target: Lookout:

####In Play:

• Lobber (2/1 from 1 damage)
  • Zane (4/1 from 3 damage)
  • Drakk (2/3 lvl 4)

###Economy Info:

####Cards:

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 2
  • Disc: 5

####Gold:

• Workers: 9

[details=End of Turn Hand]
Desperation
Lobber
Captured Bugblatter
Crashbarrow
[/details]

[details=End of Turn Discard]
Makeshift Rambaster
Gunpoint Taxman
Bloodrage Ogre
Captured Bugblatter
War Drums
[/details]

[details=My Thoughts]
Trying to tech up, not gonna happen, need to block with Arg 'cuz I’m already in base Race mode
[/details]

Yeah, there’s pretty much no chance for me to win at this point. Good game, @FrozenStorm!

I think a big part of my problem is still that I don’t know how to properly balance using things in my hand vs things that don’t cost a card (add-ons, heroes), and I don’t recognize which situations I should be attacking or defending. Part of it might be that Red and Green are too extreme for me to wrap my head around fully… I tend to prefer the more balanced option in games, with a slight lean toward aggro.

That’s part of why I want to try White, since it looks like Ninjutsu is pretty aggressive (but not quite Red level) and Strength is more defensive (but not quite Green level), with Discipline somewhere in between. Obviously I’m probably oversimplifying, since I haven’t even tried playing one game with it yet, but that initial impression has appealed to me.

White is by far my favorite mono-color both thematically and play-wise. It is a little tough to navigate early turns against an Aggro deck as P2, as you don’t have any 3+ health starter cards (and only one 2hp for 2g), but as P1 the early game is highly aggro for it and a lot of fun.

Good luck in the RACE, if you want to try out White before the tourney really hits high heat I’d be happy to spar another game!

I’d like that! I’d really like to try White, so you can pick any monocolor. I got a random 35, for what it’s worth.