CAPS 2017: Barrelfish ([Finesse]/Present/Law) vs. ARMed-Pirate (Mono Red)

Pirate

idk his hand, but breaking both his techs have crippled him, since he has no HH or tower. Hence either he has spells for a non bigby hero or imho he is dead, since he cannot summon much. at this point i believe most of his tech 0 troops are workering

Point of fact, Barrelfish’s Tech I is still operational. I only did 4 damage with Rambaster, so it’s got 1 HP left!

2 Likes

Why couldn’t you rebuild your t3 there? Because the t2 is disabled you don’t meet the prereq?

That’s right. To build or rebuild Tech II or III, your Tech I or II (respectively) has to be operational.

1 Like

Soundtrack of this turn: Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive (Official Video) - YouTube

P1T9

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Jurisdiction
Scribe

STARTING HAND
Nimble Fencer
Argonaut
Timely Messenger
Tricycloid
Argonaut

WORKERS
Fruit Ninja
Brick Thief
Helpful Turtle
Spark
Bloom

NextHand

Temporal Distortion
Wither
Injunction
Hyperion
Nimble Fencer

Discard

Community Service
Injunction
Hyperion
Chronofixer
Temporal Distortion
Argonaut
Timely Messenger
Nimble Fencer
Tricycloid
Jurisdiction
Scribe

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($9)
Rebuild Tech II again
Argonaut #1 - ($6)
Argonaut #2 - ($3)
Tower - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Argonaut #1 (3/4+A)
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :ps_: Scavenger:
  • :pschip: Technician: Argonaut #2 (3/4)
  • :target: Lookout:
    In Play:

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 13
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 1
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Present)
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 1
  • Disc: 11
    Gold:
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 9
Thoughts

Just delaying the inevitable at this point, but I’ll force him to actually play this out

1 Like

Are you ready Zane?
Jaina?
Drakk?

All right, fellas! Let’s goooooooooooooo!!!

P2T9

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Pillage
Mad Man

WORKERS

Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Nautical Dog
Charge
Bombaster

NextHand

Pirate Gunship
Ember Sparks

Discard

Marauder
Lobber
Flame Arrow
Mad Man
Pillage

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($10)
Summon Captain “Maximum Anarchy” Zane, to maximum - ($3)
----- And the man in the back :zane: is ready to crack as he raises his hands to the sky!
----- And the girl in the corner :jaina: is everyone’s mourner: she could kill you with a wink of her eye.
----- Yeah! Yeah! Yeah-yeah-yeah!
----- And the man in the back :zane: said, “Everyone attack!” and it turned into a ballroom blitz!
Zane shoves your SQL Argo to Scavenger and pokes it for 1, bringing it to 3/3
----- And the girl in the corner :jaina: said, “Boy, I wanna warn ya: it’ll turn into a ballroom blitz!”
Jaina suicides into Technician Argo, bringing it to 3/2, and sparking the Scav Argo to 3/2
----- Ballroom blitz!
Recruit Mad Man - ($2)
----- Ballroom blitz!
Mad Man trades with Scavenger Argo in a Frenzy; you get $1
----- Ballroom blitz!
Drakk kills Technician Argo, dying to Tower and dealing 1 to your base; you draw
----- Ballroom blitz!

----- Oooooh, yeah!
Zane casts Pillage, - ($1)
----- It was electric!
stealing your scav bonus and dealing 2 to your base, because yo-ho Marauder - ($2) *
----- So frantically hectic!
Rambaster bastes your base for for 3, taking 1 from Tower
----- And the band started leaving,
Marauder raids your base for 4, dying to Tower
----- 'Cause they all stopped breathing!!!
Zane (4/4) takes your base out himself
----- Yeah! Yeah! Yeah-yeah-yeah!

----------------------------------------------------* (Achievement unlocked - “Give nothing back.”)

Float ($2)
Discard 0, draw 2

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: It’s, it’s a ballroom blitz!
  • :psfist: Elite: It’s, it’s a ballroom blitz!
  • :ps_: Scavenger: It’s, it’s a ballroom blitz!
  • :exhaust: Technician: Yeah!
  • :target: Lookout: It’s a ballroom blitz!
    In Play:
  • Makeshift Rambaster (1/1)
  • Captain Zane, Lv. 6 (4/3), giving a cool thumbs-up pose. (:
    Buildings:
  • :heart: Base HP: 18
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Anarchy)
  • :heart: Tech III HP: 5
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 2
  • Deck: 3
  • Disc: 5
    Gold:
  • Gold: 2
  • Workers: 10

Thoughts:
I think my only misplay was on my last turn. I should have hit your base with Rambaster instead of Tech I (I was thinking that if draws didn’t work out, being able to poke T1 with Ember Sparks (if I drew it) or Jaina midband would help me lock down both techs. Alternatively, I should have not played Lobber and drawn a 3-card hand with a 70% chance to Gunship, wipe your stuff, and overrun your base like crazy. As it was I really had to think hard to find lethal this turn. (There may be another, more stylish, route to it that I missed.) It was a super-fun puzzle.

7 Likes

Loooooooool.

Every game finishing turn must be set to music. Tournament winner decided by best choreography

2 Likes

applauds

That was brilliant

1 Like

I’m happy to please. (:

That was actually an inspired play with the two Argonauts and the Tower!
If you had brought a hero out there was a good chance I might have been able to win by hitting you with 3 maxband heroes (an achievement that will have to wait for some future day). I was expecting Fencers, maybe one Argo, but that was a much bigger wall than I anticipated. Suddenly I had to stretch just to make lethal.

That was a good game! Thanks so much for making it entertaining and challenging along the way.

Oh! In rushing off to dinner I forgot to poke @EricF.

So, I just read over your thoughts and mine and realized we had a few crucial errors in our thoughts (in addition to my worry about Discord killing Marauder, which @Shadow_Night_Black pointed out was impossible).

The main one on your end is that in a few places you suggest Injunctioning my Tech III. I was worried about this, until I looked over Injunction again and realized it only hits Tech I and Tech II.

On my end, I had a turn where I was really worried you’d play Grounded Guide. I either somehow forgot that GG was Tech II or that you were running Present (not Finesse) and didn’t have a Tech Lab. Silly, silly.

Oh, and on my last turn, I forgot that Drakk hits your base for 1 when he dies! #RedProblems
(I’m going to edit to fix that last one, 'cause it’s bugging me.)

Also, I finally found another line to victory; it’s pretty similar, but less damage is wasted:

1. Zane shenanigans same as above.
  2. Drakk trades with scav Argo. Base to 12. You get $1.
  3. Zane takes out technician Argo (we both draw).
  4. Jaina Pillages. Base to 10. $8 of $11 spent.
  5. Marauder hits base to 6.
  6. Rambaster hits base to 3.
  7. If Zane drew Ember Sparks, Jaina burns Tech I for 1 and base for 2, dealing 4. Else, recruit MM and hit base to 2, swing with Jaina for 2 and the win.

I think I missed this originally because I had forgotten about the damage from Drakk’s death. It feels cleaner, but maybe also less Red.

3 Likes