Balance Patch 2.1

Maybe for clarity the list should always include all changes including ones from previous versions, and ones that are unchanged from previous versions could be marked with italics or something?

1 Like

I had a test match against Zango and the Vandy doom nerf was really not fun to play in this matchup. You always have to consider the consequences in Codex, but here it was just annoying.

The issue was, against birds. If they are out (and they are already annoying) you have to doom them, if no other 1/1 unit is out, which is usually not the case. This means you will phase directly 4 damage, which are often enough to decide the game. So you are always considering when you can maxband Vandy and when might birds come out. This should not be the main focus of the matchup. I think similar things can happen with nullcraft. Haunt is something to consider as well.

Maxbanding should not have such a negative impact in certain matchups. I understand the purpose of the change, but it should be solved somehow different, e.g. like before but just remove the target effect. Or make doom optional.

I’m personally not married to that specific change. The more important nerf to Vandy IMHO is her midband not fetching Meta.

1 Like

Meta hits vandy very hard, indeed. But it seems to be fair and does not change the flow of the game.

What was the rationale behind the Vandy maxband change? I didn’t see any discussion of it before it just showed up in the list of changes. It feels yucky to me.

Everything else mostly looks good. I’d maybe swap Troq’s midband and maxband, since my gut says the overpower is better in early game combat for clearing patrols, and the building damage is mostly important once Troq is at maxband so he can one shot a tech building.

The vandy doom tinkering originates from blue vs black testing, but they didn’t come to a lot situations where this mattered.

As Moby wrote: we tested as well and it’s really a big thing to be able to force the opponent into what to doom.
I’m inclined to say we should restrict ourself to further test the non-Meta-fetch change first and we’ll see how hot vandy still is after all the other nerfs.

2 Likes

Please do note that I did leave out the vandy maxband nerf for the upcoming tourney. Let me know if you have strong feelings about including this nerf for the tourney.

1 Like

I think it’s a great change for Blue vs Black and the Birds / Nullcraft issues should be very workable (like don’t lean so heavy on early Vandy max in those matchups :wink: ), but I have no objection for the purposes of the current tourney leaving it alone for now

1 Like

Oh that was pretty nasty to play. In theory you can work around it if you already leading in the game. But it was more a question of dooming Vandy and losing her to face a maxband Rook or not dooming Vandy and loosing her to face a maxband Rook. It was disturbing the game flow, because you always have to consider that and anyway end up in a dead end.

I understand the purpose with blue. It only affects the game of Bryce and me. We can leave the function like it is (I choose the victims) but remove the target effect.

I just realized we probably added an unintended partial buff to MoLaC. Yes, we decreased the stats, but with the current ruling it sounds like the buff holds until your next upkeep, even if the opponent destroys the MoLaC. What are your thoughts on this?

I don’t see a big problem with that

1 Like

That was intended on my part. The idea was to make MoLaC a little less “feast or famine” against codices with upgrade removal.

I’ve been mulling over a possible deck that combines blood and peace. There I did realize that the current garrison nerf accidentally shuts down kidnapping.
I strongly suggest that we should go for the proposal from @Nekoatl for our next balance patch:
Garrison changes rule text to:
Haste. Exhaust: Until end of turn, whenever you play a unit from hand, that unit loses haste and cannot gain haste, and you draw a card.

What are your thoughts?

It’s complex and I prefer the alternative as I think it’s

• Simpler
  • More on theme
  • Fine that it eliminates things like kidnapping or other haste (you have Drill sergeant to create “hasty damage”)

That said, I don’t think it’s too complex and it’s probably fine on the other points too.

I understand your reasoning and if the proposed text is too complex - absolutely fine with me to find something different!
I just don’t like that the current garrison nerf makes crash barrow, sharks, shoddy glider and kidnapping essentially dead cards in case you have a garrison out. That can’t be in line with the intention of the game to have a card in your codex that forbids you to play some of your other available cards.

Deactivating the maxband drakk effect also hurts, but that’s probably just fine.

Are we actually concerned with units being given haste from spells while Garrison is active? My intuition is that it’s probably not something to be worried about. On balance, I definitely prefer narrow nerfs that keep as much of the original game play intact as possible.

“Whenever you play a unit from hand, that unit loses Haste and you draw a card”

Would still be pretty elegant, keeps other card combos alive but still strongly nerfs Burning Legion.

3 Likes

I like that @thehug0naut

1 Like

Loses haste, or loses haste that turn?

1 Like

A good point to clarify. I think “loses haste this turn” is the sweet spot for the minimal nerf and minimising book keeping.

So the full text would be:

“Whenever you play a unit from hand, that unit loses Haste this turn and you draw a card”

My intent here is that Drakk Maxband would still work and you could still Now! or Bloodlust your haste back

1 Like

I like this, and think it resolves most issues. The main question I have is how it would interact with Nimble Fencer.

2 Likes