Balance patch 2.0

Some card penalties I was vaguely thinking of for Dark Pact, where X is 1 or 2:

• At the start of your next turn, discard X cards.
  • At the start of the next upkeep for an opponent, they look at your hand and choose X cards for you to discard. (A little awkward, but trying to keep things asynchronous.)

I really like that idea of revealing your hand, discard probably is too rough. Maybe a mix might be a good compromise: gold cost 1 and reveal your hand until your next upkeep

1 Like

Just brainstorming here, but another potential nerf for Dark Pact could be to make it so Vandy’s midband doesn’t target it.

I think DP needs to be nerfed when it’s teched in as well. This might be an additional nerf to be considered, though.

3 Likes

I imagine that would require some pretty cumbersome wording. I think it makes more sense to exclude Metamorphosis, by adding “non-ultimate” to the current wording.

5 Likes

This is kind of impossible without revealing tech choices, which is sort of something we don’t really want.

I understood zango as saying that the card itself should be nerfed, as opposed to just its interaction with Vandy’s midband.

3 Likes

Exactly that’s what I meant, but yeah, my statement was not that clear…

1 Like

It should just cost 1g. It’s still the best card draw in the game costing 1g, but it and Deteriorate costing 1g mostly solve the problems with both imo. Black can’t bully as effectively spending gold on those

3 Likes

I think both of these are the cleanest solutions and will make a big difference in Black’s power on the first few turns without making those cards unplayable.

3 Likes

Far from it. They’re both still superior versions of other cards in the game:

• DP is MM with the discard swapped for 2 base damage
  • DP is cheaper and easier to pull off TR

• Det is better than Spark in most circumstances
  • Det is better than wither in most circumstances and cheaper

I’d still play them often, they just cease to be slam dunk why not play them cards like they are now. In their current state you basically play them every time you draw them, adding 1g just makes them an actual decision in more situations. I’d still tech DP most games as Vandy, and I’d still almost never worker Deteriorate.

2 Likes

And without looking at the opponent’s hand. Plus, MM played as your last card circumvents the discard.

2 Likes

Oh right TY, I forgot about that. Still, I think I want DP > MM in most cases. +1 card (minus empty hand scenario) and base damage > seeing opponent’s hand

1 Like

going back to the blue vs purple discussion, do one of the minor buffs to purple’s starter that @Shadow_Night_Black suggested be included? I am not an expert on the matchup so I differ to you guys.

I’d say a buff to Forgotten Fighter is worth trying out, either reducing its cost to $1 or allowing it to target non-patrolling units. I’m still mindful of @Bryce_The_Rice’s warning about messing with starter decks, but FF is in the running for worst card in the game.

Letting Tinkerer pop illusions is also probably fine. It’s cheaper than midband Arg / Bloodburn, but also easier to get rid of.
I definitely wouldn’t let Seer pop illusions. It’s already a good card, this would make it pretty much the best anti-illusion card in the game.

2 Likes

I think subtle buffs to terrible cards like forgotten fighter or porkhand magistrate are unlikely to move the needle in a significant way.

I’m in favour of buffing forgotten fighter to specifically be able to deal with Avens. In my limited experience in that matchup, the blue starter has a big advantage in that there aren’t any tools to respond to Aven (other than I suppose a Nullcraft in Elite) and blue has Arrest to make the Fading Argonaut significantly less attractive.

Maybe forgotten fighter could target tech 0 patrollers or illusions with 2 or less attack.

I’m not sure about buffing Porkhand Magistrate. Seems to me like he has a lot of potential value in certain situations.

What if you made Forgotten Fighter 1 gold and target any tech 0 or tech 1 cost 2 or less. Patroller or not.

You’re maybe getting +1 gold out of a -1 card trade, plus getting tempo.

Is that better than StW? I’d say no. Is that better than Rampant Growth or Sensei’s Advice? Maybe. It’s probably better than arrest or scorch now? Seems okay to me.

3 buffs all at once sounds like a lot, especially if we’re trying for a “light touch”.

1 Like