CAWS 2016: ARMed-Pirate ([Blood]/Demon/Strength) vs. EricF ([Past]/Peace/Anarchy)

Greetings, @EricF. Thanks for organizing! Good love: hard to find!

P1T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Careless Musketeer
Scorch
Nautical Dog
Bloodburn
Bombaster

WORKERS

Bloodburn

NextHand

Makeshift Rambaster
Charge
Mad Man
Pillage
Bloodrage Ogre

Discard

Bombaster
Scorch
Careless Musketeer

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($4)
Worker - ($3)
Recruit a very Naughty Dog - ($2)
Summon Drakakak - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1, Frenzy 1)
  • :exhaust: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Drakk Ramhorn (1/3, Lv. 1)
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 20

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 5

[details=Thoughts]
This is my first time playing against PPA. Maybe I should have read up on what it does? I know it’s considered the strongest deck, generally speaking. Let’s completely ignore what it’s supposed to do, then be surprised when my plans are wrecked! (:

[/details]

2 Likes

GL;HF;ATJ

[details=P2, Turn 1][spoiler]Hardened Mox
Forgotten Fighter
Fading Argonaut
Nullcraft
Neo Plexus -> Worker

With a hero in play, I need to spend all 4 gold, and kill the dog, so that means 2 of Zane, Onimaru, Nullcraft, and Fading Argo. Since my next hand is crap, I think I can just go Nullcraft + Fading Argo, space out the additional workers / summon a hero next turn, and avoid any opening for Drakk to gain free levels. Then, I patrol in Elite so the Fading Argo is safe from anything except Scorch + mad man (a great trade for me) or guy + charge, also a great trade, or Drakk suiciding (plus something more) - any way you slice it, it will cost him 4 gold and at least 1 card, wheras patrolling in any non-Elite slot lets Drakk level up, hit him for 2, and then finish him off with a Mad Man… so I guess patrol in Technician??? but then Drakk could spend 5/6 gold to max-band, and just kill him cleanly… then die to Zane. Or he could skip a worker to Mad Man and get some healing…plus I don’t have anything in my next hand that I would want to play anyway!

Workering Plexus because none of those specs have a good answer to buffed Mox (just Kidnapping, which is medium), so that might come down turn 3/4, depending.
[/spoiler][/details]
5 gold (5)
Worker (4)
Fading Argonaut (2)
Nullcraft (0)
Nullcraft kills the Naughty Dog, you get a gold
Discard 2, Draw 4.

Elite - Fading Argonaut (3/3) [3 fade runes]

Nullcraft (1/1) flying, can’t be targeted by Blood Lust or Kidnapping

Base - 20

6 workers, 0 gold
Hand: 4
Deck: 1
Discard: 2

[details=Next Hand]Plasmodium
Tinkerer
Battle Suits
Time Spiral
[/details]

Edit: Forgot about multicolor penalty. Will have to redo turn. Give me a bit.
Edt 2: Fixed. I rolled back to the earlier version, so shuffle and draw have been re-done as well, but now the turn is legal. Only real difference: no Mad Man.

[details=Thoughts][spoiler]
It occurred to me after I took my last turn that Nullcraft could be a problem. I don’t have any good answers to fliers at Tech I. The best I have are my own fliers, Birds and Gargoyle. And if I can take out Nullcraft, I’ll have the air advantage. So that’s what I’m teching. Note that Careless Musketeer is an answer to Nullcraft (as is Bloodburn; with my deck I should have played it instead of workering, and counted on my haste to come back against any of his early aggression). So I’ll have to remember not to worker that too soon. Oh! And I should remember tower!

Note that because of Zane’s Chaos Mirrors, my usual strat of TQ+DG is very dangerous. Haste and ephemeral is a good way to avoid it, so I might be going Blood, but I’m afraid I’ll leave myself open to his own aggression.

I could spend 4 to charge a BRO into his Argo, but that’s really inefficient. So I’m building Tech I and Tower. Do I float the remaining gold? MM? But then how do I engineer it that Drakk dies so I can pull Rook out? But without making it too easy for him? Edit: There is no $ for Mad Man.

Okay, I’m trying Drakk in Elite. It’s weird being the one with backup support from the Tower. Esp. as player 1. I drew the nest, not Gargoyle, so if I can find an efficient way to kill Drakk and get Rook out (if he doesn’t do it for me), I will. But I’ve got options. Scorch or Bombaster for immediate damage to his defense; a protected Musketeer in Scav or Technician could force him to trade his Nullcraft at just below parity, or risk getting picked out of the sky the next turn. Or I could cheaply Naughty Dog in one of those spots and force him to trade the Nullcraft if he doesn’t want to get hit. Edit: Meet the new hand, same as the old hand, but MM and BRO instead of Musketeer and Scorch.
[/spoiler][/details]

P1T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH

Gargoyle
Bird’s Nest

STARTING HAND
Charge
Makeshift Rambaster
Bloodrage Ogre
Mad Man
Pillage

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Pillage

NextHand

Bloodrage Ogre
Mad Man
Bird’s Nest
Makeshift Rambaster
Bombaster

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Scavenger bonus - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Build Tech I - ($3)
Build Tower - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 4, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Drakk Ramhorn (1+1/3, Lv. 1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:

• :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

• Deck: 5
  • Disc: 0
  • Workers: 6

[details=P2, turn 2]hand: plasmoid -> Worker
Battle suits
Tinkerer
Time spiral

Tech in Boot Camp and Taxman

I’ve got a bunch of different 2 cost things I could end the turn with:
L3 Oni
L3-4 Zane
Fading Argo
Nullcraft
Battle Suits
Tech 1

After due consideration of all permutations, I think it isn’t realistic to expect the tower to be destroyed before Nullcraft attacks again, so I’ll do the thing that puts the most potential pressure on Mr. Pirate over the next couple of turns, rather than go for the most damage this turn.
Teching generally useful answers to most things he could be going for (gargoyle, Birds, boulder) [/details]
6 gold (6)
Worker (5)
Onimaru (3)
Tech 1 (1)
Fading argo and Nullcraft trade with Drakk
Discard 3, draw 1, rs, draw 4. Float 1 gold.

SQL - L3 Onimaru (2/3 +1)

Base - 19
Tech 1 - 5

7 workers, 1 gold
Hand: 5
Deck: 5
Discard: 0

P1T3

TECH

Soul Stone
Shoddy Glider

STARTING HAND
Makeshift Rambaster
Mad Man
Bombaster
Bird’s Nest
Bloodrage Ogre

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Pillage
Makeshift Rambaster

NextHand

Gargoyle
Nautical Dog
Careless Musketeer
Scorch
Charge

Discard

Bombaster
Bird’s Nest
Mad Man
Bloodrage Ogre
Soul Stone
Shoddy Glider

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Summon Garus Rook - ($3)
Rook casts Bird’s Nest - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 4, draw 5

• :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Garus Rook, Lv. 1 (2+1/4)
  • Oona Bird (1/1, Flying)
  • Baba Bird (1/1, Flying)

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 6
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 7

That went just the way I wanted it to. He spent 2 on Nullcraft, and 2 on FArgo. I spent 1 on NDog and got 1 back from Scavenger. I spent 2 on Drakk and he got 2 levels on Oni. So we basically broke even (though I did 1 to his base! First blood!) which is better than I hoped against Eric. More importantly, I can get birds out. I’m going to try patrolling Rook in Elite as well, since with Tower as backup, he’d need a max Oni to take him without trading.

Arg. I have to worker my hasty 1-drop, my hasty building-basher, or one of my two best 2-drops. Do not like. Since the MM is the only thing I can play this turn while still doing worker+Rook+Birds, I’m going to keep him around. And I think Eric is going to make it hard for me to get a Rambaster through, so let’s worker that.

Also, Tech I and spells I want to tech in: Bloodlust, Kidnapping, War Drums. Crash Bomber, Ardra’s Boulder, Soul Stone, Dark Pact, Shadow Blade, Entangling Vines (never used it), another Gargoyle. Tech II I want to tech in: Shoddy Glider, Crashbarrow, Banefire Golem, Blackhand Dozer, Shrine of Forbidden Knowledge, Whitestar Grappler, Colossus, Morningstar Pass. So I guess I better weigh my strats and choose one.

Strat 0: TQ + DG. It’s what I built this deck to do. But I think I need to save it for opponents who don’t have access to Chaos Mirror. Rejected.

Strat 1: Flyers + War Drums. It may be hard for me to keep Drakk at max long enough for that to happen, but if I feint with Rook, maybe? This argues for Blood. It would help to have a bigger hand, so a Tech Lab and Shrine might be worth it. Soul Stone on Gargoyle or birds would be sweet. I might also want more cheap units to take advantage of the bigger hand, which makes me consider AB and CB. I also have never played PGC, and would love to, so Blood sounds great.

Strat 2: Banefire + EQ. Rook’s easier to keep around at max because of Two Lives, and Bloodlust to bypass patrollers when he comes into play is sweet. This argues for Demon. But I’ve never gotten this to work (perhaps because I’ve always been pursuing too many strats). Crashbombers would be great fodder for Golem. But Origin Story is a thing, which makes a big investment in Rook unlikely to pay off.

Strat 3: Demons. This is a bit of a waste without the Black starter. But Shrine+Dozer/Banefire seems good. This would be Demon. I’m not sure how it’s supposed to play out, though. I might want to Tech Lab Strength to get Morningstar Pass. Shrine+Pass seems hilarous, even if it won’t help me win in and of itself.

Strat 4: Strength Grapplers until Oathkeeper. I love Oathkeeper’s art. his downsides scare the business out of me.

I’m going with Strat 1. I’m going to start with Soul Stone and Glider for now, because I don’t think I’ll regret having them, and next turn I’ll decide what else I want to add.

Hrrmm. If I play MM this turn, then next turn I won’t have enough to play Gargoyle and Tech II and worker. Unless I patrol in Scav and he kills it. But if he doesn’t kill it, I’ll miss the money. So I’ll keep MM in hand. I still don’t want to worker him, because he adds to War Drums nicely. But does my new strat change who I do want to worker? Hrrrm. Nope.

I should keep in mind that if he doesn’t build his Tech II next turn, I could spend all my money (forgoing worker and Tech) to Charge out and activate my Gargoyle. That plus 1 bird = broken Tech I, keeping us both at Tech I for a bit. Since my Tech I units are stronger than his, that might be the way to go. But I don’t know if it’s worth being behind on econ.
[/spoiler]

[/details]

1 Like

[details=p2, turn 3]Battle Suits
Temporal Research -> Worker
Boot camp
Fading argo
Hardened Mox

No fliers defense at all, that’s exciting. I suppose that means I need a tower, but I can try to draw first. That would let me get a permanent presence down, while keeping your board minimal, and hopefully hitting Tech 2 next turn.

Tech in Cadet plus Garrison.

Boot camp draw = Nullcraft
[/details]
7 gold (8)
Hardened Mox (5)
Worker (4)
Level Oni to 5 (2)
Boot Camp mox (1)
Oni trades with Rook
Discard 3, draw 4, rs, draw 1. Float 1 gold.

No Patrol

Hardened Mox (2/2)

Base - 19
Tech 1 - 5

8 workers, 1 gold.
Discard : 0

[details=Next Hand]Tinkerer
Forgotten Fighter
Time Spiral
Taxman
Boot Camp[/details]

Well that was interesting. Unfortunately, by killing Rook, he effectively upped the cost of Charge by 1 or 2 (depending on whether I summon Drakk or Vandy). So I can’t charge the Gargoyle (or play Gargoyle and charge NDog, since he left base undefended) and still play a worker, and I can’t effectively charge the Gargoyle at all (or play Gargoyle and charge NDog) if I play Vandy. Which makes my Soul Stone useless next turn.

I could stick with the plan, play Tech II (and beat him to it) and Gargoyle, but then I have no blockers to stop Mox and Zane from taking out my Tech II.

I think this is a trap. I’m willing to bet Eric’s seen at least one of my games, and knows how aggressive I am, so he’s going to get a big econ advantage by me skipping worker now… but… but… MUST KILL TECH I. The smart move is probably to play Gargoyle, play Vandy, worker, maybe play NDog or Musketeer. Set up for the Soul Stone next turn… but I’m not going to do it, because I am a sucker! I wonder if he’s going to shark and base rush?

I can’t afford to skip the Gargoyle this turn, as it’s probably the only thing that will surprise him. He’ll probably have a Taxman out next turn in any case, to deal with the birds, but a bit of extra flying power will be hard to deal with.

Since I won’t be at Tech II next turn, let’s add some spells/Tech I. I’m bringing in Crash Bomber and Bloodlust, in case Drakk is still around next turn.

…And I hope he is, because I drew 2 Red spells and a Blood spell. Ech. I guess the plan is to Bloodlust BRO and Gargoyle if Drakk’s still there, and just play BRO and Tech II otherwise? If Sharks kill my Tech I, then I can still play and level Vandy to doom a bird or something.
[/spoiler][/details]

P1T4

TECH

Crash Bomber
Bloodlust

STARTING HAND
Charge
Nautical Dog
Scorch
Gargoyle
Careless Musketeer

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Pillage
Makeshift Rambaster

NextHand

Charge
Bloodrage Ogre
Bloodlust
Scorch

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($8)
Skip worker
Summon Drakakakak - ($6)
Recruit Nautical Dog - ($5)
Drakk casts Charge on NDog (so naughty!) - ($3)
Nautical Dog hits your Tech I for 3
Oona Bird hits your Tech I for 1
Baba Bird destroyes your Tech I; your base takes 2
Recruit Gargoyle - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Drakk Ramhorn (1+1/3)
  • Nautical Dog (1/1, Frenzy 1)
  • Gargoyle (0/2, Indestructible)

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 7
  • Workers: 7

[details=P2, Turn 4]So, planning ahead to when I’ll have my Tech 1 up and not getting destroyed, I tech in the second Taxman + an Elite Training. Then patrol in Technician, even though that’s just trading with Nautical Dog, to ensure I have everything I need shuffling into my deck on time.

Hand:Tinkerer
Time Spiral -> Worker
Forgotten Fighter
Gunpoint Taxman
Boot Camp
[/details]
8 gold (9)
Mox hits Drakk for 2 damage
Summon and Max Zane (2)
Zane shoves Drakk to Scavenger and kills him, we both get 1 gold (3)
Zane breaks your Tower
Tinkerer (1)
Worker (0)
Re-build Tech I
Discard 3, Draw 5.

Technician - Tinkerer (1/2)

L6 Zane (4/3)
Hardened Mox (2/2)

Base - 16
Tech 1 - 5

9 workers, 0 gold.
Deck: 0
Discard: 5

Interesting… I have him in a good place. He had to kill Drakk last turn, or risk losing to Frenzy. But that meant he had to play Zane, not Prynn. And Zane’s got sharks and Mirrors, but he’s actually the least scary of his heroes once he’s at maxband. If this turns into a base race, I’m running Blood Tech 0, so I’m likely to win.

Things I could do:

1. Summon Vandy and Max her (and worker), sending a doomed Gargoyle to wreck his Tech I. It would threaten Meta next turn, but he’d just kill Vandy, probably suiciding Zane to bring out another hero. Also, big Tinkerer. Nope.

2. Summon Vandy or Rook, have them Charge BRO for 3 (that’s all 7 of my $; oh wait! He gave me a gold!). NDog trades with Tinkerer, BRO trades with Zane. Still one left over to send Gargoyle over to kill Tech I. Not bad. clears his board except for Mox (and no haste except for Nullcraft, which he may have workered), and leaves me with a midband Vandy or Rook 2 levels away from midband, either unkillable (though bounce-able with Prynn). He might be able to kill a bird with Nullcraft, but he can’t take out Gargoyle. But he could play Oni and Elite Training on himself and Mox. I could disable or kill one with my hero, but the other will poke my birds as they wreck his Tech.

3. 5 on worker and Tech II. 2 on hero or BRO. 1 to send Gargoyle over to kill Tech I. If the Hero is Rook in SQL: now he can’t kill Zane (I think he made a mistake breaking my Tower), and he’s way less likely to break my Tech I w/o sharks or mirror. I could patrol NDog in Technician or not, depending on whether I’d rather risk it being bounced with Forgotten Fighter. I definitely don’t want to help him draw into any of his answers, so I’m not popping that Technician.

4. 5 on worker and Tech II. 1 on Gargoyle. Patrol NDog in SQL. If he doesn’t draw sharks or mirror, he can’t break my Tech I and Tech II this turn (though an expensive Forgotten Fighter would get NDog out of the way. Sets me up for a better turn next time, where I’m likely to draw Crash Bombers or Shoddy Gliders (especially if I tech more in). Moreover, Zane can’t kill himself, and he doesn’t have anti-air like Oni. This also frees me to play any hero I want next turn, depending on what spells I draw.

I like the idea of having Tech II built (and easier to rebuild) while he’s still at Tech 0. So Options 3 and 4 look good. And Option 3 looks safer.

I’m workering Scorch, because it’s so damn expensive for anyone but Drakk, and even by his standards it’s costly.

Now I need to decide whether Rook or NDog goes in SQL, and whether the other one goes Technician or Scav. Rook in SQL means Zane and Tinkerer have to team up to take him out (or shark+mox, or CM Mox+Tinkerer), and Mox could still take out NDog (giving me card or $). NDog in SQL means Mox can take it out, and Zane can take out Rook in one hit. So it seems like Rook in SQL makes his trades less efficient.

Now, would I rather have money or cards?
If he kills a bird with Nullcraft, I’m down to 4 flying damage. Without Bloodlust and Charge, I’m going to have a hard time boosting that. If I draw into Soul Stone, that takes care of it, but it would cost 5 (2 for Vandy, 2 for SS, 1 to activate Gargoyle) leaving me with 3 to work with on other stuff. Not bad. If I draw into Glider and Tech 2 is still up, I can almost certainly guarantee the last damage. But that’s iffy. I think Soul Stone is my best bet, so let’s put NDog in Technician, to make it more likely I draw into it. If he doesn’t kill NDog and doesn’t break my Tech II, it’s possible, though very unlikely (I think 1/21?), that I won’t draw SS or Glider. If he does kill NDog and does break my Tech II, then I have a 1/7 chance of not drawing Soul Stone. Those look like good odds. And as long as Gargoyle survives (even if he has a tower), there’s a good chance Drakk or Vandy can boost the Gargoyle further next turn with some combo of Bloodlust, Charge, Soul Stone, etc.

Ouch! Bad thought! I just realized he could have teched Maximum Anarchy! Since he maxxed Zane this turn, he could play it next turn! If he plays that and sharks, he could pop one of my Techs, then wipe my board. But… it seems more likely he would have teched in Taxman or Elite Training to deal with birds, and wasn’t expecting Gargoyle, so I doubt MA has made it into this cycle. If it’s in his hand, I’ll be impressed. And I can always max Vandy+Glider to take out his Tech I again, and still worker.

Looking at my draw: Ouch! Bad luck! I really have to hope he either kills NDog or didn’t draw the Nullcraft. If he drew the Nullcraft, kills NDog, and breaks Tech II, I still have a 50/50 chance of drawing what I need. If he kills NDog and doesn’t break Tech II, I have a 100% chance of drawing what I need. (Actually, now that I think about it, I can play and midband Drakk for Frenzy, so Nullcraft won’t stop me.) The only worry is MA. If he plays MA without breaking Tech II, I have a 50/50 chance of drawing the Glider, which will do what I need. If he plays MA and breaks Tech II, then Max Drakk can send 4 damage at his Tech 1 with a Crash Bomber, and I can threaten War Drums Gliders the turn after.
[/spoiler][/details]

P1T5

TECH

Crash Bomber
Shoddy Glider

STARTING HAND
Scorch
Charge
Bloodrage Ogre
Bloodlust

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Pillage
Makeshift Rambaster
Scorch

NextHand

Bombaster
Bird’s Nest
Careless Musketeer
Crash Bomber
Mad Man

Discard

Bloodlust
Bloodrage Ogre
Charge
Crash Bomber
Shoddy Glider

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($7)
Scavenger bonus - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Gargoyle comes to life - ($6)
Gargoyle, Oona, and Baba destroy your Tech I; your base takes another 2
Build Tech II (Blood) - ($2)
Summon Garus Rook - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Garus Rook, Lv. 1 (2/4+a)
  • :exhaust: [I]Technician[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1, Frenzy 1)
  • Gargoyle (3/2, Flying)
  • :heart: Base HP: 18

• Deck: 2
  • Disc: 5
  • Workers: 8

[details=P2, Turn 5]Fading Argonaut
Nullcraft
Battle Suits
Flagstone Garrison -> Worker
Overeager Cadet

Bring in a replacement Garrison and the other Cadet.
[/details]
9 gold (9)
Nullcraft (7)
Zane and Mox kill Rook
Tinkerer kills Dog
Tower (4)
Worker (3)
Fading Argo (1)
Rebuild Tech I
Discard 2, rs, Draw 4. Float 1 gold

SQL - Nullcraft (1/1 +1)
Tech - Fading Argo (2/3) [3]

Tinkerer (1/1)
L6 Zane (4/1)
Hardened Mox (2/2)

Base - 14
Tech 1 - 5
Tower - 4

10 workers, 1 gold.
Hand: 4

[details=Next Hand]Elite Training
Boot Camp
Forgotten Fighter
Flagstone Garrison[/details]

Apologies for not marking my Tech II in the buildings section last turn (though I’m pretty sure you caught it in the main phase). Fixed now.

I think I’m still in good shape here. I think he may have now drawn into MA. I don’t have to worry about Rewind just yet because it’ll take him 12 to max Prynn and play it, and he’ll only have 11 (and he didn’t put anyone in Scav). So maybe I should kill Zane (Mad Man?).

Options:

1. Summon and Max Vandy for 6, dooming one bird (and Tinkerer?), cast Soul Stone for 2 more on the other bird. Have doomed bird take out Nullcraft. Have SS bird hit Tech I for 2 and survive as 2/1. Have Gargoyle take out Tech I and survive as 3/1. Threaten Meta next turn (but, of course, he’ll have Zane and Mox take her out if he doesn’t have MA, leaving 5 damage on the board to break one of my Techs).

2. Summon and midband Drakk for 5, giving my fliers frenzy (now hitting at 2/1, 2/1, 4/2). That leaves only 3 gold, not enough for Vandy+SS. One bird trades with Nullcraft. One bird trades with Zane, maxxing Drakk. Gargoyle hits Tech I for 4 (and survives as a 4/1). And I have 3 to work with. 1 for hasted Crash Bomber (3/2) trading with FArgo, and finishing off Tech I. 1 For Mad Man hitting base for 2. 1 for Worker. Not bad. And I’m almost guaranteed to have Tech II available next turn, as Drakk can patrol to keep Mox off my Tech. Not bad at all. He might pick off my Gargoyle with Elite Training on the Mox, but I got Gliders where that came from.

I’m going with Option 2, and I’m teching in War Drums. In case of Origin Story, I’m considering a Bugbladder as my second tech. The majority of my deck will be cheap creatures, so either way I’m in good shape. With all my haste, his Tower now actually helps with a Bugbladder strat.

Crap! I forgot to pay the Gargoyle-toll! I guess no worker this turn, or no MM. (I’ll just note that I’m not using the SS at all, it would be great next turn, and if I had put NDog in Scav I’d be able to afford both.) I’m worried about leaving Tinker alive… And I also want to bring his base to 10… But I’ve never played a PBF game where I got past 8 workers, and this would be a first. I think this is an important step for me as a Codex player. I’m going to put econ over aggression. I’m not sure if it’s the right call in this specific case… but I’m going to do it. (You know why? I really want to get a PGC out. Tech III! How cool would that be!)

The problem is I love all of my precious cards: my cheap self-sacrificing units, my SS, my Bird-maker. But since I’m not using SS this turn, I’m going to worker it. All the rest plays too well into Bugbladder or War Drums.

After the draw… My hand is pretty sweet. No Drums, sadly ('twould be wicked), and only one Glider. But with 9 gold and Tech II I can play my whole hand and re-summong Drakk if he gets bounced. That’s 11 damage plus a Naughty Dog, or a worker, or an active Gargoyle. I can probably do more if I play smart and build towards the next turn. If the Gargoyle’s still alive, he’ll team up with Glider to take out Tech I.
[/spoiler][/details]

P1T6

TECH

War Drums
Captured Bugblatter

STARTING HAND
Mad Man
Careless Musketeer
Crash Bomber
Bird’s Nest
Bombaster
Soul Stone

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Pillage
Makeshift Rambaster
Scorch
Soul Stone

NextHand

Crash Bomber
Bloodlust
Bloodrage Ogre
Nautical Dog
Shoddy Glider

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Draw from Technician bonus
Worker - ($7)
Summon Drakk and level him to midband - ($2)
Frenzied Baba Bird trades with Nullcraft
Frenzied Oona Bird takes out Zane, but dies to Tower; Drakk to max level
Recruit Crash Bomber, who has haste from Drakk - ($1)
Frenzied Crash Bomber trades with FArgo; you draw; on death, CB deals 1 damage to your Tech I
But now we are in Manhattan. The spell is broken, and we live again! (Gargoyle reanimates.) - ($0)
Frenzied Gargoyle deals 4 to your Tech I, destroying it; your base takes 2 more damage; Gargoyle takes 1 from the Tower

Float ($0)
Discard 4, draw 1, reshuffle, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Drakk Ramhorn, Lv. 6, (3/4+a)
  • Gargoyle (3/1, Flying)
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Blood)

• Deck: 9
  • Workers: 9
1 Like

Gentle poke @EricF.

Yeah, yeah, I’ve been away from my computer, and haven’t gotten a chance to randomize my tech draw, decide if/what to tech, and review my new hand.

1 Like

No problem, take your time. You’re also running a tournament! And it’s New Year’s!
I just wanted to check in. (:

P2, Turn 6

Tech in 1 card
10 gold (11)
Onimaru (9)
Elite Training on Mox and Tinkerer (7)
Mox and Tinkerer trade with Drakk, Oni to L3
Max Oni (2), make 3 ducks
Boot Camp the Mox (1)
Worker (0)
Rebuild tech 1
Discard 3, draw 3, rs, draw 2

[details=Secrets]workering Forgotten Fighter
Teching one Art of War
Will edit in exact draws and next hand later[/details]

SQL - Huey (1/1 +1)
Scavenger - Dewy (1/1)
Tech - Louis (1/1)

Hardened Mox (3/3)
L8 Oni (4/5)

Base - 11
Tech 1 - 5
Tower - 4

11 workers, 0 gold.
Deck: 7

Edit: Making the turn legal by dooming Gargoyle, not Glider.

This was one of the plays I thought he might do. I miss my Frenzy, and no War Drums, and I really miss Bloodlust as an option, but whatevs. My real question now is whether to deal 8 damage directly to his base (putting him at 3), or take out his Tech I again and put him 8. Or go to Tech III and delay the game for PGC!

He’ll have at least 11 damage to work with (+2 from max Vandy)

Option 1: Take him down to 3 with Max Vandy (in Scav), Glider, and Gargoyle (puts me at $1), play CB in SQL ($1), and $1 to activate Gargoyle. He will take out CB with Mox (going down to 2 HP for Base), take out Vandy with Oni, and one of my tech buildings with H, D, and doomed L. If I doom the Mox, he’d have H/D/L take out CB, mox kill Vandy, and Oni takes out Tech, or Oni take out CB and break Tech with buffed ducks somehow. What if Vandy goes in SQL? He’d need Oni + H or doomed Mox + H or Mox + doomed H. He’d have two ducks to take the CB. Then he could take out a tech with his remaining doomed Mox, or Oni, or Oni.
Eric is smart. There’s even a chance of AoW and double General’s Hammer. BUT. All I need is Birds+Charge without a nullcraft in patrol to take him out, OR a working Tech II and Bugbladder. Or CB and a charged Musketeer. Or CB and Drakk dying. Etc. A lot of ways for this to go right for me.

Option 2: Same as above, but break his Tech I instead, putting him at 9, then hit him with the other flyer down to 6. Same limitations as above, but he can’t get out any Tech I stuff. Does that matter at this point?

Option 3: Worker, build Tech III (leaving me with $3). Play CB, Glider, activate Gargoyle. Hit his base for 6, down to 5. Patrol CB in SQL. He will: take out CB with Mox. Take out some Tech with Oni. Maybe take out more tech with Oni spells. Maybe take out more tech with buffed H/D/L. This might increase my chances of having something working, though? Probably not.

Option 4: Worker, build a HH. Like Tech III, this does a good job of ensuring that I can have two heroes in play (for Vandy-dooming birds, or whatev). But it’s cheaper. But it dies easier. Gives me 3 more money to spend on big blocker Rook and a NDog. He would: Take out CB with Mox. Take out Rook in Technician with Oni? Take out a Tech or HH with buffed H/D/L, or spells? Or AoW to take out Tech with Oni, and just keep his board full? Seems my safest patrol, so far. Still puts his base at 5. But leaves the possibility of Vandy+Glider to finish.

Option 5: Send Glider and Gargoyle (down to $7) at Oni to give Vandy ($5) a boost to midband. Max her (to $3), dooming CB ($2) in SQL, making him a 4/4+a, and guaranteeing the base damage next turn. BRO in Technician ($0) or worker BRO and play Ndog ($0). Benefit: threaten Meta next turn. Downside: Prynn comes in, maxxes, and Origin Stories Vandy while bouncing my units. Also, his base would only be at 10. Or Zane comes in and wrecks up the place with CM/Sharks.

Option 6: Like Option 1, but leave the Gargoyle indestructible for a turn. It could guaranteed hit for 4 later with a frenzied Drakk, but I’d risk a Nullcraft blocking it later. His base would be at 5. BUT. If I also forgo CB, I could bring out Rook as my second blocker. How does that look? Vandy in SQL: He has to use some combo of doomed Mox + H, or Mox + doomed H, or Oni + H to take her out. That leaves Oni or Oni or doomed Mox or L + doomed D to take out Rook. Rook in SQL? Oni or doomed Mox or doomed H+D/L take him out. Doomed Mox or Oni or Oni take her out. Either way, probably not enough to take out my Tech II. Safer. BUT, if he has Art of War, he’ll take out my Tech anyway. And Rook and Vandy will be gone, so no birds. That would be a bad situation. I might end up with a bunch of Tech II stuff and no way to spend it, and no way to force that 5 through.

I’m going to go with my gut, which is more damage now (Option 1). I have so many ways to kill him from 2 HP, even at Tech 0. Let’s do it. I’m teching in a Bloodlust and a Dark Pact to make it more likely I can get those last necessary 2 damage out without him pulling shenanigans.
I’m actually putting Vandy in Scav, because I could see wanting to max Drakk, play a hasted Musketeer and play a CB or Glider. Likewise, Rook+Birds+Charge could be expensive, if my hand goes really wrong.

And after the draw? Could be a lot worse. If he kills Vandy but not my Tech II, I can max Drakk, haste out Bugbladder, and just win by throwing it against anything with at least 1 attack. Or play Bugbladder, play Bombaster, pop it, play Drakk, and win as soon as Drakk or any unit dies. Or that, but Rook+Birds instead of Drakk. Worst case (both Tech buildings destroyed), I can max Drakk, haste out Musketeer, poke his base and mine for 1. If he kills Drakk, I win.
[/spoiler][/details]

P1T7

TECH

Bloodlust
Dark Pact

STARTING HAND
Shoddy Glider
Crash Bomber
Nautical Dog
Bloodlust
Bloodrage Ogre

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Pillage
Makeshift Rambaster
Scorch
Soul Stone

NextHand

Bird’s Nest
War Drums
Captured Bugblatter
Careless Musketeer
Bombaster

Discard

Shoddy Glider
Nautical Dog
Bloodrage Ogre
Bloodlust
Bloodlust
Dark Pact

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($9)
Skip worker
Recruit Shoddy Glider - ($8)
Recruit Crash Bomber - ($7)
Reanimate Gargoyle - ($6)
Summon and max Vandy; Gargoyle and Mox get doomed and +2/+2 each - ($0)
Glider hits your base for 3, down to 8, dying your Tower
Gargoyle (5/3) hits your base for 5, down to 3, taking 1 from your Tower
Patrol CB in SQL and Vandy in Scav

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Crash Bomber (2/2+a)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Vandy Anadrose, Lv. 5 (4/5, Resist 1)
  • Gargoyle (5/2, including +2/+2 from Vandy, doomed, flying)
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Blood)

• Deck: 4
  • Disc: 6
  • Workers: 9
2 Likes

[details=P2, Turn 7]Gunpoint Taxman
Battle Suits
Overeager Cadet
Nullcraft
Flagstone Garrison

So, I’m like 99% dead here, but I think I see a tiny glimmer of hope…
[/details]
Tech nothing
11 gold (11)
Nullcraft (9)
Tech II Anarchy (5)
Battle Suits (3)
Gunpoint Taxman (1)
Overeager Cadet (1)
Huey, Dewey, and Louis kill off Crash Bomber
Mox kills Vandy
Oni breaks your Tech II
Discard 1, Draw 3. Float 1 gold.

SQL - Gunpoint Taxman (3/3 +1)
Scavenger - L8 Oni (4/5)
Tech - Overeager Cadet (3/2)
Lookout - Nullcraft (1/1) flying

Hardened Mox (4/3)

Base - 2
Tech 1 - 5
Tech 2 Anarchy - 5
Tower - 4

Battle Suits
11 workers, 0 gold.
Hand: 3
Deck: 4
Discard: 1

OBJECTION: Vandy maxband only works on Tech 1 and Tech 0 units. Shoddy Glider despite being poorly constructed, is a tech 2.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s one of those things that’s easy to miss.

Let’s just assume he targeted his Gargoyle with the buff (which is a strictly better play anyway, I think, given the lack of reshuffle?)

At the start of his turn, the Gargoyle will revert to stone, and then die, healing and becoming exhausted.

2 Likes

Thanks @Kaelii and @EricF!

I’m doing as Eric says, updating my spreadsheet to reflect it. Given that, Gargoyle will still be alive and not indestructible on your turn. Do you have any desire to redo your turn to kill it with more elite training or to poke it with the Nullcraft? (I doubt it, but figured I’d check.)