CAPS 2017: Kaelii ([Finesse]/Discipline/Ninjitsu) vs. Hobusu ([Anarchy]/Strength/Growth)

Sorry about the delay starting @Hobusu

[details=Thoughts][Anarchy]/Strength/Growth known for ‘Angry big birds’, and haste might of leaf and claw.
Red starter means I’ll probably need to be on the lookout for a pillage opening.

Rook and Arg are both viable annoying early threats.
Zane is mostly annoying as a trickshot opening.

No 1 drop in my opening hand as well as wither, so do I go for an aggressive hero opening and float against red starter, or should I go for a much more standard opening of fruit ninja.

With TM, Bloom, Spark I have 3 damage in hand next turn and 1 on board. Flagbearer isn’t terribly important yet.

Sets is likely too expensive for him to try to kill off if I don’t patrol (5 gold is zane+dog+charge but no attack). He probably either drops rook in squad leader (2/4+A) or arg+dorks to patrol with wisp.
I’d have 6 gold to work with, but with only 1 attack on sets I don’t have enough to get through a squad leader rook opening – TM+spark/Bloom+midband sets is 5/6 gold but only gets me to 4 damage not 5. Arg+wisp similar potential problem where all he has to do is put wisp in squad leader and lack of wither means I can’t bust through to kill off arg. IF I had tenderfoot in this hand I would probably go for sets+tenderfoot. Oh well.
Bloom+midband sets is able to kill off basically any of his starter units which WOULD probably force him into relying on units. Of 6 we have hero’s hall and tech 1 for 3, 1 drop 1 drop?

BRO+hero is a real strong opening regardless of what I do.

River doesn’t bring terribly much exciting at this stage - I’m not about to T2 maxband river, and I doubt I’ll get to do anything cute with her.

Grave is able to threaten busting down either Arg or Rook openers but it would probably cost me almost everything to get the hero kill and unsure if worth at this stage.

Opening squad leader Fruit Ninja (2/2+A) forces either zane+madman or 2 cards to kill it. Zane+Madman is a sad fruit ninja as he trades 3 gold and a card for 3 gold and a card as P2 red. Leaves him enough to worker and dog.

Opening squad leader Older Brother makes the trade out less appealing until squad leader Bro/Bombaster makes me sad – so too does zane+pillage+dog/madman patrol in tech/squad leader. Likely he lets OB live and just drops bodies to the field.

Sets just isn’t able to threaten a reasonable maxband rush timing without giving up SO MUCH. Maybe?
Bloom sets, 1 drops and tech 1 costs 4/5 gold. T3 drop 5 gold to maxband sets aiming for T4 fox’s den students is probably overly aggressive and T4 maxbanding sets means I am all the way solidly into tech 2 territory.

We’re going with Sets opening even though this is a terrible idea.[/details]

P1T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Helpful Turtle
Fruit Ninja
Brick Thief
Wither
Older Brother

WORKERS
Fruit Ninja

NextHand

Timely Messenger
Granfalloon Flagbearer
Bloom
Spark
Tenderfoot

Discard

Older Brother
Helpful Turtle
Brick Thief
Wither

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($4)
Worker - ($3)
Setsuki - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 4, draw 5

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Setsuki (1/3) Costs 1 to attack
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 20

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 4
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 5
3 Likes

No problem. Good luck!

Player 2 Turn 1

Starting Hand and Workers

STARTING HAND

Bombaster
Pillage
Scorch
Makeshift Rambaster
Bloodrage Ogre

WORKERS

Pillage

Next Hand

Mad Man
Bloodburn
Careless Musketeer
Charge
Nautical Dog

Discard

Scorch
Makeshift Rambaster
Bombaster

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Recruit Bloodrage Ogre - ($2)
Summon Argagarg and Wisp - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre (3/2+a)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • Argagarg Garg Lv. 1 (1/3)

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 6

[details=Thoughts][spoiler]I know what he’s planning, which is to Bloom Setsuki and have her become a swift strike whirlwind of death and despair. Not much I can do about it on turn 1; if I had Mad Man, I could have used him and Zane to kill her, but that would have forced me to skip a worker. This deck isn’t meant for base racing, so Rambaster wouldn’t be that helpful either, so I’m just throwing out a strong blocker and hoping it’ll hold. There’s ways to beat Ogre, but they require a lot of money to do safely, so it should be fine for now.

Long term, I’ll want to get Gunpoint Taxman in case he goes for Discipline, but I’m not sure what else would be good yet. MoLaC is out, since Versatile Style would get rid of it in an instant. Strength Tech II is appealing, since big enough units could shut down Setsuki’s offence before it starts, but if he goes with Ninjutsu Tech II it’ll become a liability once he plays Porcupine. Anarchy would help me snipe his heroes and important units, and can transition into Gunships, so that might be best… We’ll see how things unfold.[/spoiler][/details]

P1T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Shuriken Hail
Shuriken Hail

STARTING HAND
Granfalloon Flagbearer
Spark
Timely Messenger
Tenderfoot
Bloom

WORKERS
Fruit Ninja
Spark

NextHand

Older Brother
Shuriken Hail
Granfalloon Flagbearer
Shuriken Hail

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($6)
Midband Setsuki - ($3)
Timely Messenger doinks BRO’s armor - ($2)
Worker - ($1)
Tenderfoot - ($0)
Setsuki kills Bro swiftly

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Tenderfoot (1/2+A)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • Setsuki level 4 (2/3) Costs 1 to attack

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 5
  • Disc: 0
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 6

Player 2 Turn 2

Tech, Starting Hand and Workers

TECH

Ardra’s Boulder
Chaos Mirror

STARTING HAND

Charge
Careless Musketeer
Nautical Dog
Mad Man
Bloodburn

WORKERS

Pillage
Bloodburn

Next Hand

Ardra’s Boulder
Charge
Careless Musketeer
Bombaster
Mad Man

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Build Tech I - ($3)
Recruit Nautical Dog - ($2)

Float ($2)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1+a) (Frenzy 1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • Argagarg Garg Lv. 1 (1/3)
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5

• Deck: 4
  • Disc: 0
  • Gold: 2
  • Workers: 7

[details=Thoughts][spoiler]I don’t think I have any way of saving Arg at this point. In hindsight, Rook would have been a much better starting hero. With that in mind, I’m pretty much forced to just save money for next turn and try to figure out how to stop this menace before it’s too late.

This is a weird tech that I’ve done, but my reasoning is that on turns where he doesn’t have stealth on Setsuki a Boulder will take longer to get through than anything else I can play, and since Arg is basically guaranteed to die Chaos Mirror might be able to help get a sneaky revenge kill.[/spoiler][/details]

@Kaelii Reminder bump, and also a warning to take turns more often.

This match is officially now awarded to @Hobusu, to give @Kaelii a chance to catch up with their game against Penatronic

@Hobusu now play me! :nerd_face:

1 Like