2017 Year End Wrap-Up

It’s that time again! Let’s close out 2017 with the best thing of all, stats!

As you may know, I maintain a spreadsheet of tournament results which records any and all reported Yomi tournament games. Last year I put together a wrap up post for the year, of players who played the most games (overall, and with a specific character), and players who had the best game win percentages (overall, and with a specific character).

A lot of arbitrary decisions need to be made when compiling these lists, and I’m going to lay them out so it’s clear what I did and why. If you have a question about any of these decisions, or a suggestion of what you’d like to see next year, let me know in the thread!

If you want to compare with last year’s list, here is the link to that thread.

Summary
  1. For ‘best winrates’ stats, I excluded all restricted and team events. So if you did really great in Topanda or Best of the Rest, those results won’t be counted. In the interests of measuring people against the same standard as much as is possible, this was the ‘least bad’ solution I could come up with. All ‘in-person’ tournaments and 1v1 call-out/grudge/hype matches are tagged as restricted.

2. For simplicity’s sake I’ve also excluded restricted and team events from the ‘most games played’ stats.

3. In a first-to-four style event (for example), if you won a set 4-2, that counts as you playing 6 games.

4. For overall and character specific ‘best winrates’ I only counted people who had a certain number of qualifying games (i.e. a certain number of non-restricted, non-team games). I excluded people who had less than 20 tournament games over the course of the year, and for character specific rates, you had to have played the character in at least 15 tournament matches. These thresholds were not arrived at scientifically, or through rigorous and careful analysis; I just needed thresholds to prevent the top Grave list being people who had played only a handful of Grave games.

5. I only ended up using ‘top 5’ lists for character specific games played and winrates, rather than ‘top 10’ or more. For a lot of the cast, requiring 15 qualifying games meant that only 6 or 4 people were on the ‘top 10’ list. Similarly, for a lot of the cast, it would mean putting someone in a ‘top 10’ with a less than 25% winrate, which didn’t feel right, or kind. I know this shit is touchy enough already for some people, so I went with a blanket ‘top 5’ and excluded anyone with a win rate less than 50% to avoid feel-bad situations on the character specific lists.

Overall Most Games Played and Highest Win Rates in 2017

#Grave

#Jaina

#Midori

#Setsuki

#Rook

#DeGrey

#Valerie

#Geiger

#Lum

#Argagarg

#Quince

#Onimaru

#Troq

#BBB

#Menelker

#Persephone

#Gloria

#Gwen

#Vendetta

#Zane

14 Likes

It should go without saying, but please don’t use this information to be shitty to people. I want these threads to be about celebrating peoples’ accomplishments, not the other thing.

13 Likes

So with that said, I personally want to shoutout a few people in particular, for demonstrating some truly amazing performance with particularly difficult/unpopular characters, especially where the number of games played is particularly noteworthy as well.

@Leontes for a beastly 62% win rate with Midori over 82 games.

@Caralad for a crushing 60% win rate with Rook over 55 games.

@Shax for a combo-video worthy 58% win rate with Valerie over 52 games.

@flagrantangles for a blinding 57% win rate with Quince over 123 games.

@SouthpawHare for a cold, unfeeling 60% win rate with BBB over 58 games.

@Fluffiness for a nice 69% win rate with Persephone over 42 games.

@Fusxfaranto for an ice cold 59% win rate with Gwen over 73 games.

@Niijima-san for a lethal 66% win rate with Vendetta over 56 games.

16 Likes

Thanks bro! I mean, uh… BEEP BOOP THANK YOU HUE-MAHN.

I feel like you missed an opportunity to describe this win record as “sexy”. Bonus points for the 69.

4 Likes

No, I’m sure that was worded very carefully to get in the word “nice.”

3 Likes

Thanks for putting this together!

Pleasantly surprised to see my :argagarg: results! Seems I have improved since '16. :smiley:

Meanwhile, seems I dropped :midori: like the hottest potato; I don’t even appear on his '17 stats at all despite appearing last year on both use rate and win rate. Have I really played him in fewer than 15 qualifying games this year? :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Thirteen games in 2017, according to the sheet. RIP.

2 Likes

It makes me laugh that I had just enough games as Lum to qualify as the only “successful” player in 2017.

It makes me sad that I had such a disappointing performance with Gwen in that same time period.

EDITED FOR ACCURACY

4 Likes

Not terribly happy with my performance this year, but I managed to show up with Troq and Vendetta at least. @MysticDeadman best Ven in the biz, m I rite?

4 Likes

I carefully arranged my games to get both 42 and 69 in my results.

4 Likes

I’m actually surprised I played more Rook games than Troq games to be honest. And that I’ve played just so many in general.

2 Likes

I’ve been serious about that since day 1. Now we have some solid validation for it.
Congrats!

1 Like

Wow, psyched that I’m still putting up those dragon numbers.

Doing my best to stay relevant in this new meta. All I want is to put up a good fight no matter who I’m up against.

6 Likes

I am proud of having the best Zane numbers for the year, but I am happier about having a 7-5 record in the Zane/Troq MU for the year. I am going to continue to strive to improve.

In a day and age where games are considered throw away or are packed with micro-transactions and constant updates that don’t really improve the game, I am really happy that Yomi is a well balanced game that stands on it’s merit.

My hope is that we can retain as well as attract new players in the coming year. I thank everyone that continues to play. See you in 2018.

11 Likes

damn i suck

2 Likes

So i am both the best winrate player and the only one that defeated mysticjuicer.
Not bad, even if i have to say it myself.

7 Likes

A blinding winrate? More like a dizzying winrate, honeycakes!

But seriously, I’m happy with my Quince numbers and results. I think I’m getting one helluva grasp on the Valerie matchup. Here’s to hoping I can do even better in the following year. Quince for Chief Magistrate 2018!

I was also surprised that my Persephone managed a positive winrate. My spite and her witchcraft are a potent combination.

7 Likes

Aw man, I was 1 win away from having a 50% winrate with Rook!

7 Likes

Can I just take the time to say that @mysticjuicer your record this year has been astounding - most games played and still managing a damn near 60% win rate is no small feat! Not to mention earning your first yomi bowl ring :troq::troq::troq:

Think we might have to rename 2017 as year of the juicer

9 Likes

i’m honestly just happy to put up a positive perse winrate my first year in the scene.

also: very clear data on who i need to study.

8 Likes