Youtube videos?

You’re right. I just really want an angle that will show the whole board. I’m trying to use two playmats and they’re huuuuuuuuuuuge!

2 Likes

Well I’ve tried an angle, I’ve recorded a thing. I’ll upload tomorrow I guess.

6 Likes

I cant wait for your video

2 Likes

Alright, here it is.

I have no idea how to edit videos so I couldn’t cut out the annoying bits.
Someone will have to teach me how at some point.

Gimme some feedback on this. All feedback welcome.

6 Likes

I watched the first 20 mins, so my feedback relates to that:

• I’m really glad you moved the mic. The fan noise was really annoying
  • I thought the camera angle was fine
  • I realise you don’t know how to edit (and I’m afraid I know nothing about it either), but it would be really good if you could learn how to overlay cards, rather than putting them next to the camera. It would save you a lot of time, as you can just talk and edit the cards in afterwards, and the refocusing of the camera got a bit wearing
  • It would have been nice to hear your thoughts on the game, as well as you just reading the players thoughts from the thread. You hinted at a couple of things (e.g. when FS teched in General’s Hammer), and it would have been nice to hear some discussion.
2 Likes

I don’t have time to look at it right now, but I’ll edit in more complete thoughts once I’ve watched.

• Just from the thumbnail I can see that the angle is good, but unless the fan that Jadiel mentioned is an issue you might want to position it slightly more to the left (so it’s a more direct side-on view). Again, it does work how it is, so that’s a minor nibble.
  • Seeing the keyboard there is kind of weird. Again, not a huge issue for things unrelated to Codex to be there, but the keyboard in particular stands out as “What’s this doing here?”
  • What kind of computer do you use? Windows used to include a simple “Movie Maker,” but I can’t find it on my Windows 8 laptop… There should be a free editor packaged with Macs, but I don’t know much about them. Unfortunately, unless you can find a free editor, getting a good one costs quite a bit of money from what I’ve heard.

Well the keyboard is on my desk, where my computer is, ya feel.

I moved the mic away from the fan in the first two minutes after I realised.

My computer has movie maker, I also got a free program called Lightworks but it’s super frickin complicated. I asked Juicer what he uses to edit and he said the Youtube editor, but I can’t work it out either. I’m a total noob.

2 Likes

Like you mentioned, I use YouTube editor, which is just sophisticated enough to remove dead air or other parts of the video that you don’t like or don’t want to include. The way you use it is like this:

1. Click on the ‘Upload’ button on the top right of your YouTube window.

1. In the bottom right of the next screen, click ‘Edit’

1. From the available videos shown in the grid (which are all the videos you have uploaded to your channel), select the one you want to edit. Drag it down to the little area next to the camera symbol. Hit play, and the video will play in real time, and a blue editing line will scroll around on the bottom of the screen. Use the zoom slider to set it so you can see the slider moving as the video players.

1. As you get to a section you want to remove: (a) get to the beginning of that section in the video, pause, and click the scissors icon, and then (b) scroll to the end of that section of the video, pause, and click the scissors icon. Once you’ve done so, go to the end of the section again, and click the small grey X on the top right corner to delete that section from your video.

2. Once you’ve removed all the sections you want from your video, click “create video” in the top right of the screen, and YouTube will re-process for an hour or two, and finally create a new, edited version of the video you made.

3. You now edit as well as I do.

Movie Maker is about the same principle: open Movie Maker, drag in your video file, use the “snip” tool to mark the start and end parts of stuff you want to remove, click on that section and hit delete, and when you’re all done, go to “create movie” or “export movie” or whatever, and select the resolution you want. Then upload the resulting video file to YouTube.

4 Likes

Just happened to look this up myself yesterday:
Windows stopped packing Movie maker with Windows but the current version “Windows Live Movie Maker” is part of the free “Windows Essentials” bundle.

I’ve never used the old version but I’ve read that the new one has been simplified a lot and also lost some features in the process. I had no problems cutting something like this at least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om2QwCmJh74

Dunno if you can easily display images over clips but I’d sure hope so. Can try it in the evening today.

2 Likes

A YouTube search suggests it may not be possible, and that an encoder program would be necessary. The other option is to make an OBS overlay of every card in the game, and then record a video of you watching the video so you can use OBS to add the overlays in “live.”

But that’s twenty pains in the ass.

1 Like

Good lord… I knew I had a backlog of videos, but I just counted and there are 13 matches I haven’t provided commentary for. :cry: Might cull that list a bit, but at least one Yomi video will be coming out shortly, and then Sunday I should have the first Codex video up.

3 Likes

Anyone can link me a pbf match where every turn, there are “thoughts” or comments posted by the players? I"ll try to make a video of a codex match with turn by turn analysis by the players themsleves, maybe using images and powerpoint :psyduck: displaying the board state along with sidenotes.

2 Likes

Good lord it takes forever to make videos with commentary after the fact. An hour to record the commentary, an hour for Movie Maker to combine the video and commentary, probably an hour or two to upload the video to YouTube, maybe half an hour to edit the gaps out of the video, then another two hours for the video to re-process. And that’s without cards being shown on the screen. Good thing I’ve got a lot of vacation time coming up in December!

4 Likes

Your last post in this thread was FIVE days ago, what have you been doing with your time?

Seriously though, looking forward to seeing them.

I just recorded the Codex matches yesterday. The backlog I’m talking about is all Yomi matches. :cry:

1 Like

Okay, finally got to make the last necessary edits to take a bit of dead air out of the video, so now YouTube just has to process it again, and it’ll be available for viewing! So uh, tomorrow morning at the very latest! Hopefully tonight tho!

6 Likes

Oh hey what’s up?

5 Likes

Nice, but there is background air noise when you talk. Consider recording your comments in a smaller room and try to hang out on walls clothes (nails in the wall, hangout tshirts) if you do not have some fancy nosound foam. It will help to absorb backnoise.

It’s my laptop fan, which is pretty close to my mic. I’ll try to do some positioning stuff to minimize, but I’ve never been able to get rid of it entirely. Any tips on how to do so from people who know about recording would be helpful! Note that I basically just use OBS and Movie Maker to create my videos, so a cheap solution is key.

I recently rewatched your “Getting Good at Yomi” videos, and in the first video I didn’t notice that sound because you had background music. Obviously if you can eliminate it that’s ideal, but I think having some music that’s just loud enough to eliminate the sound without drowning out your voice seems like a good idea.

1 Like