[Yomi Tournament] IYL 5

Just work on your Oni and you’ll be okay. #TWENNY

3 Likes

me vs @Corroyeur

:vendetta::psfist::pschip::onimaru:
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::onimaru:

Some intense rounds there, but after 56 damage (or, technically 68, since I didn’t pump the J) over 2 turns with Vendetta in the last round, I was able to close it out.

Vendetta does have some very finnicky hands, the third match ending up with all my dodges and 3 acrobatics in hand, and no real way of applying pressure, I ended up being crushed and thrown to bits.

Good luck onwards Corroyeur! :smiley:

6 Likes

@Jadiel vs @variable

:degrey::psfist::pschip::quince:
:degrey::psfist::pschip::menelker:
:degrey::pschip::psfist::argagarg:
:degrey::psfist::pschip::argagarg:

3-1 to @Jadiel overall

Huge props to @variable for being extremely patient with my general noobishness, including scheduling failures and running out of iPad power halfway through the set!

I had a blast, and am really enjoying online Yomi (my continuing beginner’s luck is probably a factor in this - winning always helps!) Playing Quince and Menelker for the first time was interesting (and eating my first DSD)! Fun times!

4 Likes

@Jadiel, ye should add that we are in Morningstar Sanctuary!

It was fun to play with ye, though! I look forward to playing ye DeGrey again when I am braver! And, don’t put too much of ye win on luck. The winner of a best-of-five is the more consistent player, I’d say! :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Phrawger vs Southpaw Hare, Morningstar Sanctuary
Phrawger Wins, 3 - 1
:menelker: :pschip: :psfist: :bbb: My patented technique of “I have no idea what I’m doing Game 1” falls right into line. Never played the matchup and BBB is a mystery to me in general.
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb: I figure it out a little more. Manage my hand, get rid of all four aces I think.
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: VERY close game, and very fun. Turn off the Buster and take some nasty hits but manage to break through.
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: We hold our 10 until we see an Ace in the yard, then we strike. We drew another 10 that turn and banished Ace and Joker alike. I felt unclean.

GGs SPH. I hope one day to play a match where we both have fun. (BBB counterpicking me game 1 was a very strong play.)

6 Likes

Fluff vs Mydrothers, Morningstar
3-2
:chibipersephone::pschip::psfist::chibirook:
:chibisetsuki::psfist::pschip::chibirook:
:chibisetsuki::psfist::pschip::chibionimaru:
:chibisetsuki::pschip::psfist::chibionimaru:
:chibipersephone::psfist::pschip::chibionimaru:

I wanted to apologize for being a bit of a dick in the last Perse game, I got a bit carried away. Please accept my apologies @mydrothers

5 Likes

Morningstar Sanctuary
Fluffiness 3-2 over MyDrothers
:persephone:::knockdown::psfist::chibirook:
:setsuki::psfist::knockdown::rook:
:setsuki::psfist::knockdown::onimaru:
:setsuki::knockdown::psfist::chibionimaru:
:persephone::psfist::knockdown::onimaru:

well played, I enjoyed our set a lot

6 Likes

I like to think I’ve had something to do with that understanding considering how often we’ve run through the :quince: :argagarg: matchup in tournament.

4 Likes

Pandalands

CCC vs. @ThreeHeadedMonkey

3-2

:onimaru: < :zane: Long game. Less than ten cards in deck for both players.
:onimaru: > :zane: Short game. Onimaru smash.
:onimaru: < :degrey: Short game. DeGrey smash.
:rook: > :degrey: Long game. Rook aces loaded in the chamber, but doesn’t fire for an eternity.
:rook: > :geiger: Short game. Rook smash.

ggs well played

7 Likes

Well played. I tilted myself after game four as I was very close to winning that and made some questionable plays. However, you played well to keep yourself in it. Well done.

2 Likes

imho, troq is slightly advantage against degrey. degrey’s A dodge do not mean much against a grappler, and troq can do 20 dmg per throw. plus his war stomp can force a KD.
Troq also has an hard time building a big hand, unless a lot of block/block happens, and that means that MHG loses part of its shine.

5 Likes

snoc vs @Corroyeur, Dreadlands R3

:valerie: :psfist::pschip: :onimaru: runback from 15-74 down!
:valerie: :pschip::psfist: :onimaru: SO MANY TENS
:valerie: :pschip::psfist: :onimaru: I don’t throw enough My one big combo later on gets bursted.
:valerie: :psfist::pschip: :onimaru: I get the range right this turn and feel pretty comfortable throwing into knockdown setups.
:valerie: :pschip::psfist: :onimaru: Really interesting game. I feel like something went wrong here but I’m not sure what. Going to have to rewatch the footage at some point and have a think.

@Corroyeur wins 3-2! GGs, I think this is a really interesting matchup. I’m not sure why you never revealed a 5 attack side all set, I’d have felt so much less confident going for mixups after KD later on if I thought that was in your range. I don’t like starting combos with Kings as much as normals with Val because a) she doesn’t always have them b) no normal draw. I guess you won anyway, but I’d be interested to hear your reasoning for not playing them!

(I didn’t have my mic connected properly so you can’t hear me talking for the first ~4:36 or so but I sort it after that)

7 Likes

Pandalands
Castanietzsche 1 - 3 ClanNatioy

:degrey: > :bbb: after this fight I had to pull out the big guns and switch to my go to Degrey CP
:degrey: < :bbb:
:degrey: < :bbb:
:degrey: < :bbb: This match I went full Thelo. I got to range and didn’t stop dodging until I ran out of them (was 5 or 6 dodges)

GGs Castanietzsche it was a really fun and tense set with most games coming down to the wire. I enjoyed talking with you after the set as well, it has been good to meet more and more people hear on the forums. So far you’ve all been a delight.

7 Likes

Thoughts on the final game: I felt like I was more or less in control for most of the game, I think mainly because I had a big hand advantage a lot of the time. But Onimaru doesn’t need a lot of cards to do damage since everything hits so damn hard. I didn’t save my dodges enough for the late game. It’s probably just as good to lead with a 5 or 6 as a 2 or 3 because they are going to beat all the exact same stuff. I generally prefer to confirm into my higher normals to get more expected damage out of them, but dodges are so important against a Guard Crush/FA/dodge mixup that I think it’s more important to hold onto them.

Specific stuff: still not sure if trading BoS for Final Authority early on with the 3/J clash was worth it. As I said I’d definitely have been happy card-advantage wise if not for the pump. And I definitely should have just taken my damage when I landed the throw after the second Clockwork Soldiers got attached. I died with all of those normals sitting in my hand because I never got a chance to play them. I was a little surprised to see FA on a 5 card hand with K+ available but sometimes your opponent just gets good draws. Overall looking back my only combat win in the second half of the game was blocking a Q and it’s pretty tough to close out a game when you can’t win combat.

I’d definitely be interested to hear other opinions about Val vs Oni!

4 Likes

Leontes vs. Copper8642

Leontes wins 3-2

:midori::knockdown::psfist::menelker: (1HP comeback!)
:midori::psfist::knockdown::menelker:
:midori::knockdown::psfist::menelker:

7 Likes

Just finished watching the set, and my main comment on the last game would be that you didn’t capitalize on some windows where Corroyeur was highly likely to not have FA and was further unwilling to play normals to defend himself from throws. I think playing the 10 to force FA early-ish was actually in your favour, in spite of the damage incurred. It put Corroyeur on a 7ish card hand for most of the rest of the game, and gave you a chance to bully Oni.

I think of the match-up as pretty bad to fairly bad for Valerie. Onimaru has a lot of tools to make the early and late game very stressful for Valerie, and a good amount of hitpoints.

3 Likes

Morningstar Sanctuary, Week 4
Scymrian > FaceOnMars 3-1

Oni > Lum
Oni < Lum
Oni > Lum
Oni > Lum

Very fun games! I tried to switch after my loss, but it didn’t take in the client. Decided to just take it and finished out the last two games which were tense (what games aren’t, really)? Final game, he Jackpotted one of my Jokers, so I got to play some fun facedown games :slight_smile:

Thanks for the games, @FaceOnMars! Good luck going forward!

7 Likes

My debut as Lum. I felt I at least made him work for it. gg’s. My first criteria is “did I have a fun set”. YES I DID!

9 Likes

Dreadlands
Attilian :ps3gem: - :ps1gem: @neigutten

:grave: :pscrash::pschip: :rook:
:grave: :pschip::pscrash: :rook:

This was a great set with lots of fun and close finishes. Ggs neigutten. Good luck in the rest of the league.

4 Likes

In the second game I blocked so much times in a row, I was both discarding 4 cards and blocking two True Power Of Storms ^^

This turn is the turn the blocking begins.

This is the winning turn.

Paragon of Patience achievement unlocked.

4 Likes