[Yomi Tournament] IYL 5

ggs Twenty-Seven You played well.

I got tilted by Quince shenanigans in round one and then tilted further by Menelker deck destruction in game 3. Was just feeling kinda depressed in game 4.

2 Likes

What can I say, I got it from the God himself!

4 Likes

God? No. God Hunter.

7 Likes

Ivan 3 - 2 Shamusj
:chibijaina::pschip::psfist::troq:
:geiger::psfist::pschip::chibitroq:
:chibigeiger::pschip::psfist::grave:
:geiger::psfist::pschip::chibigrave:
:geiger::psfist::pschip::chibisetsuki:

Good games and well played Shamusj.

4 Likes

Flagstone City
Hobusu 0 - 3 @Fivec
:chibisetsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:

Good games! As Fivec and I discussed, the only other character I have much experience with is DeGrey, so I decided to stick with what I find to be a hilarious MU. So many hugs were had! I got close a couple times, but Fivec definitely played a better Setsuki than I did. Very well played!

5 Likes

Flagstone City
flagrantangles wins 3-1 versus @Copper8642
:quince: :psfist::pschip: :menelker: - Spin to win. Spins are extra good if your opponent doesn’t have jokers.
:quince: :pschip::psfist: :menelker: - DSD defeats K-Spin in a game-winning fashion. WHO COULD HAVE FORESEEN THIS?!
:persephone: :psfist::pschip: :menelker: - We hurt each others’ hands in a game of chicken. Persephone never cries first. P.S. Mistress’s Command is mean AF, especially when it runs into DSD.
:persephone: :psfist::pschip: :menelker: A smooth running vortex is what we all dream of.

GGs Copper, you’re still hella fun to play with!

8 Likes

I’m working on sending out the week 2 match scheduling threads. I’m the meantime, does anyone have contact info outside the fun for @Chase or @MadKing? Neither have responded in their week 1 threads, and I want to make sure they didn’t miss the start (since I moved the schedule of the tournament up)

1 Like

Dreadlands

Caralad vs @Corroyeur

:troq: :psfist::pschip: :onimaru:
:troq: :psfist::pschip: :onimaru:
:troq: :pschip::psfist: :onimaru:
:argagarg: :psfist::pschip: :onimaru:

Caralad wins vs @Corroyeur 3-1

GGs man. Sorry I had to scum to Arg in the end, but I almost regretted it.

7 Likes

it’s all good, that last match was really fun.

5 Likes

Sadly my recording failed because Nvidea settings, laptops and OBS don’t seem to like each other. Maybe next time.

1 Like

I’ll tweet at Mad King. No contact info for Chase though.

1 Like

@MadKing has been found! Long live the King! :smile_cat:

3 Likes

And lo, something stirred within The Dreadlands…could it be…a fish?

thehug0naut vs @neigutten
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::rook: Poked all the throws. Even a CMB.
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::rook: He learns the fear of 10*. AA does work. CMB got poked.
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::rook: Got a BS up but he managed to keep me scared. Despite a valiant effort in the end game, I had the necessary strangle-tools: 7s to keep rock armour at bay, 10s for K/5-block and I even drew the 2nd joker to defuse AA/CMB. The whirlpool of doom was quick to follow.

thehug0naut wins 3-0

So I ended up in the matchup that finally convinced me to move away from :codexrook:. Only this time I was the hellfish. And I gave him hell. I even enjoyed it.

Just call me thehug0traitor :imp:

P.s. are you proud yet @FraaOrolo

8 Likes

Morningstar Sanctuary results: scymrian > Southpaw Hare 3:2

Zane > Geiger
Zane < Rook
Geiger < Rook
Onimaru > Rook
Onimaru > Vendetta

From my side, the first two games were fairly standard games of Yomi. I led Zane on a feeling that Geiger would be SPH’s lead, then couldn’t quite navigate the tricky Rook matchup.

I attempted the Geiger counterpick on Rook, but my record of not being great at that holds up. Geiger isn’t a character that jives well with me, which is a shame because I believe him to be the perfect gapfiller in my preferred Oni/Zane shell, but playing him is always a stressful chore. Need to investigate some other option.

So, knowing that Geiger is mechanically advantaged over Rook but not feeling confident in my Geiger, I made the anti-counterpick back to Onimaru, for the “mirror.” Onimaru/Rook matches are always incredibly tense, but they’re one of my favorite things to do in Yomi. After a long, sweaty game that involved my not finding a 9 until something like the third-to-last turn, I managed to pull it out.

SPH pulls Vendetta for the decider, Onimaru/Vendetta not being a matchup I’m well-versed in. According to MJ’s chart, I’ve played it exactly once before, for a loss. I managed to dance around a known Surgical Strike for a lifetime before eventually blocking it, I set up a ton of Clockwork that couldn’t pay off right, I ate a few kings, we just generally slugged back and forth for a good while, until after having to throw enough desperate Acrobatics, SPH was just down to, I think two cards in hand, and I sank the match with 9 throw. Flagrantangles was seen in the audience losing his goddamned mind the entire time.

Thank you so much for the games, SPH! Good luck with the rest of your bracket!

9 Likes

Persephone.

I wasn’t there but your story checks out.

4 Likes

Pandaland
sharpobject 3-1 @HarryBModest
:gloria::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:gloria::pschip::psfist::setsuki:

Is it ok to use gloria against new players??

10 Likes

I think I almost held my own! Most thrilling loss of my life.

8 Likes

Pandaland
tcby 0 - 3 ClanNatioy

:jaina: < :bbb:
:jaina: < :bbb:
:argagarg: < :bbb:

ggs @tcby was a fun set. Your UP mix ups had me scared, though I was a bit confused about the UP turns at range. Was hoping to see the Jaina BBB madness go on for 4+ games, we were close to that first game draw though. Sorry you hadn’t seen BBB all that much (that is my secret weapon now that I’m past my prime) hopefully you can smash other people bots in the future.

6 Likes

ye never seen BBB before; only ever play physical and I don’t own him lol
ggs was fun~

5 Likes

BBB can be a shock.

2 Likes