[Yomi Tournament] IYL 5

Buff Troq, Nerf BBB

1 Like

BBB has way too high of a payoff from even what seem to be inconsequential combat wins (or even some losses) to ever be considered “weak”, IMO. Also is the only vortex character whose vortex doesn’t just end on its own, without the need to be constantly maintained. Also, his super is one of the best in the game, with only such luminaries as True Power of Storms and Maximum Anarchy being better.

1 Like

I slightly disagree that BBB doesn’t have to maintain his vortex and that it doesn’t end on its own. There is a high risk of Long Range ending if he plays a block, which he sometimes has to do. So his maintenance is “Play Anything Other Than Block”. …which is pretty open-ended, but it’s still a thing.

1 Like

Flagstone City

Me vs. Fusxfaranto

I win 3-1

:chibitroq: :psfist::pschip: :chibigwen:
:chibitroq: :psfist::pschip: :chibibbb:
:chibitroq: :pschip::psfist: :chibibbb:
:chibigwen: :psfist::pschip: :chibibbb:

Honorable games concluded.

6 Likes

Flagstone City – Round 12
Hobusu vs @vengefulpickle

:setsuki: :pscrash: :pschip: :chibivendetta: (PERFECT)
:chibisetsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :vendetta:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :chibivendetta:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :chibivendetta:

Final score: Hobusu 3 – vengefulpickle 1 (all games Setsuki vs Vendetta)

I went into this remembering that we’re both Setsuki players and that I’ve seen him play Rook before in casuals. That made DeGrey not as appealing, especially since I enjoy the Setsuki mirror more than I probably should… But he surprised me with Vendetta, so it didn’t matter anyway. I enjoyed these games quite a bit, and the middle two games were quite intense!

4 Likes

Pandaland
sharpobject 3-1 @Castanietzsche
:gloria::pschip::psfist::quince:
:geiger::psfist::pschip::quince:
:geiger::psfist::pschip::vendetta:
:geiger::psfist::pschip::vendetta:

Quince is very scary!! I think I did 3 damage in the first game by getting K blocked and never healed. So it wasn’t the greatest game for Gloria. I put on my counterpicking hat and did Geiger things for a while, and it went pretty well. It felt like Castanietzche really had the read for a lot of his games as Vendetta, but Vendetta just doesn’t get much reward for knowing that Geiger still wants to block.

Good games, and good luck in the rest of the tournament!

6 Likes

Flagstone City

Me vs. flagrantangles

I win, 3-2

:chibiargagarg: :psfist::pschip: :chibiquince: never tell me the odds
:chibiargagarg: :pschip::psfist: :chibiquince: hey yo, what were those odds again?
:chibivalerie: :pschip::psfist: :chibiquince: my draws were illuminati plants
:chibivendetta: :psfist::pschip: :chibiquince: drew all four acros, didn’t need to use any
:chibivendetta: :psfist::pschip: :chibipersephone: last combat: my 9 throw beat his ten throw. Impossible to script

Honorable league concluded.

10 Likes

I would like everyone to know that the Val/Quince game reminds me of something @migohunter said, “does valerie even CP Quince?” Turns out that if Val goes too low on cards, Quincenanigans will DESTROY HER ENTIRE BODY. Granted, it also helps that I had all 4 Two Truths by turn 2 or 3 so I was able to recur ALL the stuff.

I botched the first Arg game. He played very aggressively with throws and I just wasn’t ready. There were a couple of times where I almost swung into them but then I thought, SURELY HE WONT?! He surely did and I surely died. I got something going near the end, but couldn’t close it.

The next Arg game involved some adjustments into murder. It progressed moderately evenly until the end when things accelerated in my favor.

The Persephone/Vendetta game was pure unadulterated hellfun. It was so tense and wonderful and I felt like we were playing the kind of Yomi I enjoy the most: the kind that makes your body shake with tension! Outside of a couple of sneaky K-throws in the beginning of the game, I managed to clobber many of his throws with my attacks. Near the end I thought for sure I had him when I dodged his Maximum Ven but Acrobatics proved me wrong. No Mistress’s Command for me. Since I had lethal, I went for the throw since he had played previous Acro turns so defensively and I thought, for sure, he was going to dodge. Instead I get hit in the face with a K56 which ties up our life totals. After that, I go for a throw kinda out of desperation, but also because I think he’s likely to dodge. Instead, I get undercut and die.

All told, I don’t mind going out like this. GGs @Niijima-san

13 Likes

Flagstone City

Leontes vs. vengefulpickle

:midori::psfist::knockdown::vendetta:

ggs, pickle! I drew very well and it seems all of my mixups caught the right end and you didn’t draw Acro or Jokers at all. Sometimes a dragon just kills you when that happens.

Thanks so much for running this awesome league. You’re doing a great job and I feel you’ve done IYL the justice and respect it deserves! Keep going!

10 Likes

Oh, also, go @Copper8642 imo, spoil @Fivec and @Fusxfaranto for me so I can have easy playoff ride plz

Btw I think I actually “win the tiebreaker” against @Niijima-san by Challonge! standards if I win my last game, since I “won more sets” than he did, even though I lost to him. @Flooffiness and I were the only ones (outside of @Pwntology) who played against @Hydro before he dropped out, so we (Fluff and I) have more actual played sets than others in the division.

So if I win my last game against Flooffiness then I will have a “better” record than Niijima-san despite losing our set mid season. Peculiar.

Let’s see what happens? We might end up with a four-way tie at 10-2 in Flagstone, lmao

3 Likes

Sadly, I couldn’t get Challonge to do the right thing with the 2nd tie breaker. We’ll have to go to @mysticjuicer’s sheet for the official percentages.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s always been the case. It’s better than the alternative though.

Paging Dr. @cpat

3 Likes

Here is your playoff picture for Flagstone City. The top 4 is especially muddled since Fivec still has two games left to play. There is also the potential for a three-man one-game playoff.

[details=Full Explanation]This division can be split up into two sections, those can score 8+ wins, and those who can score exactly 7 wins.

[details=8+ wins]@Niijima-san (26-14, 0.650) owns wins over Fusxfaranto and Leontes, but has lost to Fivec.
@Fusxfaranto (23-12, 0.657) owns wins over Leontes and Fivec, but has lost to Niijima-san.
@Leontes (25-16, 0.610) owns a win over Fivec, but has lost to Niijima-san and Fusxfaranto.
@Fivec (20-10, 0.667) owns a win over Niijima-san, but has lost to Fusxfaranto and Leontes.

If Fusxfaranto wins

[details=If Leontes wins]If Fivec goes 2-0, then there will be four players at 10-2. In this scenario, Niijima-san and Fusxfaranto are 2-1 and Leontes and Fivec are 1-2. If Fusxfaranto wins 3-0 or 3-1, he will have a better WPCT than Niijima-san and he will take first. If Fusxfaranto wins 3-2, they will have the same record and will have a one game play-off for first place. Leontes will have a WPCT between 0.608 and 0.636. Fivec will have a WPCT between 0.650 and 0.722. Thus, Fivec gets third and Leontes gets fourth.

If Fivec goes 1-1 or 0-2, then the same situation applies for Niijima-san and Fusxfaranto, but Leontes earns third and Fivec earns fourth.[/details]

[details=If Leontes loses]If Fivec goes 2-0, then there will be three players at 10-2. In this scenario, there is a three way tie for first. Fusxfaranto would have a WPCT of 0.684, 0.667, or 0.650. Fivec would have a WPCT of 0.722, 0.702, 0.684, 0.667, or 0.650. Fivec earns first if he goes 6-0 or 6-1, goes 6-2 while Fusxfaranto goes worse than 3-0, or goes 6-3 while Fusxfaranto goes worse than 3-1. Fusxfaranto earns first if he goes 3-0 while Fivec goes 6-3 or worse, or if he goes 3-1 and Fivec goes 6-4. If Fusxfaranto goes 3-0 and Fivec goes 6-2, or 3-1 and 6-3, respectively, they will be tied again, resulting in a one-game playoff. If Fusxfaranto goes 3-2, he will be tied with Niijima-san; likewise, if Fivec goes 6-4, he will be tied with Niijima-san. This could result in a three-way tie for first after head-to-head tiebreaker. If neither Fusxfaranto goes 3-2 nor Fivec goes 6-4, Niijima-san gets third. If one of those happens, there would be a two-way tie for second, resulting in a one game playoff. In all these scenarios, Leontes earns fourth place.

If Fivec goes 1-1 or 0-2, Niijima-san will take first and Fusxfaranto will take second by head-to-head. If Fivec goes 1-1, then his record will be the same as Leontes. Since Leontes beat Fivec, if Fivec loses one of his next two games, Leontes will take third and Fivec will take fourth.[/details]

If Fusxfaranto loses

[details=If Leontes wins]If Fivec goes 2-0, then there will be a three-way tie for first, with the same head-to-head. However, Leontes cannot overtake Niijima-san’s WPCT (he can earn at best 0.636), so he will take third place. If Fivec goes exactly 6-4, then there would be a one-game playoff for first. In all other cases, Fivec earns first and Niijima-san earns second. Fusxfaranto always earns fourth.

If Fivec goes 1-1 or 0-2, then Niijima-san earns first and Leontes earns second due to head-to-head. Furthermore,
since Fusxfaranto beat Fivec, he takes third and Fivec takes fourth.[/details]

[details=If Leontes loses]If Fivec goes 2-0, then he takes first, Niijima-san takes second, Fusxfaranto takes third, and Leontes takes fourth.

If Fivec goes 1-1, then there is a three-way tie for second. However, since Fusxfaranto beat both Leontes and Fivec,
he would take second, and since Leontes beat Fivec, he would take third.

If Fivec goes 0-2, the same would happen.[/details]

[/details]

[details=7 wins]There are four players who can go 7-5, and from these, one player will earn the second play-in slot.
@flagrantangles (15-19, 0.441) has finished all of his games, earning victories over Flooffiness and Copper8642, but losing to Thelo.
@Thelo (19-20, 0.487) needs to win his last game. He has earned victories over flagrantangles and Copper8642. He has not played Floofiness yet.
Copper8642 (16-17, 0.485) needs to win his last two games. He has lost to flagrantangles, Flooffiness, and Thelo.
Flooffiness (14-15, 0.483) needs to win her last three games. She has earned a victory over Copper8642. She has not yet played Thelo. She has lost to flagrantangles.

If Thelo wins, then regardless of Copper8642’s matches, he earns fifth place since he wins the tiebreak.
If Flooffiness wins, then regardless of Copper8642’s matches, flagrantangles earns fifth place since he wins the tiebreak.
[/details]
[/details]

5 Likes

Since the first tie break is h2h and then game win% I’m not sure how most of this makes any sense. Unless three or more people tie for head to head and then two or more of them tie for game win % I don’t see why there would be a single game playoff.

If fivec wins both 3-2 and then one more person gets 10-2 fivec and I will tie on win% but he beat me, so would that put him above me automatically, without a need to play off? It seems like everything can be resolved without extra games, but I will admit I’m not a bracketologist.

Also I clearly calculated fusx’s game win % incorrectly, so that messed up my previous post a little bit.

Yes you are correct, that is the only way that a single game playoff would occur. I think that is the case wherever I mentioned it though? Double-check me if you think I am wrong though.

I am fully aware that I probably deserve 4th place or whatever, but I was just pointing out that if Fivec/Fusx lose a game and I win my last one, I think Challonge will put me at 1st place because of “set wins” so we need to be careful about what the standings look like.

I misspoke and meant you should only get single game playoff if three people are all tied on game win%. In theory, if let’s say Leontes Fivec and I end up in a 3 way tie and it goes to win%, and Fivec and I both tie on win% but leontes has a lower win%, wouldn’t it automatically go Fivec, Me, Leontes, since leontes is put in 3rd by the % tiebreaker, but then tiebreaker #1 comes back between Fivec and I and he wins that?

No, the tiebreakers shouldn’t be reconsidered. Once you’ve checked head-to-head and determined that all three are tied, then if win% is also tied, it goes to a single-game playoff.

1 Like

I see. Thank you. It seems more streamlined and logical to reconsider the tiebreakers, but I suppose if that’s not the way it works then that’s not the way it works.

Also, SINGLE GAME? That’s pretty heavy.