[Yomi Tournament] IYL 5

thehug0naut vs @Caralad in THE DREADLANDS

:argagarg::pschip::psfist::troq: Troq draws all the face cards, I play close to mono-attack and provide a face to put them in
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::troq: I build up a hand then return the favour, putting my K straight into his unleashed face beast
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::troq: I drew all my 5s and 6s this game, and promptly forced them into Troq. @Copper8642 was on the sidelines with his BAH GAW-ometer turned up to 11 :grin:
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::grave: I could tell he had gone a little on tilt at this point, and I drew into 2 jokers early which probably made it even more salty than it had to be. The backup HP meant I could play mostly super turtle mode early, with a switch into punch-bot when I wasn’t likely to eat 45 damage to the kisser. I blocked his TPoS then played out AA and face cards every time I could until he succumbed

thehug0naut wins 3-1

ggs @Caralad, you fought valiantly but my fish brought too many haymakers this day

7 Likes

Zejety’s :gwen: beats @tcby’s :jaina: 3-1.

:gwen::psfist::knockdown::jaina: I started out with a great hand (converted my first 2-attack into 2-3-4-5-AA) and rode a lot of combat wins to victory.
:gwen::knockdown::psfist::jaina: I got decimated in this one. Attacked into a lot of blocks early and gave tcby fuel for his superior late game. My desparation Dreadlands Portals didn’t hit either.
:gwen::psfist::knockdown::jaina: I took some early hits (tho not as badly as in round 2) and ended up in a similiar pickle: low on life, Qs and with many Embers in tcby’s discard pile. I think this one would have been checkmate if he had not played throws on his final two Unstable Powers turns. The first one got me (but I bursted for my life), but I saw no reason not to risk the J on the second one, and confirmed into 35 damage.
:gwen::psfist::knockdown::jaina: Not particularly remarkable. I won more combats than tcby. As I understand the MU, Jaina needs to make it into the lategame with several Embers in her discard and Aces in her hand. Having learned my lesson from the prior two games, I was saving a bunch of Qs, but we didn’t make it late enough into the game for them to come up. CLosed out the match with single A spam.

GGs!

3 Likes

Thelo :bbb: 3 - 0 :quince: flagrantangles
in Flagstone City

:bbb: > :quince:

Good games!

4 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @variable in Morningstar Sanctuary

:bbb: :pschip::psfist: :menelker:
:rook: :psfist::pschip: :menelker:
:rook: :psfist::pschip: :menelker:
:rook: :psfist::pschip: :geiger: :psgem:CHECKMATE BUSTER FINISH!:psgem:

Southpaw Hare 3 - 1 variable
Southpaw Hare wins!

I haven’t confirmed any of the math people were talking about, so I’m curious as to whether this gets me into the second phase. I look forward to someone letting me know!

9 Likes

I probably should have mentioned, in my usual style, that the final round was a CHECKMATE BUSTER FINISH! This has been rectified.

3 Likes

In Geiger’s face no less, truly the sweetest of busters

3 Likes

morningstar sanctuary

mysticjuicer 3 - 2 Phrawger

:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :midori:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :midori:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:

ggs Phrawger! really felt like I was going to take the 0-3 on this one, and then managed to get some extremely lucky reveals.

7 Likes

CKR over @scymrian 3-0

All :zane: vs :onimaru:

ggs.

4 Likes

Yay, ty CKR. 2nd!

2 Likes

Damn it. If only I would have known then what I know now, I would of thrown that match. Congrats Fluffy and congrats to mysticjuicer for going undefeated.

Awhile back, I remember reading basketball related articles about Kobe Bryant. People were asking the question, “Does clutch play really exist?” The conclusion was no.

You may be asking, “What is the point?” Mysticjuicer finished 11-0. Five times he went to game 5 and 5 times he was clutch. I think I might have an award winning article series to write about this new discovery. If you still have any doubt, the last game 5 he won with Oni vs Arg. I rest my case.

I believe this is the final order for Morningstar Sanctuary.

1. mysticjuicer - Dominant performance.
  2. Fluffiness - Rockin SS Grand Finals and a solid IYL showing.
  3. Southpaw Hare - Fantastic end to the season.
  4. CKR - I was 3-4 and made it here with a 4 game win streak.
  5. Scymrian - He was a contender for the 2nd place spot until the very end.

I would also like to mention the turning point of my season. [quote=“CKR, post:338, topic:2639”]
CKR over @pengwndude 3-2

All :zane:vs :chibitroq:

For this match I decided f*** the carousel. I’m playing this thing out. I think I am going to have to start thinking about my opponents again because there are a lot more people counterpicking.
[/quote]

This was the point where I left the carousel. I went through Troq, Onimaru, and Rook to get here. It does feel really good to have a winning record in all of Zane’s bad matchups. I still might get pissed again and jump back on the carousel, but for now I will bask in my usually temporary Yomi glory.

7 Likes

Pandaland
sharpobject 3-0 @Twenty-Seven
:gloria::psfist::pschip::menelker:

Good games!

The set felt pretty close. Gloria is always in danger of losing against characters that can deal so much damage, and game 3 was really down to the wire.

In game 2 I made a pretty big error where I went down to 2 top-decked cards and I needed them to be non-hearts to keep up my 3 healing spheres. I could have made a similar play that didn’t rely on top-decking any non-hearts cards. At this point I hadn’t drawn very many hearts, so it was especially bad to do this. I got lucky though, so it worked out anyway!

4 Likes

International Yomi League, Week 11
Dreadlands Division

Mystic Deadman vs. @Ivan

:chibizane::psfist::pschip::chibigrave:
:chibizane::psfist::pschip::chibivalerie:
:chibizane::pschip::psfist::chibivalerie:
:chibilum::psfist::pschip::chibivalerie:

Final Score:

MD 3-1 Ivan

Went 2-for-2 with Max Anarchy, including one that ended Game 1. Game 3 went better in Ivan’s favor, as I had a really hard time finding blocks for most of it. Game 4 2as a near perfect, but a J-5 clash (5 was backed by 2 Bursts of Speed) put an early end to that. I got lucky in that game, as he couldn’t find any of his Aces, which let me bully him with K for quite a while. He also got lucky that I couldn’t find any of my Ts, which helped him live as long as he could without being able to shove me off of him.

GGs d00d, and good luck the rest of the season!

5 Likes

So, this seems to be exactly what happened. The three of us have exactly equal statistics (except for the total round wins at the far right), including tie-breakers, and each of us beat one of the others and lost to the third in a circular pattern. So what is the tie-breaker-tie-breaker?

Should we all just fight each other in another Round Robin or something, since there was going to be fighting involved for a final spot anyway?

1 Like

The tie-breakers are

head to head, individual game win percentage

So, head-to-head, you all are tied. Game win %, though, challonge can’t calculate for us (best it can do, based on how we report games in it, is give us the total games, or the games differential). So, I’ll go through and add up the total number of wins and losses in each match, and calculate the percentages to break the tie.

2 Likes

Unless I’m misunderstanding the metric, my online spreadsheet will calculate that for you. Just filter for ‘IYL Season 5’ by typing it into the ‘event’ field, and then compare the three players. Make sure the ‘set win %’ gives you their 7-4 winrate. If it doesn’t, then I’ve missed recording one of their games.

edit: their set winrates are all 6-4, as the bye against madking is not recorded in my spreadsheet, whereas it is recorded in challonge.

2 Likes

Aha, excellent! I’ll check that out!

2 Likes

Here’s what I got. Triple-check, of course:

SPH 23-17 = 57.5%
CKR 24-18 = 57.1%
Scy 21-20 = 51.2%

1 Like

Yup, confirmed. I had to fix an error I made recording one of SPH’s matches; 23-17 is the corrected value. All scores match to the challonge results.

2 Likes

Wow, so CKR had 1 win and 1 loss more than me, which lowered his win percentage juuust that little bit to matter. This literally came down to a single point situation, then Even a single additional win by CKR or a single more loss by me would have flipped it. Like, dang son.

3 Likes

BTW guys, I just want to point out that, according to the @mysticjuicer chart for IYL5, :bbb: is the character with highest win rate, and one of only two characters in the 6.0 character club at a whopping 6.1 (other is :midori: at 6.0). Also, he has a 100% win ratio against :zane: - though obviously based on a small sample size (and all incidentally from me), that’s something of a statement.

Ahh, how the little robot that could has come so far…
:bbb: :bbb: :bbb:

2 Likes