Jadiel 3-2 FaceOnMars

:degrey::pschip::psfist::vendetta:
:degrey::psfist::pschip::vendetta:
:degrey::pschip::psfist::vendetta:

Fun set, thanks for a first hand lesson in the degrey/ven matchup

6 Likes

You could at least say how close the games were even if they were’nt. It might lead people to the conclusion that I suck! Just kidding. GG’s WP. I blame IaN for everything.

Been practicing Ven against DeGrey all week and it’s always been a 50/50 proposition. Which is better than any other char that I currently play. The better player won today. Thanks for an enjoyable set.

5 Likes

The games were all really close (except maybe the last one, and one of the earlier ones which you smashed me in)! I should have said that :slight_smile: and it was definitely IaNs fault. Everything

4 Likes

Thanks. I’m trying to blackmail IaN into coaching me more!

1 Like

#BlameIamNobody
#BlameDieMyDarling
#SubscribeToDieMyDarlinbgOnTwitch

5 Likes

Just gonna butt in here because Paul tagged me - there simply isn’t much reason to switch out there. It’s an advantaged matchup where he gets to play his best/favorite character, and doesn’t have to worry about a counter-counter pick because it’s going into game 5.

Some people will psyche themselves out, of course, and you gotta do what you gotta do to avoid getting into your own head - but it’s typically my philosophy that, if I lost an advantaged matchup, well, that happens sometimes. Shake it off and go to the next game, no need to get too fancy.

Sometimes you lose the same advantaged matchup 3 times in a row, and that’s unfortunate, but it happens too. Like, 6-4 means the side with the best of it still gets washed out 6.4% of the time, right? That’s variance. For me, the variance is a feature, not a bug. If I wanted to play a game without it, I’d spend my time studying Chess instead, but I find this more fun.

5 Likes

Zqxx vs HarrBModest

:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
:argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:

The first two rounds were extremely close. The second I managed to win the second round thanks to chip damage while I was sitting on 1HP. Midori proved to be more challenging, but still some close rounds.

Thanks Zqxx for the games and the friendly advice afterwards!

5 Likes

tcby vs sharpobject

:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria:
:jaina: :pschip: :psfist: :gloria:
:jaina: :pschip: :psfist: :gloria:

there were a few pretty close games, with I believe game 3 being a super hard comeback by sharpobject. Hadn’t played against a Gloria before so had to learn the MU on the fly, but eventually got the hang of it. Lots of good reads by sharpobject on Unstable Power plays; was fun.

Result: tcby wins 3-2 over sharpobject

8 Likes

GO GO, Jaina players :jaina: :heart: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hey, I’m not getting responses in any of my PMs. @Fluffiness and @mydrothers Heyoooo.

1 Like

Morningstar Sanctuary, round 9: scymrian > @pengwndude 3:0

Onimaru > Troq
Onimaru > Zane
Onimaru > Zane

This set was so much fun. Game 2 and Game 3 were both very tight, with Game 2 being very near going to time (I believe he had 4 cards left in deck at the end of the round). He also had great patience on a known Anarchy, which I admire in Zanes - it was tough to dance around, but I managed. I won’t sit here and say I wasn’t incredibly lucky: in game 3, he C&D’d me into a much better hand (one with two jokers, even!). This cat is a formidable opponent, which is what I expect from anyone who takes a set off my beloved @Phrawger, to whom I dedicate all of my victories in this division thus far.

ggs, pengwndude! I’m sure you’ll pay me back the pain in Fantasy Strike sometime soon!

5 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @mydrothers

:bbb: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: :psgem: Long Arm Armor Through Maximum Anarchy!:psgem:
:bbb: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: :psgem:PERFECT!:psgem:
:bbb: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:

Southpaw Hare 3 - 0 MyDrothers
Southpaw Hare wins!

Southpaw Hare vs Fluffiness

:bbb: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria:
:bbb: :pschip: :psfist: :grave:
:vendetta: :pschip: :psfist: :grave:
:gloria: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:
:gloria: :pschip: :psfist: :zane: :psgem:PERFECT!:psgem:

Southpaw Hare 2 - 3 Fluffiness
Fluffiness wins!

GGs to both opponents!

5 Likes

Copper vs UTRALAW

3-0

:menelker::psfist::pschip::persephone:
DSD!
OTHER MOVES!
DSD!

9 Likes

thehug0naut vs @Attilian in THE DREADLANDS
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::troq: I draw into 10s and attack without fear of Ks. Get his life low then we battle with 10s, he has one more, but I win the final combat.
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::troq: Beast tried to be unleashed but was punched out hard.
:argagarg::pschip::psfist::troq: He switches his range to AGGRO FACECARD BULL and I oblige him by supplying a face to punch
:argagarg::pschip::psfist::troq: He takes another early lead and in response I try to punch him and activate his blocks. I respect raw BU too much and eat face cards again. Turns out he had at most a single ace in hand :sweat_smile:
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::troq: When my first turn throw is K-d I switch to a super heavy block range to try and absorb his face cards. By the end game I’ve drawn into a lot of face cards, AA and a joker with both our HP around the 25 mark. I range shift into mono attack with my high damage face cards and eventually they start hitting him and get him laid low. Pseudo checkmate with him at 2HP and AA and joker in hand (7 and 10s for follow up turns if it goes awry), so I just play the AA and take the match!

thehug0naut wins 3-2!

GGs @Attilian - really enjoyable set! :smiley:

6 Likes

Morningstar
Pengwndude vs @CKR

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :zane:

The anarchy was maxed out at the end

5 Likes

morningstar sanctuary

mysticjuicer 3 - 0 FaceOnMars

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :gwen:

ggs sir, Lum always gets my heart pumping that much faster :open_mouth:

7 Likes

Morningstar Sanctuary (Thanks variable for reminding me to put this here.)

Two Matches

CKR over @pengwndude 3-2

All :zane:vs :chibitroq:

For this match I decided f*** the carousel. I’m playing this thing out. I think I am going to have to start thinking about my opponents again because there are a lot more people counterpicking.

CKR over @variable 3-1

All :zane:vs :gloria:

This was pretty fun, but tough for variable. I eight threw (already used most of my deck’s 5s and 7s) for the win because I felt like we was both playing a fairly conservative set. Sometimes you have to get radical to win it.

GGs to all involved.

6 Likes

Yeah, that set felt bad to lose even though it doesn’t look close as a 3-1. :crying_cat_face: But I feel like I really misplayed a few turns - the last two turns specifically! If I Sun & Moon on the first of those ye could be in a rough spot even if ye have a Joker, but I got caught trying to block a dodge both of those times instead! I should have been able to figure out why ye were willing to do that (Because ye had a Joker!), but at the time that wasn’t clear to me.

I also hadn’t fully considered how annoying it could be to play Gloria against a very good :zane:, especially in regard to 5 Throw, 7 Throw, K, & MA. I occasionally dealt with these well, but on many of my pretty essential Healing Sphere turns I didn’t read ye properly and get caught unawares. That K that was combat-revealed one turn after a 5 in game 4 was particularly painful! :scream_cat:

It was also surprising to me how often ye went for T1 block, though! I think that happened every game. Maybe I don’t understand Zane, but I didn’t expect a T1 block to come every time! Maybe ye didn’t have solid enough follow-ups/wanted me to throw to start my offense, which does make sense, though!

In short, the better player on this day definitely won! Thanks for the lesson & good luck in the rest of IYL, @CKR!! :smiley_cat:

Note to TOs: We are all in Morningstar Sanctuary!

4 Likes

I lost many matches against Gloria with Zane. I used to press the throw button early and often, but what I found was that I lost to attacks more often than not. My goal is to force Gloria to throw. Her attacks are so dominant vs Zane. If I can get Gloria to consider throwing, I can at least consider attacking and my throws are dominant. Plus, if you attack my blocks, then I am one step closer to Maximum Anarchy, and Gloria is very weak against Zane in that situation.

3 Likes

I was so excited to play you and was so disappointed with the quality of my play! You’re play was precise and workmanlike and you deserved to win. But I allowed myself to become despondent early in the set and failed to recover. I hope we can play again in the near future.

I had been practicing Lum vs. Oni all week in anticipation and it really threw me off to see you open with Troq! My bad.

4 Likes