[Yomi Tournament] IYL 5

Good games, @mydrothers! I’m sorry about overkilling ye in game four! I panic in situations like that occasionally & I didn’t want to miss lethal (Assuming no Jokers!). Ye Rook handled Gloria very well, but once I switched to Geiger I think that ye needed to widen ye range and block more. That Rock Armor in game five realllllly seemed to wreck ye hand, as well! For the rest of the game I was about two cards ahead of ye, and I was fortunate to have some really solid options in there, but blocking a bit more even in that situation might have allowed a comeback!

Still, good luck in the rest of IYL5! :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

IYL 5 Round 6 @ThreeHeadedMonkey vs @HarryBModest (3v1)

:degrey: :pschip::psfist: :setsuki:
:zane: :psfist::pschip: :setsuki:

Well played! You read my plays really well in the first game! I switched to a more comfortable pick and managed to hold it from there.

Thanks for accommodating me and I wish you luck for the rest of the Tournament!

3 Likes

I was feeling pretty confident after the first match! And then you brought out Zane and everything changed. Especially that Maximum Anarchy in the last match! I only lost combat twice, but that’s all it took…

Thanks for the games and good luck to you too.

2 Likes

And once again, a single match has huge ramifications on the Playoff Picture as it stands.

Who would’ve know that, according to Challonge, me beating @BD_Corro would’ve given @MR75 first place and tiebreakers over everyone in the Dreadlands Division!

Truly we are in the most insane of divisions.

5 Likes

Pandalands
Zejety 1 - 3 ClanNatioy

:argagarg: > :bbb: got smashed by fishy things
:argagarg: < :bbb: A nail bitter that has me at 3 health to his 29 and was able to win it at 1 health (jokers were kaput)
:argagarg: < :bbb: don’t really remember what happened here. I did have checkmate Q in this one though.
:gwen: < :bbb: Out comes Transcendent Dhalsim. Got to range early, did some damage, got out of range and finished it with Overdrive JQ++

GGs Zejety, was a fun and exciting set. I maintain that BBB vs Arg isn’t too bad for BBB at all. If Arg runs out of jokers range is a nightmare for him and he’s got decent face card pokes to deal with neutral. Bummed not to see the BBB mirror but it turns out that I’m one of the only people that like that mu. GL in the rest of the tournament.

7 Likes

Pandalands

Zqxx v @Zejety
3-0

:argagarg::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::rook:
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::rook:

Good games!

5 Likes

I got stomped hard. Two rounds might as well have been perfects! Very well played!

3 Likes

GGs, Clan,
Looking forward to our Summer Smash match!

2 Likes

Dreadlands

Caralad vs @neigutten

Caralad wins 3-0

:grave: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:

Tighter that the scoreline showed, I won the first game with just 2 hp remaining. Second game was a lot more comfortable, hitting my stride, but a whiffed TPOS in game three put us both down to sub 5 card hands and both scrambling for hits.

GG Neigutten, good luck in the next round.

5 Likes

Dreadlands R5
MR vs Attilian 3-1

:grave::psfist::pschip::troq: great start for me, 90hp vs 15hp! but ultra comeback for him, till 1hp tvs 6hp!!!
and luck on my side on final choice (dodge vs J but a K in hand, phewww)

:grave::pschip::psfist::troq:balanced game till around 45hp vs 45hp, then he took me down to 41hp to 3hp…here I tried to resist till 20 vs 3 (blue burst on beast unleshed), then he slammed a J onto my bold 5 attack (not mention blocking even my desperation tpos)

:grave::psfist::pschip::troq: another tense game, managed to land a tpos and helped a lot

:grave::psfist::pschip::troq: balanced till 50hp vs 44hp, then I drew all my 7s and tpos in my hand. Broke his K attack with a 5 --> tpos

GGs @Attilian,
GL in the rest of the season!

4 Likes

I decided to overlay some commentary into some of my thought process of my last match with Neigutten. It’s something I had been meaning to do for a while with other matches, but I never quite found the right time to do it.

Also, please enjoy this other IYL5 that just occured in full, between Flagrantangles and Fivec

5 Likes

morningstar sanctuary (early edition!)

mysticjuicer 3 - 0 Southpaw Hare

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:

ggs SPH! those Troq/BBB games were hells of tense

5 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @Jadiel

:bbb: < :degrey:
:zane: > :degrey:
:zane: < :troq:
:geiger: > :troq:
:geiger: > :degrey:

Southpaw Hare 3 - 2 Jadiel
Southpaw Hare wins!

Southpaw Hare vs @mysticjuicer

:bbb: < :troq:
:bbb: < :troq:
:rook: < :troq:

Southpaw Hare 0 - 3 Mystic Juicer
Mystic Juicer wins!

GGs to both!

5 Likes

Caralad stole a bit of my thunder (I am seriously jealous of your YouTube upload speeds, my dude), but who wouldn’t want a double-dose of flagrantangles vs Fivec?

5 Likes

I’m really glad I caught this set as it was happening, because it had some of the most exciting games I’ve seen in a while!

4 Likes

also, because neither of the players has yet reported it

Flagstone City
flagrantangles vs Fivec results

[details=Summary]flagrantangles 0 - 3 Fivec

:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki: [/details]

3 Likes

Happy to see this recording, nice to see another perspective. You explained much better my hatred of setsuki though.

2 Likes

Speed of the Fox is now “Spirit of the Fox.”

This is a thing now, shut up.

2 Likes

@mysticjuicer @Caralad Friendly reminder that you can also post your vids here for greater visibility, if you want to.

We all appreciate you taking time to set up and commentate these matches.

5 Likes

I have so many responses to this video! First off, I think you articulate what makes Setsuki so difficult to fight very well. For the most part, I feel like I am not playing Yomi when I play against Setsuki. I think some of that is that because of what you described and some of that is that I find Setsuki so uninteresting and boring that I’ve never bothered to learn how to play as her or against her so that definitely works against me. It’s the same reason that I struggle against Zane and Troq. I don’t think they’re interesting characters so I really dislike playing as or against them.

Furthermore, I am actually pretty bad at valuation. I have a very hard time determining what’s in someone’s hand based on what they play. There are certain points where I have insights that are very useful to me. Sometimes I intuit what someone has in hand by what they give me from 2 Truths during a Positive Spin turn but otherwise I’m always thinking that their plays could be TRAPS. It certainly makes me a weaker player generally and probably becomes more pronounced against Setsuki. Or maybe it becomes less of an issue against her. I could go either way on that.

I do super agree about your assessment of Fivec though! He’s a super good player and it’s impressive watching his Setsuki do work. I don’t mind losing the vast majority of the time and I especially don’t mind losing to players who I think are better than me so while this set went very badly for me, it’s exactly what I expected so I’m not disappointed with my performance.

In the second game, it wasn’t so much about being courageous enough to play the honest Queen so much as it was my only spin in hand. I actually didn’t draw another one until near the end of the game. It was pretty uncomfortable. Also, I would like to take a moment to say that I was HARDCORE certain that Fivec wouldn’t call my bluff when I played Patriot Mirror into Ninpo Flash especially since I hadn’t played any bluffs or jokers during the last game so it would seem SUPER FACE UP when I played one the first time. I’m also ludicrously amused that you associate crazy throw duffs with me. As I look back on it, I definitely should have bluffed at the end since Fivec knew I had the joker. Oh well. Next time!

I have no regrets about playing Consent of the Governed as my dodge followup into his Joker. It worked out poorly, but I find that you just need to lay some hands on her. Unfortunately, she was made of teflon and my hands slipped right off! Also, you criticized my Two Truths piles near the end of the game. The reason I separated the Queens was because they are good damage and I wanted to guarantee that I had one. I find that Setsuki players will deny Quince Queens if they can since they do good damage and she doesn’t have a lot of life. However, 7-attacking a 7-throw was delightful. As for the Flagstone Tax at the end, I think it was fine, but I should have played an attack. I didn’t quite think through it sufficiently. I don’t care what anyone says, I love Flagstone Tax and I will use it ALL THE TIME FOREVER. Teehee.

Thanks for casting, @mysticjuicer!

8 Likes