[Yomi Tournament] IYL 5

After all, @Leontes found a way to beat Geiger :wink:

10 Likes

snoc vs @MR75 Dreadlands R10

:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :grave: Get hit by TPOS, manage to overcome the defecit.
:setsuki: :pschip::psfist: :grave: Early throw game gets shut down by lots of red cards. Finally get to ~20hp vs ~11 with KD, with 59QA or something. Go for A to hedge for block damage, get blown up by silent TPOS.
:setsuki: :pschip::psfist: :grave: SILENT TPOS AGAIN AAAAA
:valerie: :pschip::psfist: :grave: I draw nothing, he draws all the face cards and aces. I’m 3-90 down, get a big 35 damage combo in for some aces, then die.

GGs! Would be really really easy to blame this on draws, but I definitely misplayed at least the end of G2 not going for Q. I figured enough Dragonhearts were in the discard for me to go for an attack but I didn’t expect the TPOS. Then after that I was kind of tilted. Did a better job of hanging on than I have in the past, but I think it still forced me into some bad decisions.

6 Likes

Indeed tonight I got much luck.

First of all, I was expecting (and fearing) your :gloria: !!

G1, after TPOS hit, I wasn’t able to touch you again, till my lost, and then G2 I went for really desperation move with TPOS on my KD, expecting your last Q, but, hey, mrs luck decided to help me!
G3, my first hand was really good: AA and Joker, then after few draws came out 3rd A and 7s: when I KD you, I knew from previous MM that you had no block and a Joker, so I decided to try TPOS (silent however :blush:), hoping no Gold Burst, and here, luck was agree again…
G4 surely is an example of good draws vs bad draws. I drew Qs and As (not forgetting some 7s, just to know you had no Joker, As, Qs) and for my playstyle they are providence.

GGs mate!
Good luck in the rest of the tourney!

4 Likes

Fivec 3-1 Niijima-san

Setsuki > Troq
Setsuki < Troq
Setsuki > Troq
Setsuki > Troq

I would be salty about the last game too, as I kept drawing Jokers and Q to make a crazy comeback happen, but I also got hit in the face with QQAA early in the game so I don’t feel bad about it.

Basically, I will never feel bad about beating Troq.

6 Likes

I am not salty at that game I am salty at Yomi: the game designed so just when you think you’re good it proves you’re not.

8 Likes

IYL Week 10
Dreadlands Division
Mystic Deadman vs. @Attilian

:chibigwen::psfist::pschip::chibizane:
:chibigwen::knockdown::knockdown::chibizane:
:chibigwen::pschip::psfist::chibizane:
:chibionimaru::pschip::psfist::chibizane:
:chibionimaru::psfist::pschip::chibizane:
:chibionimaru::pschip::psfist::chibilum:

Final Score:
MD 2-3 Attilian

Game 2 ended on a Q vs. Max Anarchy clash, resulting in an extra game. Not a bad performance on my part for not having played this game in 3 weeks.

GGs d00d, and good luck the rest of the way!

SHAMELESS SELF-SHILL TIME: Don’t forget to sign up for the best, most random tournament in the world: Lum’s Lucky Lottery!

7 Likes

Flagstone City

UtraLaw vs Hobusu

:chibionimaru::psfist::pschip::degrey: Match started with a few double blocks on both side with me unwilling to throw out an attack. Hobusu then threw into AA for first big damage. But came back by powering up for my own Aces and attached a bunch to make any face card combat win for me hit for big damage. Both side hit really hard and soon the match came down to him powering up for more Aces and me winning by catching a throw attempt.
:chibionimaru::psfist::pschip::degrey: Game two started mostly the same block/block on both sides. Seem like Hobusu had a weird starting hand. Soon had a hand that had some throws in it. And started to mix up my attacks was able to dodge two big attack and hit back with some Normal for damage. Drawing all my 7 throws also help and started throwing like a mad men catching a few Ace dodge along the way. Soon had a Big life lead but was almost hit by a close to 40 damage combo but joker it away. From there i had too much good option and ended the game.
:chibionimaru::pschip::psfist::degrey: The games up to this point had Hobusu playing his 4 ability with PCP as back up most of the time. But me playing attack into most of them :P. this game got hit by a few hidden PCP and was punish for attacking to let Hobusu gain alot health and hitting me back with some big Damage. Game ended when he threw me as i was fearing a K from his side.
:rook::pschip::psfist::degrey: My normal pick for Degrey was to challenge with my own Degrey but tonight was different something about Hobusu Degrey made me think no i want to play someone else. So i went with a old favorite and in my opinion a bad match up for Degrey in Rook. Started strong build up a hand while hitting him down to 55 health then hitting him with checkmate buster to get him down to 5 health but then could not seal the deal. Got hit my a raw bunk and then later was threw into 87J for his win.
:rook::psfist::pschip::degrey: liked how the match went even so i lost so stayed with Rook. this time around he threw into alot of my blocks and did not let me rock amour at all so many joker into my attack! But i was able to hit back by with my Ks whenever he try to attack with speedy attacks. Mid game got hit my a raw Q into AA with MHG damage which tie up the game. With him at 47 health i picked that time to power up for Checkmate buster again and got lucky with some duff on his throw turns. Then the match ended with me playing AA into a his Q to close out the set.

UtraLaw wins 3-2

GGS Hobusu every game was very tense, it was a first for me to play the Oni Degrey match on the Oni side felt very werid lol.

6 Likes

thehug0naut vs @Caralad in THE DREADLANDS

:argagarg::pschip::psfist::troq: Troq draws all the face cards, I play close to mono-attack and provide a face to put them in
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::troq: I build up a hand then return the favour, putting my K straight into his unleashed face beast
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::troq: I drew all my 5s and 6s this game, and promptly forced them into Troq. @Copper8642 was on the sidelines with his BAH GAW-ometer turned up to 11 :grin:
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::grave: I could tell he had gone a little on tilt at this point, and I drew into 2 jokers early which probably made it even more salty than it had to be. The backup HP meant I could play mostly super turtle mode early, with a switch into punch-bot when I wasn’t likely to eat 45 damage to the kisser. I blocked his TPoS then played out AA and face cards every time I could until he succumbed

thehug0naut wins 3-1

ggs @Caralad, you fought valiantly but my fish brought too many haymakers this day

7 Likes

Zejety’s :gwen: beats @tcby’s :jaina: 3-1.

:gwen::psfist::knockdown::jaina: I started out with a great hand (converted my first 2-attack into 2-3-4-5-AA) and rode a lot of combat wins to victory.
:gwen::knockdown::psfist::jaina: I got decimated in this one. Attacked into a lot of blocks early and gave tcby fuel for his superior late game. My desparation Dreadlands Portals didn’t hit either.
:gwen::psfist::knockdown::jaina: I took some early hits (tho not as badly as in round 2) and ended up in a similiar pickle: low on life, Qs and with many Embers in tcby’s discard pile. I think this one would have been checkmate if he had not played throws on his final two Unstable Powers turns. The first one got me (but I bursted for my life), but I saw no reason not to risk the J on the second one, and confirmed into 35 damage.
:gwen::psfist::knockdown::jaina: Not particularly remarkable. I won more combats than tcby. As I understand the MU, Jaina needs to make it into the lategame with several Embers in her discard and Aces in her hand. Having learned my lesson from the prior two games, I was saving a bunch of Qs, but we didn’t make it late enough into the game for them to come up. CLosed out the match with single A spam.

GGs!

3 Likes

Thelo :bbb: 3 - 0 :quince: flagrantangles
in Flagstone City

:bbb: > :quince:

Good games!

4 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @variable in Morningstar Sanctuary

:bbb: :pschip::psfist: :menelker:
:rook: :psfist::pschip: :menelker:
:rook: :psfist::pschip: :menelker:
:rook: :psfist::pschip: :geiger: :psgem:CHECKMATE BUSTER FINISH!:psgem:

Southpaw Hare 3 - 1 variable
Southpaw Hare wins!

I haven’t confirmed any of the math people were talking about, so I’m curious as to whether this gets me into the second phase. I look forward to someone letting me know!

9 Likes

I probably should have mentioned, in my usual style, that the final round was a CHECKMATE BUSTER FINISH! This has been rectified.

3 Likes

In Geiger’s face no less, truly the sweetest of busters

3 Likes

morningstar sanctuary

mysticjuicer 3 - 2 Phrawger

:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :midori:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :midori:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:

ggs Phrawger! really felt like I was going to take the 0-3 on this one, and then managed to get some extremely lucky reveals.

7 Likes

CKR over @scymrian 3-0

All :zane: vs :onimaru:

ggs.

4 Likes

Yay, ty CKR. 2nd!

2 Likes

Damn it. If only I would have known then what I know now, I would of thrown that match. Congrats Fluffy and congrats to mysticjuicer for going undefeated.

Awhile back, I remember reading basketball related articles about Kobe Bryant. People were asking the question, “Does clutch play really exist?” The conclusion was no.

You may be asking, “What is the point?” Mysticjuicer finished 11-0. Five times he went to game 5 and 5 times he was clutch. I think I might have an award winning article series to write about this new discovery. If you still have any doubt, the last game 5 he won with Oni vs Arg. I rest my case.

I believe this is the final order for Morningstar Sanctuary.

1. mysticjuicer - Dominant performance.
  2. Fluffiness - Rockin SS Grand Finals and a solid IYL showing.
  3. Southpaw Hare - Fantastic end to the season.
  4. CKR - I was 3-4 and made it here with a 4 game win streak.
  5. Scymrian - He was a contender for the 2nd place spot until the very end.

I would also like to mention the turning point of my season. [quote=“CKR, post:338, topic:2639”]
CKR over @pengwndude 3-2

All :zane:vs :chibitroq:

For this match I decided f*** the carousel. I’m playing this thing out. I think I am going to have to start thinking about my opponents again because there are a lot more people counterpicking.
[/quote]

This was the point where I left the carousel. I went through Troq, Onimaru, and Rook to get here. It does feel really good to have a winning record in all of Zane’s bad matchups. I still might get pissed again and jump back on the carousel, but for now I will bask in my usually temporary Yomi glory.

7 Likes

Pandaland
sharpobject 3-0 @Twenty-Seven
:gloria::psfist::pschip::menelker:

Good games!

The set felt pretty close. Gloria is always in danger of losing against characters that can deal so much damage, and game 3 was really down to the wire.

In game 2 I made a pretty big error where I went down to 2 top-decked cards and I needed them to be non-hearts to keep up my 3 healing spheres. I could have made a similar play that didn’t rely on top-decking any non-hearts cards. At this point I hadn’t drawn very many hearts, so it was especially bad to do this. I got lucky though, so it worked out anyway!

4 Likes

International Yomi League, Week 11
Dreadlands Division

Mystic Deadman vs. @Ivan

:chibizane::psfist::pschip::chibigrave:
:chibizane::psfist::pschip::chibivalerie:
:chibizane::pschip::psfist::chibivalerie:
:chibilum::psfist::pschip::chibivalerie:

Final Score:

MD 3-1 Ivan

Went 2-for-2 with Max Anarchy, including one that ended Game 1. Game 3 went better in Ivan’s favor, as I had a really hard time finding blocks for most of it. Game 4 2as a near perfect, but a J-5 clash (5 was backed by 2 Bursts of Speed) put an early end to that. I got lucky in that game, as he couldn’t find any of his Aces, which let me bully him with K for quite a while. He also got lucky that I couldn’t find any of my Ts, which helped him live as long as he could without being able to shove me off of him.

GGs d00d, and good luck the rest of the season!

5 Likes

So, this seems to be exactly what happened. The three of us have exactly equal statistics (except for the total round wins at the far right), including tie-breakers, and each of us beat one of the others and lost to the third in a circular pattern. So what is the tie-breaker-tie-breaker?

Should we all just fight each other in another Round Robin or something, since there was going to be fighting involved for a final spot anyway?

1 Like