[Yomi Tournament] IYL 5 - Starting June 4! - Signups close Friday 6/2

Oh yes, that’s a good point.
In order to sort people into reasonable divisions, a time zone is not enough; it’s better to get a preferred block of roughly four hours in which people are usually free to schedule matches.
This will make sorting the divisions… Well, not easier, but slightly closer to helping people schedule matches.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s an excellent point. Folks who have signed up so far, can you post the 4 hour block (UTC) that works the best for you? For instance, my most likely slot is 9pm - 1pm EDT, which comes out to 0100 - 0500 UTC, per https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/.

I also wanted to highlight a potentially controversial rule change that I added on top of the IYL4 rules. My goal was to make it more attractive to stick around even if you have a relatively low record in the round-robin stage, because you might still make it into the final tournament.

So, should we keep the new rule?

• No, IYL4 worked well, stick with that!
  • Yes, let’s try it!
  • I have another suggestion…
0 voters
1 Like

Best times are 7pm to 9pm during the week Eastern.

I feel like if you’re dropping out because you’ve got a bad record and you’re not having fun than “giving you the opportunity” to get bodied by the best players in your division is probably not an incentive?

2 Likes

Hah! Yeah, that’s a fair point.

1 Like

I feel similarly to @mysticjuicer. It seems like either the wild card wins against someone in play offs, which would feel bad that a player with a better W/L gets knocked out by someone who randomly made the cut

or

The wild card simply gets eliminated the first round, making it more of a formality than a real shot at winning.

Best time slot would be 19:00-23:00 UTC

I appreciate the goal but I am very much against the idea of people getting into play-offs through anything that is literally random, having the RNG be weighted on win-rate doesn’t solve that problem for me.

Imagine how terrible it would feel to be the 4th or 5th place in your division, having to work your ass off through 2 more hard fought matches to scrape your way into play-offs through your on dedication just to be put out first round by someone who got to the same place as you through dumb luck.

3 Likes

Kinda feels like a participation trophy. Don’t like it.

Also the bracketing for having 3 people without byes coming through for every 1 person with a bye is horrific, I’m unclear if it’s even possible for that to work

Welp, that was a pretty responding no from all quarters, so I’ll strike that rule once I get back to something with a proper keyboard.

UTC is GMT, right?
In that case, my preferred block is 6-10 PM

1 Like

Central European time from 18-24 ish ^^

I’ll have to look over the rules later but for now,

I’m in! :bbb: :chibibbb: :heart:

2 Likes

I’m in! I’m in EDT and usually available to play at night around like 10pm to 5am.

3 Likes

Put me in, coach.

4 Likes

UTC is +/-0 year round. That’s important because occasionally GMT goes on daylight saving.
So yes, coordinating in UTC is preferable.

Well, technically, GMT and UTC are the same. In the UK, when we’re on daylight savings time (such as at the moment) we’re on BST (British Summer Time), not GMT. However, some Brits (and maybe people from other countries where GMT is their ‘normal’ time zone and who also use daylight saving) mistakenly think that we’re on GMT year round.

3 Likes

Well then
my preferred block is UTC 19-23 (CEST 21-01) or UTC 20-24 (when CET 21-01 :grin:)
this block is good almost everyday; saturday and sunday I could be in also at UTC 06-10 and UTC 12-16.
So many times to beat me!

1 Like

1800-2200 UTC preferred for me

2 Likes

Preferred time is 2300-0300 UTC although can play as early as 1600 UTC as schedule permits. However can’t crack open a can of liquid courage, otherwise known as Labatt Blue, until Beer30.

2 Likes