[Yomi Tournament] 19XX: Waifu 2 - BD_Corro is CHAMPION!

Sorry to hear, but totally understand.

2 Likes

Is there still time to enter? If yes, let’s try this, in.

3 Likes

Absolutely!

I’m kind of new to the game, but count me IN!

7 Likes

IN

“And when I’m swept into office, I’ll sell our children’s organs to zoos for meat, and I’ll go into people’s houses at night and wreck up the place!”

– Richard Nixon

2 Likes

Long live the low tiers!!

Death to Zane!!!

Barbecue Troq!!

4 Likes

As the man with the highest win rate on Zane last year, I find this offensive.

I would like to enter the tourney please. Thanks for organizing this!

2 Likes

It’s awesome seeing the new player sign-ups! Welcome to online Yomi, folks! I hope you all catch the Yomi bug! :slight_smile:

I’m going to close sign-ups on February 4th when I get back from lunch with a friend, just so I can set challonge up and get the conversations drafted and set up. If we somehow manage to make it to 32 sign-ups, I’m going to cap it there, in the interests of having a perfectly balanced bracket.

In the far more likely event that we don’t make it to 32, byes will be randomly determined when I create the bracket in challenge.

3 Likes

In.

My favourite meta returns! :heart:

1 Like

Why are those 4 characters banned?

1 Like

They are pretty meta-defining in the “normal” tournaments.
This one tries to shake things up and put the spot light on different match ups.

3 Likes

In a shocking display of consensus pretty much everyone agrees they are generally overtuned compared to the remainder of the cast

i fixed that for ya!

I decided to put together a banned character format because I was casting a lot of games and found that a massive percentage of the matches I was watching or playing in featured one of these four characters, and a pretty significant number featured two of the four facing off against each other (Troq/Zane/Geiger). I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of meta developed in a world where the most popular characters couldn’t be played.

The first event showed that Setsuki and Argagarg were really popular in this new world. My theory crafting says that if that’s true, then Gloria should also be a strong player in the 19XX meta, but people who play Gloria in tournaments tend to main her, rather than playing a variety of characters and then also Gloria. I’m interested to see how the character picks shake out compared to the first event!

3 Likes

Thats cool. I was afraid they were as illegal as street fighter 2 Akuma.
I dont know much about the yomi tournament scene so not sure what you mean by 19XX meta.
I watched some yomi vids in the past few months and I did notice Geiger was everywhere. I saw him deal MASSIVE damage. Glad he is out :joy:
My experience witg degrey is against my nephew who would beat me with that cheap ace dodge into full combo. Looks like he IS a strong and easy characters.

2 Likes

Haha, nono! They’re not busted. They’re just “better than the rest” by enough of a margin that they have a big effect on the standard tournament meta (i.e. tournaments where you do a double-blind pick, and then the loser of any given game gets to select a different character if they want). All of them can be counter-picked by specific characters, but they all have a generally advantageous spread of match-ups compared to the rest of the cast.

The ‘19XX meta’ is just ‘the character selection meta-game that exists in the 19XX format.’ So the ‘standard tournament meta’ revolves around Troq/Zane/Geiger/DeGrey and the characters that counterpick them, while the ‘19XX meta’ seems to revolve around Argagarg/Setsuki and the characters that counterpick them. I say “seems” because there’s only been one tournament played in this format, so the consensus isn’t settled at this point. I don’t think anyone would disagree that Argagard and Setsuki play extremely important roles in it though.

I think it’s worth saying that there’s a difference between “characters I hate playing against” and “characters that are very strong.” There’s a couple of characters I dislike playing against, and none of them are in the list of banned characters. I generally find playing as or against the top tiers enjoyable - I’d just also like to see more character variety, and this tournament is a way that I can make that happen.

1 Like

Is it possible I can get in last minute?

1 Like

Heck yeah!

I just noticed this because it wasn’t cross-posted. Can I join?

1 Like