Okay this is a preliminary look at what I would like Gwen to look like.
Innate (X): At the end of a combat when you hit the opponent, draw two cards.
Innate (Shadow Plague): At the end of the turn, if you did not hit the opponent this turn, take three damage.
Normal Attacks: x.0 speed
Normal Throws: x.6 speed, 6 damage, 3cp Starter
J* (Chains of Ice) - 3.6 speed, 8+6(6) damage, +1 face, 2cp Starter
J* (X of Ice) - 11.0 speed Throw, 6 damage, 2cp Starter
Q (Shadow Slice) - 0.0 speed, 6+4(1) damage, +1 any, 3cp Ender
Q (X) - 4.0 speed, 6(1) damage, 1cp Linker
K (Burnbarrow) - 1.2 speed, 5+4(3) damage, +2 any, 2cp Linker
A (Dashgorger) - 1.2 speed, 10(2) damage, 2cp Ender
AA (Dreadlands Portal) - 7.8 speed Throw, 15 damage, 3cp Starter
7* (X) - [During Combat] If your non-Ender attack is blocked by a normal block during combat, you may discard this card. Throw the opponent with this card and end combat. (They take six damage and are knocked down. They discard their combat card and do not draw a card from blocking.)
T* (Gloria’s Remedy) - [During Combat] When you block an attack or Joker with this card, take no block damage, discard this card, and don’t draw a card from blocking. Gain 8 life.
J* (Chillbane) - [During Combat] Whenever you hit with either side of this card, the opponent is frozen (they skip all decisions and cannot activate any abilities they would make for the rest of the turn.) Next turn, their attacks and throws are 2 speed slower.
Goals of the design:
- Make her dodges stronger. Now that she draws two cards off of her dodges, even though her damage output is slightly weakened off of them without triple-Ace Dreadlands Portal. If we make her dodges stronger, reversals will be easier for her to deal with. (Also blocking is lame.)
- Give her scarier throws. Now that she is slightly faster with her normal throws, and has the ability to both freeze the opponent with J-throw and deal great damage with a well-timed AA-throw, Gwen’s opponents will not want to attempt to go block/dodge with her, because she can punish with throws and refuel after. Furthermore, I want to incentivize Gwen’s opponent to attack more, which gives her more counterplay with her improved dodge.
- Don’t have her fallback on some lame mixup when she is about to die. When Gwen players are close to death, their options are severely limited as to what cards she can play. With Shadow Plague only triggering if Gwen is unable to hit the opponent, this makes the endgame where she is about to die much more interesting than just spamming T-block or going for Dreadlands Portal/dodge mix-ups.
- Actually feel like you can rushdown the opponent. Now that you draw more cards if you win combat, you don’t have to feel like you are going to run out of fuel, and you can keep pressing the advantage.
- Most importantly, I want to make a more Yomi-focused rushdown character. Gwen’s options are pretty good, but they’re not the most dominant options in the game. However, if she continues to chip away at the opponent, she is rewarded with insane card draw and not-dying. She also does have some very good damage.