Yomi-O's now with 200% more fireballs (v3 wishlist)

Anyone up for some games at 7pm Eastern tonight?

3 Likes

That’s about 1AM over here, but if I’m still awake by then… sure!

I’ve actually changed my opinion on the Bag of Tricks to 8 change. Before I joked about not wanting it because it would ruin the great Japanese translation (since the number 7 gets used in the Japanese name for Bag of Tricks). Now I think there’s a bigger reason to keep it on 7, which is that having the ability and the fastest throw tied to each other leads to her not functionally having more than the normal number of uses for 7-throw.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Setsuki player grab more than one 7 using Bag of Tricks. Why exactly that is isn’t as important as noting that players already are limiting themselves to only one copy of it per retrieval, which means that they’re trading the 7 in their hand for one in the discard. Because of this, every time a player uses 7 to throw they’re putting it in the discard “permanently,” since the cost to get it back out is another 7 (so the same number of 7s remain in the discard). Basically, it’s already fine because the opportunity cost of using the 7 as a throw is that you lose access to a Bag of Tricks with it unless you take multiple, and no one does. Moving it to 8 wouldn’t actually fix anything imo, since if you want to get your fastest throw and use it over Bag of Tricks you’ll just get the 7 and throw with it either way, and the rest of the game your fastest throw no longer has that opportunity cost of losing Bag of Tricks.

2 Likes

Good thinking. (This is why I am having second thoughts about being so active in this conversation.)

1 Like

While I’m thinking of it, here’s an interesting article about hacking games. It was written with role-playing games like D&D in mind, and I don’t agree with everything he says, but he makes some good points about the dangers of tampering with an existing game and gives a good approach for doing so.

Absolutely! I’ve made a poll in the Bureau of Balance to make it easier to see which characters are being tested by whom so that arranging for specific matchup tests can be done without having to ask “who’s playing as Lum again?” So everyone who has expressed interest in helping to test these ideas, please vote! I would encourage everyone to mostly stick with their mains or other characters that they’re fairly familiar with; it’s fine if you want to do more than that, but having the most experienced players of two characters play against each other will probably be more useful than if one or both aren’t quite as skilled with their character.

also mj if you don’t vote rook the entire community will disown you

Yup, already added my vote. :slight_smile:

And, sorry, just to mention re: the possible Geiger change to TD throws - I don’t see how new Troq doesn’t win that MU, if that’s the change. It’s already a faaaairly close MU right now, just because Geiger’s harder to play than Troq, and none of the proposed Troq nerfs do anything to truly change the nature of the MU from his side, imo.

Yours isn’t showing on my end, and I can see @ArthurWynne’s votes…

I voted before I saw your post, so I read it as “which characters would you be willing to test”, and I voted for every character I don’t feel completely clueless about and/or actually dislike playing.

I’m not claiming to be an expert on 75% of the cast!

1 Like

Yeah, seeing your votes was what made me go “oh no, that was poorly worded…” :laughing:

The good news is that you can change your vote if you want, so you can narrow it down to just a few (or add the ones you’re missing and just test everyone, lol).

Weird. Fixed (hopefully)!

1 Like

Vote now a bit more representative of the characters I usually play.

1 Like

Is Geiger being worse against Troq than he is now inherently bad? I’m not saying it isn’t, but you said it like it’s something that should be avoided and I’m not sure why.

No, it’s not inherently bad, I just hoped it would illustrate the severity of the change. A lot of people in the thread seem to think it’s not that big a deal, and I don’t really understand that attitude. I guess I hoped people’s wish to see Troq taken down a peg (or at least not buffed!) would get me some extra convincing points. :smile:

I realized while I was in the shower that you probably voted just as I was realizing that the poll I had made was set to keep votes private instead of public, which defeated the point, and since I (and you?) had already voted it couldn’t be changed. So I had to make a completely new post instead, and thus your votes were lost (if my theory is correct).

1 Like

Like, Geiger hasn’t won anything in a while and that’s a more severe nerf than anyone is discussing for Troq. So I’m just a little baffled.

1 Like

I love that even with your votes adjusted, we still have 40 total votes across 5 voters so far!

Variety is the spice of life… and Yomi.

2 Likes

I mean I am legit good with every character. I only disincluded Quince from my list because I don’t consider myself fully based in using him (even though I’m pretty good with him too).

1 Like

Oh, I’m not saying it’s a good change or that Geiger needs it, I’m saying it’s a BETTER change than removing +1 damage on TD.