[Yomi] Forums Quick Matches - Sign Ups Always Open!

Hobusu vs @Journeyboy:

:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey:

Final score: Hobusu 3 — Journeyboy 0
Hobusu wins!

We double-blinded into the mirror and he decided it was fun enough to do twice more! The first two games were close, with the second in particular being a comeback from single-digit HP. All three games I played at lower hand size than I almost ever play DeGrey, and I now see why people do play him low hand—I won mainly because my combos were so much more damage efficient than his. I’m not sure whether it was the first game or the second that he played two Gold Bursts in a row, both of which I normal dodged into Pilebunker, but I do remember that the second game had me go into topdeck mode… Which ended when I got a single Ace with no other cards in hand. He could’ve attacked that turn and nothing would’ve happened! :sweat_smile:

Good games, and I’m looking forward to our next match!

4 Likes

@flagrantangles it has just came to my attention that your name probably should be read as “Flagrant Angles”. I have always been reading it as “Flag Ran Tangles”. This brought to mind those long ropes with little multicoloured triangle flags that has been all jumbled up.

4 Likes

@Ivan wins 3-2 versus me, flagrantangles!
:quince::psfist::pschip::degrey: As I’ve said many times before, I don’t feel uncomfortable in this MU. Overall, I felt pretty in control and very much attuned to the rhythms of what Ivan wanted to do. There was a point where he called TR on attacks and I was CONFIDENT he was going to play PCP. I dodged any way hoping I could bluff my way out of a suspected Final Arbiter. It didn’t work. At this point he takes the life lead but I’m not worried since I’ve got Consent in hand. I feel another PCP or at least a throw coming and 5-attack but get undercut by a 3 that goes nowhere. After that I throw, sensing a dodge. I undercut another throw and then spin a King. I tax attacks and play the King dodge side first to catch some shenanigans. He blocks. I combo into 5J leaving him at a convenient 27 HP. I spin a J and tax attacks again. This time I play a throw. He bluffs successfully. I spin the J again and play it honestly. He blocks again. After that, I’m CONFIDENT a King is coming so I dodge and with no FD, I combo into Consent of the Governed for lethal.
:quince::psfist::pschip::jaina: I lead with a feisty 3 poke since I think a J is coming. I punch out a throw and get the washing machine started. I spin Queen, tax attacks, and then play honestly. He dodges and takes some DAMAGE. I spin a J and then throw. He hits me with the K and gets some decent damage. Now we’re both living on modest hand sizes. Well, until 2 Truths delivers me from evil and fire. We block for a bit before I finally throw. I spin J and he attacks into it with his trusty K before playing a joker FD. I attack into it like a fool. I power up for CotG. He plays a fast attack while knocked down and I block it, picking up some TASTY CARDS. I power up for the 3rd ace because I want to threaten the full fantasy. He does an Unstable Power with a 2 and I dodge it. Eventually, I throw my way in again and spin a K. I play the BONK and since he doesn’t FD, combo into 6J for lethal exactsies. FEELS GOOD.
:quince::pschip::psfist::jaina: Now things start to go downhill. Ivan immediately changes how he’s been playing and I don’t adjust quickly enough. This game is relatively close, but I throw too much and he attacks me IN THE FACE. He gets me down pretty early but my nonstop throwing cannot be dissuaded and I combo into Q++ to even things back up. I spin a J and then he plays unstable power. After he does that, I tax attacks because free cards are the best cards. If I wanted to think through that more cleanly, I ought to have just blocked, but, alas. He plays the 2, I rotate the honest jack, he takes 7 damage and now he’s out of spin. I dodge for a bit and things are gettin’ hot under my toes. I try to throw because I’m relentless like that. Dragonheart refuses hugs. I throw again and catch a block. He faces down a card and I respect it, like a dummy. I spin a K and tax attacks. I play honestly and he attacks. I’m feeling good. I play into his FD but it’s a joker this time. My poor Ace is lost to the ether. He powers up for an Ace so now I have to be worried since it’s SO FAST. I decide to respect it and GET THROWN. He respects my bluff so I’m feeling okay. I tax attacks and he TOTALLY ATTACKS. My ace is not as good as his ace, turns out. I thought he had another ace for I FD my joker. He doesn’t follow up and now I’m at 1 life. He buys back his Ace for the checkmate since my other joker had been milled via 2 Truths.
:quince::pschip::psfist::jaina: I play reckless and loose in this one. I start attacking way too much. I recognize that I need to change, but I haven’t adjusted correctly. It’s like I’ve erased all my knowledge and now I’m starting over through exploration and error. I basically get completely walloped. I start to kinda get into my own groove near the end but it’s too little too late. I’m too off-kilter and uncertain so eventually I just get thrown and then defeated by my own flagrant behavior: playing Patriot Mirror while knocked down against a Jaina that I know has at least one Ace.
:quince::pschip::psfist::jaina: I’m starting to refigure out what to do in light of Ivan’s change. This one started out a bit worse for me, but I was able to keep things mostly even. I go back to pressuring with throws but am actively trying to dodge more often to punish the attacks more thoroughly. However, I start getting counter thrown more often. Things are really starting to…heat up (this pun is JUST FOR ME, okay?). He’s been pressuring me with K’s so I just play Consent of the Governed on wakeup. I had the final Ace but I decide not to play it into the FD. It was just a bluff, but I figure having PM around is just good sense. I spin a K and tax throws thinking he definitely has one to beat me. I play the K honestly and he attacks into it. He plays his joker and I don’t follow up for once. I, once again, try to dodge, but he throws me! RUDENESS. I tax attacks while knocked down to try and get the MINDGAMES going. I then attack with a 6 fully expecting a throw. I was correct and then I combo into Q++. Things are going well for me. I have hidden CotG in hand and I drew a J off normal draw so I have another spin. I play the J honestly and he blocks. I take the chip because I drew a K and then I spin that. The timer has worn down due to conversation and then I decide that I should play Consent of the Governed to beat the throw that beats my K because I only have 3 cards in hand so he’s definitely gonna play the throw. Unfortunately, I get hit by 3 aces. I now have a 4, 7, and K in hand and whoever wins the next combat, will win. I figure it’s too obvious that I will dodge and I’m still stuck on believing he has the throw. I decide to throw with my 7 to undercut him. He just plays the Ace he bought back and I die. OOPS. I overthought and then fell down. That’s the way of bureaucracy, I guess.

GGs Ivan! It was a good set!

6 Likes

I thought the name was “Flag Rectangles” for the longest time.

2 Likes

Hey @vengefulpickle, I’ll sit out next week too as I’m going to be holidaying in Tenerife. I’ll be back for the round starting week of the 21st though!

Okey doke.

I guess I forgot to post this.
Shax vs @ArthurWynne

TLDR

3-2 Shax wins!

Game 1

:valerie::psfist::pschip::argagarg: The devil fish makes an appearance! First combat reveals a bubble shield and I proceed to draw nothing but face cards and 10* for most of the game. So I played a 10, and then burst that 10 with two more tens to out speed a 7. Arthur may not have drawn his counter, but he did have jokers for when I tried to offload my damage. I do gain a life lead and finish it off with Splash of Color crossing up Bubble Shield.

Game 2

:valerie::psfist::pschip::grave: So this was back and forth until the end bits. Early on he Jokers two big combos so my endgame damage was kinda spaghetti combos. So there he is with known TPotS and I start to blatantly disrespecting it only to be undercut by Q every single time! I ate 3 Qs this way for almost as much damage as TPotS anyways sigh. I’m mostly getting dodge combos to bring the hp back to equal. Things get really close with the key moments being: Ace transfer with gold burst vs TPotS, blocking the final Q at 12 hp, and blocking the second TPotS right at the end. Close game

Game 3

:valerie::pschip::psfist::grave: Kinda back and forth in the early game with jokers once again being a pain. The key difference here is I don’t win nearly as many combats later on and just end up dead. Arthur takes this with a firm 30+ health left.

Game 4

:argagarg::pschip::psfist::grave: So I was inspired by Game 1 and all the times I heard people complain about this MU (even if it wasn’t all that bad) and try the fish. I’ve already said most of the games were “back and forth”, but in this one we almost took turns hitting each other. I almost get a clutch 1hp win but I unfortunately went dodge/dodge with my only dodge making his followup Q checkmate.

Game 5

:argagarg::psfist::pschip::grave: I felt much more confidant in this MU now despite the loss and decided to stay. Oh boy oh boy was that a good idea. First turn bubble shield, power up for another ace, turn two bubble shield. Two shields attached and a gold burst for more aces. Poke his throw with aces. He finally gets out at 39 hp then Arthured me. It almost all my games with him he always has this point in the game where he just starts vortexing me and I have to scramble to get my feet again. He brings me down to 43 hp while only getting down to 29 himself. At this point he has aces so it’s anyones game. Then I block TPotS and get to breathe again. I end it with a faster throw.

Respect and GG!

6 Likes

FaceOnMars vs @MR75

:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :quince:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :quince:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:

The secret to beating Quince is get a 50+ life lead before you get caught up in the vortex. It made the endgames so close and exciting. I feel a little more manly today.

Thanks to @variable for punishing me regularly with this matchup.

5 Likes

It was indeed a hella fun!

And I also broke @flagrantangles 's heart by dodging with Two Truths! :blush::rofl:

Last game MHG overpunished my too conservative start, but I’m almost exhausted since I had to try huge comeback every game!

Great games, mate!
Next time I’ll wear with my great suit and shoes!

6 Likes

Hi everyone! Can I sign up for some fights? I’m loving the game and the community, so I figured I’d join in.

5 Likes

Yup, I’ll add you for this week. You’re in luck, I haven’t scheduled the matches yet.

1 Like

Week 12 standings

Silver League (10+ :star:)

Player Points Active
Niijima-san :star::star::star::star: :psfist:
flagrantangles :star::star::star::star: :psfist:
JonnyD :psfist:

SuperBronze League (5+ :star:)

Player Points Active
Zqxx :star::star::star::star: :knockdown:
Ivan :star::star: :psfist:
snoc :star: :knockdown:
TokH :psfist:

Bronze League (0+ :star:)

Player Points Active
FaceOnMars :star::star::star: :psfist:
Shax :star::star::star: :psfist:
Caralad :star: :psfist:
Hobusu :star: :psfist:
LizardLinc :star: :psfist:
Castanietzsche :star: :knockdown:
ArthurWynne :psfist:
Journeyboy :psfist:
MR75 :psfist:
NobodysHero :psfist:
Oddus :psfist:
Xiba :psfist:
Attilian :knockdown:
FenixOfTheAshes :knockdown:
thehug0naut :knockdown:
variable :knockdown:
vengefulpickle :knockdown:

Week 12 matches

Oddus/ArthurWynne
Oddus ───────┐
             ┢━ ArthurWynne
ArthurWynne ━┛
LizardLinc/FaceOnMars
LizardLinc ━━━━━┓
                ┡━ LizardLinc ━┓
vengefulpickle ─┘              ┃
                               ┡━ LizardLinc
FaceOnMars ━━━━━┓              │
                ┡━ FaceOnMars ─┘
MR75 ───────────┘
Journeyboy/Ivan
Journeyboy ━┓
            ┡━ Journeyboy
Ivan ───────┘
Xiba/NobodysHero
Xiba ────────┐
             ┢━ NobodysHero
NobodysHero ━┛
Shax/JonnyD
Shax ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
                                ┡━ Shax ─┐
vengefulpickle ─┐               │        │
                ┢━ ArthurWynne ─┘        │
ArthurWynne ━━━━┛                        │
                                         ┢━ JonnyD
NobodysHero ───────────────┐             ┃
                           ┢━ JonnyD ━━━━┛
thehug0naut ────┐          ┃
                ┢━ JonnyD ━┛
JonnyD ━━━━━━━━━┛
Caralad/Hobusu
Xiba ───────┐
            ┢━ Caralad ━┓
Caralad ━━━━┛           ┃
                        ┡━ Caralad
Journeyboy ─┐           │
            ┢━ Hobusu ──┘
Hobusu ━━━━━┛
TokH/flagrantangles
TokH ───────────┐
                ┢━ flagrantangles
flagrantangles ━┛
Niijima-san/MR75
Niijima-san ─┐
             ├─
MR75 ────────┘
2 Likes

That was a trip.

Arthur Wynne vs Oddus

:grave: :knockdown: :psfist: :setsuki: A New Challenger Appears! And he has moves! The game was good and even, lots of back and forth, but I lose by taking lots of damage in the early game, then being too chicken and attacking too much in the late game.

:grave: :psfist: :knockdown: :setsuki: It’s not like I have a better counterpick than Grave though, and this time things go better - to a point. I get in some early damage, but Oddus gets me down to low life and low hand -however he’s also at 33, and I manage to assemble TPoS, dodge and call a bluff. That’s all the comeback you need, when you’re Grave!

:grave: :knockdown: :psfist: :midori: Oddus’ blocking game is on point, and in this game he runs rings around me.

:persephone: :psfist: :knockdown: :midori: Midori doesn’t know the safeword though - I deprive him of throws from the start (throwing with a 2 turn one was a big tell, Oddus!) and have the good fortune to poke out the few that slip through my web. Then slowly grind out the win like Perse does.

:persephone: :psfist: :knockdown: :setsuki: This game was wild. I have lots of 10s to get an idea of what’s going on over there, but Oddus has 10s of his own to make me work for it! We trade about evenly in the early game, but I don’t draw as many throws as I need and after I spend both my Jokers, a few Setsuki-combos give him a significant lifelead. I mill a ton of cards and have good intelligence for my valuation, but by the time I manage to build up the hand I need and would otherwise start feeling comfortable, we’re at 5 vs 33! Not ideal, to say the least. By then though, I’ve managed to mill enough cards to get both the dominant throw and dominant attack -although Setsuki’s mixup is still scary.

I King throw a dodge - she facedowns, and I respect it, because one joker is still on the loose.

AA is completely safe, but loses so hard to block the way my hand looks by now that I don’t dare to play it - instead I 2 attack to beat expected odd block/throw, but only after so much deliberation that my actions are in constant danger of timing out.

Beat a higher normal, an attempted duff, and combo into 3AA, we’re now at 5 vs 4! I retrieve a 10 with Dominance but Setsuki powers up for aces. However, I draw a second 10 and Setsuki only has 5 cards left in her deck… I play both 10s, hoping it will work the way I think it does - and breathe a huge sigh of relief as Setsuki immediately loses on time.

Whoa.

Final result, 3-2 to Arthur Wynne. Thanks to Oddus for a great set!

10 Likes

Wow, what a great report, the games were every bit as exciting as Arthur describes them and then some! I was kinda disappointed first at the running-out-of-cards loss in game 5, but learning that “most life wins” made it look just like timing out in real fighting games, so I’m cool with that.
Just to add to everything said above - wow, does Persephone squeeze the life out of you =) Once she starts working on your soul it’s not long before you start overthinking and doublethinking yourself. Not to mention how Setsuki loves getting random awkward normals off the top of the deck, courtesy of Persephone. Kinda reminds me of Quince in a way, and that I need to get more practice against both of those tricksters!

10 Likes

FaceOnMars vs @LizardLinc

:vendetta: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:
:vendetta: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie:

There’s some new players around here right now but don’t be fooled. They are all savants. WP. Very fun set. I wanted to show off my gold Ven cards but unfortunately he wasn’t distracted by all the bling. And I was beerless.

Welcome to the community.

8 Likes

NobodysHero wins 3-0 against Xiba.

Games 1 and 2 were Rook vs Setsuki. Kings and AA are pretty good. Third game was Rook vs DeGrey. Got my K pilebunkered first turn. Came down to last hits and I got lucky with an AA.

3 Likes

Here’s the detail.
@Xiba vs @NobodysHero
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:I got eraly damage with big combo and get sof the first turn. But I didn’t govern my hand well so that my hand liked trash. And NobodysHero mixed his throw and block 3 to get me down.
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:Setsuki again but this time got TWO JOKERS turn one - a bit sad. He won by using two block 3 and one K and it hurts me. Although later I dodged his attack and return As as a gift and let his hp low, the final turn I guessed he might use block 3 or block 5 to turn the game around but he just show his attack 8! Tricky!
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:round 3 I chose Degrey to kill the Rook and it actually worked to some extent. My Q counter his K and did 31 damage. And again As counter his K and dealt 26 damage. In the late game, my As got caught by his block 5 and I lost 20hp. This make me mad!!! Luckily, I got his As with my faster K and dealt 16 damage but I hadn’t expect ever that he had another two As in his hand! So next turn I was lost with his As.

Ggs. Congratulations and good luck next game! (I think that setsuki vs rook is a hard match for setsuki. Anyway practice more and think more)

6 Likes

Caralad vs @Hobusu

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey: - Start off strong with a K into Q establishing an early lead. Then I ease off the gas, with a few block/block turns, before throwing out a silent AA…into a block. Hobusu is shocked at the fact that good move, in fact was not good? Attempt to follow up a normal throw with a cross up 8, but get hit with a King to the face for my greed. We return to block city, finally getting our first Giant Growth attach, then just play some fairly save stuff with fast J. At this point, both our hands are pretty full with 10 for me, and 12 for Hobusu. Hobusu goes for the raw Bunk, straight into a block, letting me attach the second block. Sadly with AA in the discard, my dodge follow up can only really be a K, followed up next turn by yet another K, catching his A dodge and bringing him to 24. I sniff out the 7 and hit it with a 5 attack, into slow J. The life lead at this point is pretty solid, and even after a 7 into AA from Hobusu, I’ve still got more than enough to finish the job.
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :onimaru: - I start of brave with a normal throw, followed by an attempted cross up 4 which got blocked. However, I then lose my nerve, throwing some attacks into Hobusu’s blocks, and dodging when he was willing to keep blocking, allowing him to build up a big Oni hand. I then get punished for my first block with an 8 attack. Well, if things aren’t working, keep throwing! Catch an oni dodge with a K throw, but Hobusu catched my desperation 6 attack with a 5 of his own. I try to bait out a middling normal with a 3 block into 8 block, but instead bait out an 8 attack to crush me. 10 attack hits my throw, and I’m down to 34 hp, and in trouble. I finally get what i wanted, and punch out a 8 attack with my 4 into J, and then uphawk a 7 throw, bringing the HP to 34 vs 39. we go dodge/dodge and block/dodge a few turns, then hobusu finally reveals his first face card in combat, hitting my 5 with his Q. I block a J, and a small sliver of BU hope shines through. However, my next turn dodge is hit by the 10est of throws. I think, “well that’s likely his last throw in hand. I’ll just dodge”. Turns how he had a 7 throw waiting for lethal.
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru: And now for the reason I don’t play more Onimaru. This match was just brutal, although Hobusu and I kept the mood light with plenty of JUSTICE and TRUUUUTTH. I catch Oni with a couple of early throws, the second into a 6 and J for some MHG bonus. Then the soul crushing moment, of hitting a raw pilebunker into Hobusu’s 10 throw, and following up with AA for a grand total of 44 damage. Hobusu achieves the moral victory by hitting my 10 throw with a throw of his own, but 2 jab into J finishes the job
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki: yeaaaaah, this was pretty much the opposite of that last game. This time I’m the one getting the moral victory, as I’m tossed from pillar to post. Hobusu starts with almost the dream opening sets hand and hits a J, into 5 6 K++, pumping with a Q and 10. Yowza! (What I didn’t know, was he also had a joker in hand!) A gold burst to grab AA later, and I’m on the ropes. Degreys 7 protects me from the perfect, but it’s only a matter of time before i lost one more combat, and expire
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: An opening 22 damage throw combo from sets opens me up, but I hit the K to keep the life lead. I joker a q combo from a 4 card sets, mostly the draw new cards than prevent the damage. I get crossed up on a SotF turn, but I recognise that Sets hand must be awkward, as he only plays 3 into 4 and J. I punish sets with a throw into a high normal, and then another throw, where i let the FD go, revealing Hobusu’s Joker. My K throw finds a 6…block from setsuki. I lay of the gas, and am punished with a 7 throw, allowing him to escape the hand. Warstomp knocks down the sets, but he wakes up with a K throw. I figure blocking is the safe option here, as he likely has no throws. Can’t predict the topdeck throw though. Throw into straight grabs an ace from his deck, then warstomp takes that ace away. I throw his second K throw, hit the 8 normal for exact lethal.

GG’s Hobusu. This longer report was just for you.

6 Likes

Journeyboy vs Ivan
:gwen::pschip::psfist::lum:
:gwen::pschip::psfist::lum:
:degrey::psfist::pschip::lum:
:degrey::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:degrey::psfist::pschip::setsuki:

Ivan has a VERY effective Lum. I tried Gwen 2 times because I thought I would be able to over come Lum’s ability damage with a solid attack/throw mixup. But not only did I rarely win combat but when I did his buff/joker timings were perfect. I just got black jacked to death.

I was able to turn the set around with my Degrey and effective use of A’s/pilebunker. The last game, God must have been whispering in my ear because I had a very good round of winning combats.

7 Likes

Take me out for a bit please.