[XCAPS20] Map Tournament SIGNUPS

@zhavier I think you have the right pool of 4 maps to ban (and thus, 8 to play on). Those are the worst offenders that I recall

1 Like

Alright, we will go 8 maps, top post will be edited to reflect this. Please submit your codex choices by Mar 19, and we will try to have 1st round matches posted Mar 20. Standard tournament rules will apply. No adjustments needed for the addition of map cards, beyond reiterating that all players will be on the same map for each given round.

This tournament will possibly seem even less fair due to the favoritism some maps have for certain specs, but hopefully it will still be quite fun!

3 Likes

We’re signing up in this thread then? I am in

1 Like

… ehh why not, count me in. mono purple.

2 Likes

Deck sent over pm

1 Like

Mono Black

Pls, count me in.

1 Like

Also, could you announce order of maps at rounds, pls

2 Likes

I suppose it doesnt change much to say which map is in which round at the beginning of he tournament, but Not until deck choices are locked in and first round is announced.

3 Likes

There are good and really bad codexes for certain map. It’s not fun at all to start tournament from 0-0-2 because of maps order, that’s the idea behind my request.

Look I’m into it. I’m gonna craft a codex for this format

I’m sad that blood bowl isn’t in though

1 Like

But you can’t change Codexes after it starts, and Codex choices are made before the maps are revealed, so telling everyone the maps when the tournament starts doesn’t do anything to help the maps your Codex is bad on, unless you just mean that it would be nice to know ahead of time what weeks you’ll have bad matchups?

its creating a MTG-tournament bad situation from Sirlin’s papers - I’ve taken the anti-elves deck, but noone takes a elves deck. So i lost before tournament begins. Or i win, if many players have taken. Not fun at all. Compare with: everyone know, that there will be “anti-elves” map, than 4 maps that are good for “elves” - so everyone have a opportunity to pick codex, that will fell good first few games.

I think he’s asking for maps before choosing a codex, so he can focus on a deck that won’t get knocked out early due to being bad for the first few maps. EDIT: Ah, bolyarich just beat me to it.

2 Likes

Yeap, this is the thing

The idea of the format is to craft a codex you think will do well on all the 8 included maps. If I present an order ahead of time, then you would be encouraged to focus on a codex for the first maps over the last maps.

And if we have the reasonable situation of going more than 8 rounds, then we will have some repeat maps.

It is very likely that all 8 maps will be played, so making a codex good at the first 3 and bad at the rest doesnt actually help you win the tournament. Its not a “anti-elves” problem, because all 8 included maps will get played.

1 Like

Are we not using elimination, then?

#wellactually you should focus on the later maps, to have a deck advantage when you need it (against players who have been winning) instead of when you don’t (against the whole player base, on average)

2 Likes

I kinda see the point, that it feels bad to have the first 3 maps be bad for your codex, but you would still get eliminated if it was instead the 2nd, 4th, and 6th maps.

But the main point: you should be focusing on all 8 maps, not a subset of them.

1 Like

I agree, it’s not like this doesn’t already happen with matchups that are bad for you in the standard tournament.

2 Likes