[XCAFS20] Round5: charnel_mouse [Balance]/Blood/Strength vs zhavier [Balance/Feral]/Blood

P1T10

Starting hand: 3

Rich Earth
Playful Panda
Circle of Life

Thoughts

Awful hand, as expected. I think my best option here is to Circle in an Owl, so the Mimic can fly over to destroy Tech II. Either that, or I just maxband Midori. 5 gold to maxband, then Midori destroys the Heroes’ Hall, and zhavier’s stuck with Calamandra, so no Drakk/Midori aura on all those tokens. 6 gold left over to play a Panda, and Circle it into a Boulder, for maximum patrol health. Fingers crossed for no Behind the Ferns. zhavier can still get a Midori aura by running Cal into Potent Basilisk, so Boulder goes in front to minimise his remaining units when he can do that.

Teched cards: 0

T2: Rickety Mine, Tiny Basilisk
T3: Potent Basilisk, Wandering Mimic
T4: Faerie Dragon, Wandering Mimic
T5: Circle of Life, Tiny Basilisk
T6: 2 x Bloodlust

Get paid + float - (11)
Maxband Midori, Wandering Mimic takes to the air - (6)
Wandering Mimic destroys Tech II, your base to 12
Midori destroys Heroes’ Hall, your base to 10
Playful Panda, Drakk gives it haste, Wisp arrives - (4)
Circle of Life, Playful Panda turns into Ardra’s Boulder - (1)
Discard 1, draw 3

:psblueshield: Ardra’s Boulder 2/7+1A (Drakk: frenzy 1; Midori: +2/+1)
:psfist: Young Treant 1+0/2 (can’t attack)
:ps_: Wisp 2/2 (Drakk: frenzy +1; Midori: +2/+1)
:exhaust: Potent Basilisk 3/2 (haste; Drakk: frenzy 1; deathtouch; untargetable; 3 damage)

Drakk L6 3/3 (dies: 1 to your base; units have frenzy 1; first unit played from hand gets haste; 1 damage)
Midori L8 4/5 (units with no printed abilities get +2/+1; flying on my turn)
Wandering Mimic 4/4 (copying haste and untargetable, and flying on my turn; Drakk: frenzy 1; copies flying, overpower, haste, sparkshot, untargetable, and stealth)

:heart: Base HP: 16
:heart: Tech I HP: 5
:heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Balance)
:heart: Tower HP: 4

Hand: 3

Bloodlust
Tiny Basilisk
Tiger Cub

Deck: 4

Tiny Basilisk
Faerie Dragon
Wandering Mimic
Bloodlust

Discard: 3

Playful Panda
Circle of Life
Rich Earth

Card-count check (opponent-viewable)

Expected: 10 + 10 teched + 1 Circle of Life = 21
1 trashed
4 on board
3 in hand
4 in deck
3 in discard
6 in workers
Total: 20

Gold: 1
Workers: 10

4 x start
T1: Spore Shambler
T2: Forest’s Favour
T3: Ironbark Treant
T4: Verdant Tree
T5: Merfolk Prospector
T6: Rampant Growth

I’ll concede. I didn’t have a great path forward for a few turns, but that will seal it. GG!

@FrozenStorm

2 Likes

Amazed by big plays by both of you. Each turn I thought active player had the game. Flying TB was cool. I didn’t know it maintains deathtouch after turning into a flier.

1 Like

requesting an opinion on an alternate line of play: What about CoL the treant instead, to put it it in disc and get more draws? or maybe you think at that point board presence was more important?

GG! Tiny Basilisks saving my neck there, Balance mirror is a scary game for comebacks.

I just wanted board presence at that point. I reckoned that I was in a good position, as long as I could keep destroying zhavier’s Tech II, so I wanted to make killing the heroes / Mimic as hard as I could. Outside of Behind the Ferns, anyway.

Plus, if zhavier managed to stabilise, getting rid of the Panda means one less source of haste on the board, so it’s harder for him to make a comeback with hasted Mimics.

1 Like