Why is Flash Duel not as popular as it should be?

It’s seriously such a well-designed game which balances intuitive and complex. I have introduced a lot of non-boardgame players to the game who have developed a taste for other boardgames, but none hit the mark as Flash Duel does. I add that many of these friends were those intimidated by the complexity and culture of boardgames.

Flash Duel is really amazing, and I find it sad that nobody I know outside my circle knows about the game.

5 Likes

Yeah, even though it seems to be the bastard child to the core competitive Sirlin community, Flash Duel has actually been the biggest/easiest hit for me with all Sirlin games among the general audience that I’ve played with.

It had really poor advertising campaign though

1 Like

Well, it’s relatively hard to get ahold of a physical copy, and unlike Yomi, Codex and Puzzle Strike there’s no Steam or other online version.

I for one would very much like to play it, I think it’s right in the sweet spot for some of my friends who are daunted by how long and steep the learning curve of Yomi is, but I just can’t get it.

Isn’t it in stock on the Sirlin Games web store?

1 Like

Yomi is the flagship game, Puzzle Strike is a deckbuilder, but Flash Duel is a game that doesn’t have a lot to compare it to–and even Yomi has familiar 54-card poker decks. I think that might contribute.

Is it also possible that the game’s depth is hidden behind the seeming simplicity of it? I’ve haven’t scratched the surface of Flash Duel, myself, but I would like to play it more often! Or, ever! I think I’ve only played against my Dad a couple times, which was fun, but from what I understand there’s a lot there to explore that I haven’t seen.

I think that people interested in strategic games Sirlin has made might gravitate more to Puzzle Strike, Codex, Yomi, or Pandánte - or maybe even Fantasy Strike before thinking of playing Flash Duel at all, but I hope that more people consider it! Flash Duel can be really fun even when graphing calculators aren’t involved in the proceedings! :smiley_cat:

Another set of counterpoints: HD Remix and Flowchart and Kongai and Chess 2 and Puzzle Fighter II HD Remix are also games!

3 Likes

I’ve occasionally found myself wondering about the untapped potential of 2v2 team Flash Dance and all sorts of wild, potentially game-breaking synergies.

1 Like

2v2 is very very fun in the revised edition

1 Like