Why do you play Yomi?

{insert joke here about MANarchy}

Yomi is a funny thing for me. I had to get exposed to it several times before it stuck.

First exposure, some random guy brought the V1 box into a local gaming shop, first I’d ever heard of the game. I didn’t play, but I sorta watched. So I decided to look it up online and I saw dots and numbers and playing cards and other symbols and was very confused.

Second exposure, a friend of mine taught me Puzzle Strike using his physical copy, that eventually led me to the old Fantasy Strike site, and I played through the tutorial for Yomi. It was still pretty overwhelming and none of it took.

Third time around, I’d played Pandante, and was searching around to learn more about it. So I found Sirlin.net, rediscovered the old Fantasy Strike site, and decided to try out the tutorial in the Unity browser version. And for some reason, it finally stuck. I wound up spectating some match, it was probably a tournament match, and @mallorean_thug happened to notice me in the chat. (Mal recognized me from the anime thread on another message board.) Mal ran me through a coaching session via the Rook/Arg MU, and that was the start of everything for me.

I play Yomi because it’s fun to adapt my play to the different characters, to have to understand my hand and then determine how to approach the game. It’s about intense moments, tight comebacks, second-guessing, and tricky decisions on the fly that all add up. I always feel on edge because I know how a win can slip away and flip into a defeat if I lose it.

5 Likes