Who's your favourite character and why?

A couple of days late to the topic, but I thought I’d drop in my two cents for representation.

It’s hard to pick the definitive favourite, but the characters I love the most are Quince, Gloria, Arg, and Oni. People have already said plenty about them above, so I’ll be brief. Arg and Oni both have powerful options that significantly skew the rps which the opponent has to respect from turn one. They deal consistent, efficient damage that bear down on the opponent as an inexorable weight, and are very capable of setting up endgame checkmates. The constant pressure they provide is so fun to leverage. Quince and Gloria, on the other hand, just… cards. So many cards. I love grinning like an idiot at my hoard of treasure as my opponent trembles in fear of the punishment to come. They’re capable of constantly recurring their best options so I don’t need to agonize over using them, and the mere act of winning combat can feel oh so satisfying.

On a different note, I love that in this thread, all but four yomi characters have been said to be someone’s favourite/favourites. Really shows how well yomi is designed to maintain such diversity and appeal.

Poor Val and BBB, though. Will the painter girl and/or robot mains please stand up?

3 Likes

Well, in the time since I posted on this thread, I’d definitely say I’ve added BBB to my list of primary characters. I’m no @Thelo, certainly, but call me a robot partisan.

5 Likes

My favourite character by far is Vendetta. Why I like him:

• He’s a cool undead guy that flips and is acrobatic. I like the way he looks and also the style of combat that he goes for.
  • I’ve always liked Vega in SF2 and being able to do dive loops with Vendetta feels cool and reminds me of those SF2 videos where you see Vega just repeatedly do more and more loops on Oki. The match between how Vega plays in SF2 and how Vendetta plays feels right.
  • In terms of mechanism, I like how Vendetta can be, by far, one of the safest characters to play within Yomi. Although Vendetta relies a lot on the type of hand you play, if you play well you can set up situations where Ven is always safe from whichever situation you pitch him against. Having an acro and joker in hand means that you can pretty much disrespect every single option that your opponent has, and just go for wild plays since you know you will be able to get out of it. I like how I have to manage my hand well in order to play him effectively, but the character does reward you if you manage to pilot him right. He manages to be a fast attack/dodge oriented character without having ANY sub-1.0 moves and I feel that keeps both you and your opponent honest when you play him.

I also love BBB, mostly because he’s a robot. I feel playing BBB is like playing a puzzle and when you figure him out and how he’s supposed to play, he can be quite effective.

7 Likes

ONI SMASH!!! :onimaru:

6 Likes

Ven Arg are the most fun chars to play with Midori a touch behind, Geiger is the most skill testing char in the game, and so far ahead of whatever 2nd place would be that its not even worth discussion, and Rook is the best designed character in the game.

2 Likes

My main used to be Quince. He drives the pace of the game, has so many options and it feels so rewarding to land a slow, heavy blow ! He plays in really different ways depending of his starting hand and the MU. I also love the fact he benefits from blocking a lot and saving key cards for combos.
I’m looking forward to switch my main to Menelker. My favourite strategy with Quince was to deplete my opponent from his throws and Kspin a lot, but that’s really situationnal and doesn’t work very well.
Menelker has really fun tools to interfere with opponent’s gameplan and he benefits from blocking a lot too. What is more, I love his chara design and his background.

I don’t agree with mastrblastr with Geiger being the most skill testing char in the game. I’d probably put Persephone in the first place, as you need to be strategic in how your build your hand without being too predictable and while being a bit damage efficient. Overengineering and overrushing are common when you’re not 100% focused on the match. You also have to remember opponent’s hand and discard and play in consequence.

7 Likes