What are you playing now?

I just got a Switch. So far, it’s been fantastic. Looking forward to getting Pocket Rumble when it comes out!

1 Like

I’ll definitely get a switch at least for Zelda and hopefully longshots like monster hunter and fantasy strike in the future. But the end of winter quarter and tax season are apon me. Alas, I must pretend I am an adult!

Edit: I just learned that apon is simply the old middle English way of spelling upon.

2 Likes

I’m certain to be getting a Switch for Splatoon 2, and I’ll probably get Shovel Knight and Mario Kart 8 again despite already owning them on Wii U. Having them in a portable form with 2-player built in basically fulfills my childhood dreams!

Main first impressions from the Switch have been WOW it is SMALL, and the Joy-Con is SMALL. A Joy-Con by itself isn’t super optimal for many types of games, like Tetris,* but on the other hand the value proposition here is largely one of “this way, you have that game available, portable, without buying an additional controller, instead of not having multiplayer at all.” Pocket Rumble should work pretty well, and Fantasy Strike should be great (one day). Snipperclips is also great, and makes a great launch title to show off the potential of the Switch for multiplayer.

*Incidentally, the Puyo Puyo Tetris S demo is absurdly generous. Compared to the Wii U/PlayStation demos, it has twice as many characters to select from, an additional gameplay mode (Swap, where every 30 seconds it switches between Tetris and Puyo Puyo), and local multiplayer, which means that if you’re OK with just those two modes and not playing online, there’s almost no reason to actually buy the game. It’s ridiculous.

1 Like

anyone tried millennium blades board game?

Yes, one of the regulars in our gaming group has it (got it in the Kickstarter, so he’s had it for the best part of a year). I really like it, although definitely not in a “I want to play this every week” kind of way. Some others in our group don’t like it (notably my wife), and it’s a bit of a pig to set up, so in combination with having loads of other games it doesn’t see massively regular play - but I’m definitely a fan. It’s silly, but definitely not without strategy - definitely scratching an itch for figuring out weird card combos on the fly.

I’d probably have backed the KS myself had this friend not got there before me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, anyone try out the Guilty Gear Rev 2 PS4 demo? Definitely got a friend who’s really really happy Baiken is back.

Now both my Pandemic Legacy groups have completed the campaign. End result: Red Team got the Legendary ending, Blue Team got the Average ending. The difference of ending with the 2nd tier ending Destroying all military bases. Red Team did it (not doing it would’ve had a 2nd tier ending), Blue Team didn’t (doing it would’ve had a 2nd tier ending.) But yeah, I feel it was worth having 2 copies, 2 teams, cause of how different the two boards look.

Now at some point, I’ll caricature all the players based on all the lovely in-jokes (like our great Trump roadblock wall) we had over the year. Based on my job situation though, I’m not sure I’ll be able to get the teams back together for Season 2 :frowning:

Seafall - We’ve reached the point where most group quit, the long grind to the end (think of it as randomly trying to find the things needed to end the campaign.) We’ll still stick to it to the bitter end. That said, last game I had, the 2 leading players (leading by 30 points, which frankly leaves a bitter taste) weren’t able to show up so the bottom 3 players played without them. I will say 3 player Seafall is probably a better game, and it was quite relaxing.

So would I recommend Seafall to anyone? Eeeeeehh… if there’s a 2nd edition that fixes all the complaints, this game would be amazing. As it is, if you do want to experience it, cause it is an interesting experience and a lot of cool discoveries (and I do mean mind blowing cool), but prepare to expect inbalances in playstyles (as in, by the time you realize it, there is really only 1 playstyle that is worth far far far far far more points and advantages than others.) I don’t regret playing it, but I’d be hardpressed to recommend it. This is one of those, you play for the “experience of it.”

Upcoming - Waiting on my copy of Room-25 Escape Room and Dark Souls the boardgame to arrive in the mail this month. I also got a copy of Cutthroat Caverns so I can eventually answer @Plum the comparisons to it to Bloodborne.