What are you playing now?

Ok, so I mean if your merlin player is so bad that they just give themselves away every time, then they can basically play as a normal. Yes, that tilts things since the bad guys can still fluke an assassin win, but that’s better than the bad guys getting a guaranteed assassin win

1 Like

Absolutely yes. I’ve been addicted to sunless sea again with the Zub DLC. it’s fantastic.

1 Like

My Pandemic Legacy Red Team and one Blue Team member tried out the Seafall prologue.

I can understand the complaints from the reviews, but my group was suited for complicated rules and we used our practice prologue game to get all our confusion frustrations out of the way. Once we tried out and tested all the different mechanics, I think we have a good idea of how the game works, and we enjoyed ourselves.

The group is hype for future game, but it may be 2017 before we officially start.

On a different note,

Pandemic Legacy Blue Team has finished the campaign.

I just got my copy of Mechs vs Minions @Zejety, first playthrough with my friends was last night. We all stayed up past our bedtimes to play a second mission b/c the first mission was so fun. I see this having tremendous replay value and we had a BLAST with the “first-time” experience, 10/10 highly recommend.

1 Like

oh NO Mini Metro just came out on iOS and Android and now I am re-addicted D: D: D:

Oh god, no!

Speaking of Android: I’m currently playing “Little Healer”. It’s a simpler version or clone of a tablet game I used to play just called “Healer”.
It’s pretty much a simplified WoW raid simulator in which you play a lone (?) healer. You prepare a load out of 4 spells for every encounter and keep those HP bars filled. The bosses are reasonably diverse even though you never need to move or pay attention to anything but the party interface.
It’s pretty fun for quick sessions!

I am watching a lot of Dead By Daylight recently, more than playing it, because the game itself is kind of a grind for perks and points to level up, which is very booring.

But some of the core mechanics are so incredably cool!

The new killer, Michael Myers from Halloween, has some of the coolest game design I have seen in a loooong time.

Ok, so a short recap: This is a game about surviving an arena where you are hunted by killers. Or, if you are playing as the killer, a game where you are supposed to kill as many of the survivors as possible. There are now 5 killers available, and they all play differently. One of them puts out bear traps for the survivors to get stuck in, there is a chainsaw dude who … chainsaws, there is a wraith who can turn almost invisible so you don’t know they are there until he/she decloaks which takes 2-3 seconds and makes a lot of noise, and you have a nurse character that can teleport by charging up to a specific time. The Michael Myers character is basically just a dude with a knife.

But there is more. All killers have something called a “terror radius”, which means survivors heart beat will get increasingly loud for the survivor characters if you are around. Michael Myers terror radius is a lot smaller than all the other ones. It is 50% smaller than the others, so he is twice as close to you as a survivor when you finally hear he is near.

That is all filler tho, the real genious is his ability, which is Stalking. When he has line of sight to a survivor, he can go in to a mode where he limits his movement options, where he is just looking at his victim. This fills up a bar, and when this bar is filled up, the Halloween theme plays over the whole arena. And that interaction there, is so increadibly cool. Because you as a survivor now knows that he is looking at one of you, and you become so paranoid from it.

In this game of hide and seek, and him having a shorter terror radius, you feel safe when you don’t hear your heart beat rise. You are fixing generators, looking around for the killer, and then suddenly the theme music plays, and you know he knows where some of you are. Is it you? Did you not check the horizon closely enough?

When Michael stalks, and fills up his bar, he gets a speed boost. He can fill up to 3 bars up with his stalking, but at that point he has stalked so much that it isn’t very effective any more. There are balance issues that they need to tweak with him, but the core mechanic of having a killer rewarded for just … looking at you. Then alerting everyone that he has now infact been looking at some of you for quite a long time, that is soooo cooool!

6 Likes

Titanfall 2 all day, all night, every waking moment.

1 Like

Battlerite all day, all night, every waking moment.

3 Likes

Real talk though, I’m loving Titanfall 2.

I spent so much time criticising games or analysing them or bemoaning the state of modern gaming that it’s just really, really nice to have a game that I just love and really enjoy and that I’m having a great time with.

1 Like

Welp, as of yesterday, I started playing SFV. It’s fun, and I’m pretty sure I’d be pouring more hours into it if I could get the damn game to download the update and let me play Ibuki.

1 Like

But you could be playing any one of the other characters in the rich, diverse cast.
Why choose ibuki??

Because she’s my favorite character in the franchise.

1 Like

Have been playing Salt and Sanctuary. Did not expect a 2d souls-like to be so much fun. I love the art and little touches, like the blood splatters on the background and floor sprites. I think tight gameplay is the key ingredient for any souls-like (sorry Lords of the Fallen) and this has it in spades. Surprise hit in my collection.

Darkest Dungeon is also a new favourite. I love how much the characters surprise you. One character might be stealing to deal with the stress, while another becomes abusive from being in the front all the time. Then they start abusing each other and their stress increases, only for one character to become virtuous and keep you in the game. Then you are shocked when an enemy scores a critical and your virtuous character dies! Awesomeness.

2 Likes

Lately, I’ve been playing copious amounts of (Super Smash Bros.) Project M over netplay. I’m not a very technical player, so I play more defensive characters like Snake and Samus who can get KOs off of one powerful move that takes a good read to connect with successfully (C4 for Snake; Charge Shot for Samus). I’m losing a lot, but I’m having fun.

For what it’s worth, the game also has options for Auto L-Canceling* and a three-frame input buffer, but nobody uses them because “only scrubs use those options”. However, I think the game would be so much easier to play with those options on that it would allow players of all skill levels to get to the “good” part of competitve play much faster than if they were off. If I ever hold a Project M tournament, I would require both of those options to be on as part of the tournament rule set.

* L-Canceling Explanation

L-Canceling (aka Lag Canceling or Smooth Landing) is a system mechanic that allows you to press a shield button 7 frames before landing on the ground while you are still performing any part of an aerial attack (so whether you are in startup, active, or recovery frames). If you do so, the landing lag of your attack (the amount of frames it takes your character to move again if you land during an aerial attack) is cut in half. L-Canceling highly speeds up the gameplay of Project M (and it’s parent game, Super Smash Bros. Melee), but it’s needlessly technical for something so critical to competitive play, similar to how special moves are currently handled in Street Fighter.

3 Likes

I think you will find many proponents of auto L-cancelling on this board.

3 Likes

That’s half the reason I mentioned in my post, my good fellow! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m curious. Has anyone here played the new board game from Riot games, Mechs and Minions?

1 Like

I’ve played the first campaign mission and we had a great time. We were flailing around wildly for the first half of it, but eventually got our shit together and successfully completed the mission at the last possible moment. I’m not sure how many times I would want to repeat the same mission (though I would certainly be happy to try it once or twice more, to fine tune it) but I’m very much looking forward to the next one.