What are you playing now?

Both. We’re running season three of our tabletop county league at the moment (so far I’m 0-1-2 :disappointed_relieved:) and have a one-day event coming up - it’s a 1200tv tournament with one designated star player who can have up to 70k worth of upgrades. I’m looking forward to unleashing my fully pimped Minotaur on my enemies :smiley:

I also play BB2 on Steam occasionally, but generally if I’m at my PC and have time to kill then I’ll be playing Overwatch instead. Funnily enough though, I had a couple of steam friends telling me to get back into BB2 last night so I need to make some time for it. But I’m enjoying Chaos Pact at the moment and they don’t exist on BB2 :frowning:

Pretty sure I’m Scallatta on PSN and CFN

I need to see if it’s finally playable on my PC after patches. It absolutely was not at launch.

Woooo played Norse in a Blood Bowl one-day resurrection tournament on Saturday, and after eight hours of constant play, I came away with a second place! I tied my first round game against Amazons, which I was delighted with as half my guys were taken off the field. Second round was against Chaos Dwarves, which started badly as they blitzed the kick-off and then scored shortly after. I managed to get both of the opposing centaurs off the pitch and then my greater speed let me literally run rings around the remaining dorfs, for a 2-1 win. Third round was Halflings, who had induced a STR7 super tree, a wizard and a chef who took all my rerolls. The dice were good though and the game finished without a single halfling left on the pitch, and a 3-0 win.

The final round was against the Chaos player who had so far not lost a game; if I won, I was grand champion, but he only needed a draw. It was a brutal and bloody fight, and I broke his serve to pick up the first score. He returned the favour though and over the course of eight incredibly tense turns we battled only a few squares from my touchline. Eventually my cage collapsed and my blodger almost got clean away before being caught by an incredible desperation blitz (dodge, dodge, dodge, gfi, one-die block, gfi, pickup). I took his ball carrier down on the following turn but failed the pickup, kicking the ball loose in the process and he wasted no more time in grabbing it and tying the game on the last turn. Such a good game, and a very fitting epic finale!

Second place was enough to net me a die-cast metal Necromantic team though, so I’m super pleased!

1 Like

Stratego is a game that I play shocking little for how little I love it. I’m not enough of a snob to have opinions on what printing has the best components - I got the 50th Anniversary Tin at a Toys ‘R’ Us some years ago.
A local pal and I had been shittalking about who would wreck who in Stratego for a couple years before we finally sat down to play a few rounds. I yomi’d the hell out of him. He realized I baited him perfectly early enough to watch it play out in horror, but too late to change the results.

1 Like

Have you ever tried Knizia’s LOTR: Confrontation? If you enjoy the hidden block strategy of Stratego, it condenses it down into a bitesize affair and paints the whole thing in a Lord of the Rings theme. It’s a different end-goal of course, but it scratches a similar itch

1 Like

Haven’t. Will keep an eye open!

Generally, I am always playing Mega Man Unlimited. I love Mega Man games (if you couldn’t already tell). MMU is a fan game that is so good that could pass as a legitimate Mega Man title. It’s a bit on the hard side, but that fact doesn’t stop me from highly recommending it since I think it’s the good kind of hard.

1 Like

I’ve been playing a lot of The Resistance: Avalon recently. It’s a hidden identity game where the good guys have to succeed missions without being sabotaged by the spies. There are different characters with different amounts of information. The key feature of the game is that one character on the resistance, Merlin, knows who all of the spies are. But, at the end of the game, if the good guys pass enough missions to win, the spies get a chance to try and stab Merlin, and if they correctly identify him, they win. So, Merlin has to try and nudge his team towards correctly identifying the spies without being too obvious and getting stabbed.

The game has a lot of interesting decisions. As a regular resistance member, you have to try and figure out who you should trust. As Merlin, you have to try and get missions to pass without getting identified and stabbed. As a spy, you have to try and fail missions, while confusing the resistance and trying to identify Merlin. Anyways, the game is really fun, especially when you can play it multiple nights a week with 6 to 8 friends. I wasn’t a big fan of the original version of The Resistance, because it felt too random, but the added characters and associated information completely change the dynamics of the game.

1 Like

Avalon is pretty nice, but I feel like it ultimately becomes a 50/50 because the only way for the good guys to win is for Merlin to signal to the good guys who he is, but if he does it to obvious the bad guys will win. Basically, you can never actually know the difference between Merlin and the “Merlin”-spy.

In my experience, the good guys will “win” something like 70% of games if they play in a reasonably-good fashion. Then the spies get a chance to guess who Merlin is and win instead. If Merlin is good, dodging identification isn’t that hard, and the overall winrate I see for the Resistance team is around 65%. Which isn’t that bad as far as these kinds of games go, but I’d rather play Secret Hitler :smiley:

I don’t think that’s strictly true - at worst the Merlin player can simply not take advantage of their knowledge and play as an ordinary player would. In fact, if you’re a terrible actor you can simply not look during the Merlin phase. Granted, the bad guys still have a 1/X chance of randomly choosing you at the end, but you don’t have to try to tip the team off as to who is good.

And mostly recently playing/teaching Mythos Tales, a Sherlock Holmes style game in the Cthulhu universe

Having played Avalon a few games at a camp, I was sad that the Assassin pretty always won any game that would’ve been won by the Court.
I even mostly called out the scum team (I got one wrong but whatever) and lead my team to “victory” only to have Merlin sniped because he was too obvious.

So this morning after turning on my PS4 for the first time in a long time, noticed an update for Guilty Gear XRD revelator, and figured, why not try the online for a bit.

Turns out my best character is still May.

2 Likes

I’ve already got Codex on my desk at work. But no one wants to play :frowning:

Not playing yet, but Seafall has arrived at my location. Probably won’t actually start the campaign until 2017 (have to get through our Risk and Pandemic Legacy campaigns first.) I am aware of the mixed reviews, but my groups seem to be excited regardless.

I visited SPIEL yesterday and today, hyped to grab SeaFall despite the mixed reviews. Then I saw the price and hesitated, deciding to think about it until I am about to leave.
It was sold out. Oops. =D

At least I don’t need to rush the decision now. Maybe I’ll order Mechs vs. Minions instead. We also recently discovered Descent’s Road to Legend app which may scratch that campaign itch for now.

Actual Essen purchases are Fury of Dracula, Blood Rage (signed by the Designer!), a German Rook deck, and the original Colt Express expansion. A friend bought a lot of fun, smaller games we played on whims and I look forward to trying them again.

2 Likes

Speaking of which, anyone who’s played Sunless Sea, any of you playing the Zubmariner dlc?

I should say that I mostly have only played this as 5 or 6 player game, so my experience of balance is tweaked for that amount of players. But Merlin reducing his role to a nobody seems to me like it would make bad guys win more? Surely knowing who Morgana and Percival CAN be is better than not knowing? Which then promps the issue, any information openly given can be valued by the Assasin as information Merlin tries to use to figure out who Percival is.

The Lady of the Lake mechanic can change this a little, as Merlin can figure that out immediately, but loosing the Lady of the Lake token to the bad guys is never a good idea.