What are you playing now?

Sorry! I should’ve figured that would be alarming. Curubethion here. I probably shouldn’t split my usernames like that, but there we go.

1 Like

Lots of Pocket Rumble, yet another easy execution fighting game.

2 Likes

I’m excited to try it when I get a Switch! I’ve heard lots of good things from people on these forums, though I’ll probably still prefer Fantasy Strike. It’ll be a while before I can get it, but is there anything I should know before playing?

Like what specficially?

All I know about it is that it’s meant to have easy execution (though probably not as easy as Fantasy Strike). So I guess I’d like to know things like what fighting game(s) it’s closest to, controls, basic character summaries… Things like that. Feel free to just toss links at me if that’s easier!

Basic overview of game

As for comparison, if FSFG is a simplified Street Fighter/GG, PR is a simplified KoF

The character bio’s are a bit dated, and a few of the characters have been redesigned.

Here’s a current version:

Tenchi = Shoto, like Ryu , Ky , etc . Gains meter by using specials. Basic dash.

Naomi = Rushdown with no projectile, like Decapre / Cammy, Terry Bogard. Gains meter by pressing A+B to charge, meter is used for Ex moves. Has a run that can be shorthopped

Parker = Parry / Traps, like GG Bridget + SF4 Abel, can set up orbs to be used later. Meter is used for parry, if you miss, you lose a bar. Has a projectile invincible roll.

June = Ranged, like Dhalsim , Anarkaris. Gains meter by collecting spirits that opponents release after hit. Meter is used to activate a clone that repeats the last special used by June, and acts like a roman cancel. Dash is a teleport.

Sub11 = Moble Grappler, like SFV Mika , Laura. Gains meter by blocking, can be used to give Sub11 armor for one hit, and acts like a roman cancel. Has a crawl that gives low profile and has one of the greatest animations ever.

Hector = Pokes, like GG Johnny. Anytime Hector uses a special/dashes, he loses 1hp that is put into his meter, up to 3hp. To regain this hp, you have to push A+B. Dash does crossup attack.

Quinn = , like Fei Long. Currently doesn’t have meter implemented, but it was intended to turn him into werewolf mode. Dash does wallcling, and can attack from there.

Keiko + Q = Puppet, like GG Zato. Currently doesn’t have meter implemented, but her cat Q has hp. Dash moves Q

8 Likes

I’m legitimately pretty curious if the extremely open-ended plugins mentioned in the Kickstarter will wind up being a possibility, partially because it theoretically opens the door to fan-made characters who could even conceivably be added as official characters in later patches.

(this is on my mind mainly because I feel bad for Kasumi that the Kickstarter didn’t reach the Geiger stretch goal, despite her generous contribution to funding)

2 Likes

I have been playing some Pocket Rumble lately, not much, but a little. It is great fun ^^

It is probably a bit too fast paced for me to be very proficient in it.

Thank god someone else feels this way as well. I keep yelling ‘STOP’ at it when playing against the CPU.

2 Likes

To be fair, that’s fighting games in general until your learn what to look for mid-battle. Some are worse about it than others, but it’s true of all of them to some degree.

1 Like

Yeah. Ideally I’d be playing against someone about as bad as I am, but the bad fighting game people I know haven’t picked up the game, so it will go unplayed for now.

Bug the Switch owners! The game is only $10 and sticks out from the low number of local coop games that are supposed to highlight the console’s gimmick.
It’s coming this month!

2 Likes

Switch owners are an illusion.

So? Just don’t :target: them and roll with it.

8 Likes

I just got a Switch. So far, it’s been fantastic. Looking forward to getting Pocket Rumble when it comes out!

1 Like

I’ll definitely get a switch at least for Zelda and hopefully longshots like monster hunter and fantasy strike in the future. But the end of winter quarter and tax season are apon me. Alas, I must pretend I am an adult!

Edit: I just learned that apon is simply the old middle English way of spelling upon.

2 Likes

I’m certain to be getting a Switch for Splatoon 2, and I’ll probably get Shovel Knight and Mario Kart 8 again despite already owning them on Wii U. Having them in a portable form with 2-player built in basically fulfills my childhood dreams!

Main first impressions from the Switch have been WOW it is SMALL, and the Joy-Con is SMALL. A Joy-Con by itself isn’t super optimal for many types of games, like Tetris,* but on the other hand the value proposition here is largely one of “this way, you have that game available, portable, without buying an additional controller, instead of not having multiplayer at all.” Pocket Rumble should work pretty well, and Fantasy Strike should be great (one day). Snipperclips is also great, and makes a great launch title to show off the potential of the Switch for multiplayer.

*Incidentally, the Puyo Puyo Tetris S demo is absurdly generous. Compared to the Wii U/PlayStation demos, it has twice as many characters to select from, an additional gameplay mode (Swap, where every 30 seconds it switches between Tetris and Puyo Puyo), and local multiplayer, which means that if you’re OK with just those two modes and not playing online, there’s almost no reason to actually buy the game. It’s ridiculous.

1 Like

anyone tried millennium blades board game?

Yes, one of the regulars in our gaming group has it (got it in the Kickstarter, so he’s had it for the best part of a year). I really like it, although definitely not in a “I want to play this every week” kind of way. Some others in our group don’t like it (notably my wife), and it’s a bit of a pig to set up, so in combination with having loads of other games it doesn’t see massively regular play - but I’m definitely a fan. It’s silly, but definitely not without strategy - definitely scratching an itch for figuring out weird card combos on the fly.

I’d probably have backed the KS myself had this friend not got there before me :slight_smile:

2 Likes