What are you guys planning to use for sleeves

The pages are great! I think Fantasy Flight sleeves are a little thicker and I did PnP using card stock and a backing card, so my setup will be much thicker than everyone else’s. I don’t have to worry about cards sticking inside and they don’t fall out if I toss the binders around either.

I’m using the official Codex sleeves for all of the standard unit cards. I’m using standard size Fantasy Flight sleeves for the cards with different backs, like the heroes, workers, and tokens.

Are there sleeves that fit the mini cards?

1 Like

Hey @olanmills, see Rico’s comments on mini cards in his travel / storage guide. He said

For the mini cards (spec choices and add-on buildings):

• I only tried some Mayday Mini Chimera Game Sleeves (these were the non-premium type, they come in a pack of 100 with a red cover), which are officially 43mm x 65mm. They’re a little long (the 65mm bit) but fit perfectly on the sides. This form-factor isn’t available from a lot of the manufacturers, and my local store didn’t carry it so I ordered them from Amazon (which delayed this particular post).
  • The Premium ones say they’re 41mm x 63 mm, which is weird because that’s the size of the Mini-USA ones. I haven’t tried them, but suspect that’s just not going to fit, given the fairly perfect fit of the 43mm non-premiums.
  • I was worried I’d have to get the Mini Euro boardgame sleeves (officially 45mm x 68mm), which would be even longer, but didn’t end up trying them.
  • When all stacked up, they puff up a little and one or two wants to float out of the designated holding area in the deluxe box, but it’s not a big deal.
  • If anyone doesn’t like sleeves, by all means skip them, (especially for the mini cards which aren’t handled much anyway).
2 Likes

I picked up a pack of 100 “penny” sleeves (a misnomer, since the pack cost $2) to sleeve my heroes, workers, and tokens. It was exactly the right number of sleeves to do all of that, I was amazed. I haven’t counted the number of token cards to know if that was a fluke or not (it’s not uncommon for packs of sleeves to be plus or minus a couple sleeves). And now I don’t have to worry about accidentally shuffling those cards into my decks, since the sleeves and card backs are quite obviously different!

2 Likes

Update: I’ve been shuffling my Codex-sleeved Yomi foil aces at work intermittently for about 2 weeks now. So far, I have not noticed any fading or wear on the sleeves. I will update again either when a) I notice any fading or wear, or b) enough time has passed that I get accused of being Garth Torken for resurrecting this thread.

1 Like

I’m currently using old glossy dragon shield white sleeves. I can barely see the back of then codex card which allows me to adjust the cards so they are all right side up (I’m picky like that). No issues with the codex binders at all (2 cards in each pocket). Barely any sticking for me, but my home is AC’ed. However, even with the thick dragon shields, the cards feel extremely thin. I may end up double sleeving codex since these are the thinnest cards I own. My print and play games are actually thicker when sleeved.

1 Like

Thanks @FrozenStorm. That helped me with the sizing. For the mini cards, I’m using Fantasy Flight “Mini European Board Game Size” which are 44 x 68 mm. That’s just what I was able to find easily at a local store. 43 x 65 mm would definitely fit a tad better. The 68 mm side is too long, and I may try to trim it at some point, but it’s not really a big deal.

I used 43x65 and it was still too long. I used a big paper cutter at the library to trim them up by hand and the result was really good.

2 Likes

Are most people sleeving their cards as they codex them into a match, or are they having them sleeved in their binders?

I sleeved everything as I put it into the binders, and they will stay sleeved unless I think of a good reason to remove them.

2 Likes

Sleeving cards as you tech them in (and, presumably, unsleeving when the game is over) sounds like a maddening hassle to me.

5 Likes

I used Black Matte Dragon Shields for all starter decks and all cards in a binder. I used Clear Matte Dragon Shields for all heroes, all tokens (except the dancers), and the map cards. I used Clear Dragon Shield sleeves for the workers and dancer tokens (since they were double sided, didn’t want one side matte). FFG Mini-American board game sleeves were slightly too tight for the small tokens (forcing a card in caused it to bed). I’m going to try the Mini-European board game sleeves.

1 Like

I used Black Matte Dragon Shields for all starter decks and all cards in a binder, while i sleeved worker cards, heroes and tokens (all cards that do not get shuffled) into ltra-Pro Clear Deck Protector Sleeves. All works like a charm!

1 Like

Guys, i’d like to buy a good binder for my neutral faction too. Can someone recommend me something? bonus points if resembles the deluxe ones. ty

1 Like

Ah… I just got done re-sleeving my print and play set. Previously I’d used (stupidly) clear Dragon Shields, but that looked pretty bad. Now I’ve sleeved everything in black Dragon Shields, except for tokens and Heroes, which I’ve used white Dragon Shields for, to easily differentiate them.

Everything looks so much nicer now! :blush:

2 Likes

I originally used clear Dragon Shields for the Starter set but my sleeves didn’t feel great to shuffle or something. This is the first time I ever used Dragon Shield. I ended up getting KMC Hyper Matte Clears and I’m going to resleeve the starter and the Core set I just received.

I bought some clear penny sleeves for my hero + token cards, but I really don’t like how much extra space there is. It’s like night and day between those and the official sleeves. The other clear sleeves mentioned in here have been the FFG clears and KMC Hyper Matte clears - for those of you that have them, how snugly do those fit the cards?

From my experience, Ultra Pro Clears are a bit snug. It won’t warp the cards but it’s not exactly a smooth experience trying to sleeve the cards. Dragon Shields are better fit and they have better room clearance at top. KMC Hyper Mattes are slightly (0.1mm probaby) wider than the Dragon Shields and are much easier to sleeve. Only thing is it doesn’t have as much room clearance on top (but no where as close as the official Codex sleeves). I prefer the feel of the KMC Hyper Matte clears over the Dragon Shield clears.

2 Likes

For folders, I have the 6 that came with the deluxe set. Are most people buying 3 extra binders for the neutral set and whichever combination you’re using at the time? That is, do you move the 3 specs you’ve picked out of their binders and into a new one before you play?

Finished sleeving my Codices recently!! It took me a while, since I was double sleeving everything. :0 I used clear KMC Perfect Size sleeves on the inside, and clear Dragon Shield sleeves on the outside - for the most parte! It seems to have turned out very well. I was running out of clear Dragons, though, so I picked up some other Dragon Shield matte sleeves to sleeve my remaining stuffs (tokens + map cards). I wish I had had enuff clear Dragons for everything to maintain consistency, but all of my Starter/Spell/Tech cards are in clear sleeves so whatever.

Still haven’t played the game, though. :psyduck: I would like to soon!!

2 Likes