Vanilla Sundae Tournament - Signups open until 11/2

vengefulpickle vs @Ivan
2 - 4

:setsuki::pschip::psfist::geiger:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::geiger:
:zane::pschip::psfist::geiger: - Carousel Engage!
:zane::psfist::pschip::geiger:
:zane::psfist::pschip::troq:
:zane::pschip::psfist::troq:

GGs!

3 Likes

ArthurWynne vs @undergroundmonorail
:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :setsuki: The theme of today’s set is “Aces for days”.
:troq: :knockdown: :psfist: :setsuki: Had Beast Unleashed, should have played it, was too chicken.
:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :setsuki: Setsuki smashes me down to 17 hp with Surprise Gifts, but I hit Beast Unleashed to knock her down to 16, then threaten AA and kill with a throw.
:troq: :knockdown: :psfist: :setsuki: Down to the wire - AA loses to dodge into AA on very last combat reveal.
:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :setsuki: Jokers for days.
:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :setsuki: Beast Unleashed finish!

At least I think this is how it went. Most of the set is a blur. :joy:

GGs @undergroundmonorail!

Final result: 4-2 to ArthurWynne

4 Likes

Caralad 3 - 4 @PumpedAaron

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:
:troq::pschip: :psfist: :valerie:
:troq::pschip: :psfist: :valerie:
:jaina: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:

ggs

1 Like

ArthurWynne vs @Nopethebard

:zane: :psfist: :knockdown: :menelker: Zane brutalises Menelker - this match-up feels super unfair, like Zane just does everything better.
:zane: :knockdown: :psfist: :menelker: Menelker gets big wins in early combats and Zane’s lifebar dwindles. Menelker goes low hand, but keeps winning all the combats. Turns out even a worse Zane is pretty good!
:zane: :psfist: :knockdown: :menelker: Zane brutalises Menelker again.
:zane: :knockdown: :psfist: :troq: Carousel (and Kings) engaged. Ow.
:geiger: :knockdown: :psfist: :troq: Got the worst of the early game and then some, as Nope had a solid edge in both reads and card quality. Hit a pocket of spirals which gave me a second wind but it was too little too late.
:geiger: :psfist: :knockdown: :troq: With much better Geiger draws, match-up gravity reasserts itself.
:geiger: :psfist: :knockdown: :zane: The most exciting game of the set, as far as I’m concerned. Zane was in the driver’s seat, but it turns out that when Time Spiral Hurricanes are gone, you can get them back!

Final result 4-3 to ArthurWynne

Good set and very close! But I think we’re both looking forward to 19XX.

2 Likes

That last game was really frustrating for me because I didn’t even have blocks for most of it so I got hit by stuff I couldn’t really do anything about. But yes I’m greatly looking forward to 19XX.

“One time (spirals) are lost, you can’t get them back… Or can you?”

3 Likes

You can if you’re Geiger.

1 Like

mysticjuicer 4 - 2 Castanietzsche

:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :troq:
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :troq:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:

ggs and wp Casta!

2 Likes

ArthurWynne vs Caralad

:grave: :psfist: :knockdown: :geiger: TPoS finish!
:grave: :knockdown: :psfist: :degrey: Caralad had a solid life lead for the whole match, but I got him low enough to play for a TPoS comeback. I had the cards I needed to power up for it and start playing super mixups, too, but misplayed my hand and never put it together.
:zane: :psfist: :knockdown: :degrey: Very close one!
:zane: :knockdown: :psfist: :troq: Caralad patiently played a blodge/throw range all game until he could kill me with Beast Unleashed. I got some damage in, but never really had a shot.
:geiger: :psfist: :knockdown: :troq: Crazy game. I was too aggressive in the early game - it paid off short term but left me with hand issues throughout. I put damage on Troq catch as catch can, but went down to a two-card hand in the end game and thought I was never going to win a combat again. Improbably, I managed to muddle through with draws that were just good enough and steal the win.
:geiger: :psfist: :knockdown: :zane: Not as crazy as the last game, but still quite a scramble. Early in the game, Caralad powered up for a single ace and dodged - I thought it was a bluff and called it with a throw, but really dodged a bullet when I blocked the next turn: He woke up with Anarchy! That stroke of luck gave me the upper hand and allowed me to pressure his hand with spirals, and good hits off R&D kept me from running out of aggro-geig fuel until the game was over.

1 Like

Ivan vs Castanietzsche - 4:3
:lum::pschip::psfist::zane:
:troq::psfist::pschip::zane:
:troq::psfist::pschip::onimaru:
:troq::pschip::psfist::onimaru:
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::onimaru:
:argagarg::pschip::psfist::quince:
:zane::psfist::pschip::quince:
Pretty standard CP set. That Troq-Oni win gave me the set. GGs, mate was tense and fun.

2 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 0 PumpedAaron

ggs PumpedAaron!

3 Likes

Gah! I was just 5 matches away from winning! So close… next time @mysticjuicer

3 Likes

ArthurWynne vs @Ivan

:zane: :psfist: :knockdown: :zane:
:zane: :psfist: :knockdown: :troq:
:zane: :psfist: :knockdown: :troq:
:zane: :knockdown: :psfist: :troq:
:geiger: :knockdown: :psfist: :troq:
:geiger: :psfist: :knockdown: :troq:

No play-by-play today as I’m going out. I’d very much like to hear what it was like from Ivan’s perspective, as he seemed to have unlucky draws in several games.

2 Likes

I drew well this set. You just outplay me. You had slightly better luck only first game where all of your Ks shows up and i drew only one. Good Set mate. Keep up the good work. Thanks for the games.

3 Likes

Loser’s finals: Arthur Wynne vs @PumpedAaron

:onimaru: :psfist: :knockdown: :troq:
:onimaru: :knockdown: :psfist: :valerie:
:onimaru: :psfist: :knockdown: :valerie:
:onimaru: :psfist: :knockdown: :troq:

At which point @PumpedAaron forfeited abruptly, hence this rather minimalist writeup.

Final result: ArthurWynne wins by forfeit.

2 Likes

Yeah, i had some things to take care of. I can already tell I have an Onimaru problem. I should play Degrey more haha!

ggs @ArthurWynne

2 Likes

GGs! Pity you had to run like that. I’m sure we could have continued the set later if you’d said something!

2 Likes

Right! Yes I suppose. but adult life means I have responsibilities. I should figure out how to manage my time better!

1 Like

And then there were two.

Grand Finals
mysticjuicer vs ArthurWynne
Thursday, January 2 @ 2pm Eastern
insert Terminator 2 main theme drums here

4 Likes

Oni is very unusual for sure. It can help to think of him like a grappler with dodgable command grabs and fight him accordingly. Arg is the textbook counterpick but my favorite Oni matchup personally is Menelker v Oni. It’s a pretty fun matchup