Vanilla Sundae Tournament - Signups open until 11/2

Vanilla Sundae

It’s that rarest of beasts, a standard Best-of-7 counterpick no-restrictions Yomi tournament, in this, the year of our lord 2019! Rejoice! And bring your own spicy toppings to supplement this vanilla!

Rules

• Double elimination
  • Best of 7
  • Medium timer
  • Double KO is a win for both players, unless it would cause both to win the set.
  • Character Selection
    • First selection is double-blind
    • Winning player must remain with their character
    • Losing player may select any character in the cast
  • Double-Down counts as a win for both players unless they are at match point.
  • Matches will be played weekly!
  • No EX characters (obviously)

Signups will be open until Saturday, November 2nd at 11:59 PM UTC, with opening round conversations going out the next day. Confirm your signup, or feel free to ask any questions you may have here.

Participants
  1. vengefulpickle
  2. ArthurWynne
  3. Nopethebard
  4. mysticjuicer
  5. Castanietzsche
  6. Hobusu
  7. Caralad
  8. undergroundmonorail
  9. Ivan
  10. CKR
  11. Legion
  12. PumpedAaron
4 Likes

I’m game, as usual.

6 Likes

Here to play.

5 Likes

Put me in coach!

5 Likes

Count me in too ! :smiley:

5 Likes

I’m in! Maybe I’ll try some more characters now that I’ve had some success with ones other than DeGrey and Setsuki in the LLL tournament.

4 Likes

I remain at my standard state of being. Aka in.

5 Likes

Never done this before but I’m game.

9 Likes

Welcome to the Arena.

2 Likes

Good old classic. Put me in.

5 Likes

I am in. All I want for Christmas is a vanilla sundae.

5 Likes

count me in.

4 Likes

Alrught lets Go, HARUMPH :triumph:

3 Likes

And we’re off! Bracket is posted here: Vanilla Sundae - Challonge

Best of luck, everyone!

1 Like

@Castanietzsche 4-2 @vengefulpickle
:onimaru: :psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:onimaru: :psfist::pschip::argagarg:
:onimaru: :pschip::psfist::argagarg:
:quince: :pschip::psfist::argagarg:
:quince: :psfist::pschip::argagarg:
:quince: :psfist::pschip::bbb:

very tense and tight games, I really had fun tonight !
thanks for the match mate !

2 Likes

ArthurWynne vs @Hobusu

:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :degrey: I have AAA in my opening hand, but I never get more than one attached block. Nevertheless Troq keeps up with deGrey, trading damage back and forth until the endgame sequence: 27 vs 29 HP, Eagle Totem undercuts Pilebunker, Troq gets thrown but stays alive with a Joker, wakes up with a Q for the win.

:troq: :knockdown: :psfist: :degrey: Hobusu adjusts and completely wrecks the bull, wins with 70 HP remaining.

:zane: :psfist: :knockdown: :degrey: deGrey gets the best of the early game, takes me to 52 HP before I land a hit. But oh, those hits. Two combat wins later, deGrey is at 40. From there, not even losing both my jokers to Shenanigans can derail the Zane Train.

:zane: :psfist: :knockdown: :onimaru: This game I draw both my jokers early, and heaps of good attacks - so of course the game comes down to the wire. But in the end, Oni has a 1-card hand and nothing he can do is all that scary, so he dies.

:zane: :knockdown: :psfist: :onimaru: A brawl and a half. Comes down to 3 hp vs 3 hp, 3 cards vs 4 in hand, Oni’s 9-throw barely outspeeds mine. :joy:

:argagarg: :psfist: :knockdown: :onimaru: The curse descends.

Final result, 4-2 to ArthurWynne

4 Likes

Nopethebard v Ivan
0-4
:chibimenelker: < :chibigeiger:
Couldn’t really get anything going and Time Stop didn’t let me build a hand either
:chibimenelker: < :chibigeiger:
Came close but Geiger damage won out
:chibiargagarg: < :chibigeiger:
My attempt to counterpick Geiger fails.
:chibisetsuki: < :chibigeiger:
Traded Q with Cycloid. Otherwise more of the same

This was a curbstomp. I’m looking forward to 19XX significantly more than I was. Nevertheless, you won fair and square Ivan. That’s probably just the salt talking. Good luck in your future matches!

3 Likes

I heard you say you struggle against geiger. I suggest you focusing on finding a proper CP. My best suggestions are degrey and zane.

2 Likes

The data suggests that Menelker isn’t a bad CP for Geiger, but if it’s a MU you struggle with, I would second Legion’s suggestions.

2 Likes

Pumped Aaron vs @monorail
:valerie: :psfist: :setsuki:
:troq: :psfist::setsuki:
:troq: :psfist: :setsuki:
:valerie: :knockdown: :setsuki:
:troq: :psfist: :setsuki:

Pretty normal games all around. Most notably in the 3rd match I hit with Beast Unleashed! And in the 5th match, monorail nearly kills me, but sorta messed up the combo… I barely scrap by with 1 HP left, hitting with Eagle Totem and mixing up with Throw - Attack right after.

I do apologize for switching characters after winning at the start though. By the time I realized it, it was already too late. So, we played it out.

2 Likes