[Tournarment] IYL 8 - Complete

FYI, that’s right when work usually stops for me, but I’ma try to leave early to cast this. Please don’t start early?

5 Likes

ugh, forgot I have a 4:30pm call. I should be able to get out of it before 5pm, but I might cut it a bit close.

1 Like

No worries, I’m sure we can hold off a few minutes if need be

2 Likes

Ginorm vs @Castanietzsche Play-ins 8th Seed

:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:midori: :pschip: :psfist: :zane:

Ginorm wins 3-1!

I’m not going to review now, I’ll let @mysticjuicer and @migohunter do the talking on this one when it comes out. But I’ll need to do a hand review at some point which I might record.

Thanks for the game @Castanietzsche and a great couple of sets we’ve had recently!

10 Likes

Thank you too ! your Midori is awesome ! :smiley:

5 Likes

migohunter vs @Caralad

:jaina: :psfist: :pschip:: :troq:
:jaina: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
:menelker: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:menelker: :pschip: :psfist: :zane:
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:

Tournament life was decided on Jaina, and she pulled through for me. GGs man. POV finished processing as well so I’ll attach it to this post.

First time ever reaching IYL semifinals, I’m stoked

8 Likes

Holy shit that set was exactly as hype as I would’ve expected it to be. also @mysticjuicer get me in the booth with @cpat also for the semis+ LFG

4 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 1 Southpaw Hare

:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:

ggs Southpaw! super super tense set - way closer than the score indicates

9 Likes

wow @mysticjuicer vs @migohunter semis, the hype just keeps getting hyper!

5 Likes

Gingivitusks v. @MR75
4 - 1
Gingi wins!

:onimaru::psfist::pschip::grave:
:onimaru::pschip::psfist::grave:

Most every match was very close and very tense. Game 1 I had to bluff against a TPoS with a known joker in my hand to pull it off. Game 3 saw 2 TPoS dodged into, and almost every match had one successful TPoS. I believe it was Game 4 where we almost went to a timer play.

Very fun to play against you. I feel like we have similar playstyles. I respected your Grave too much to try for a mirror. Hope to play against you again soon.

6 Likes

Very well played: I feel quite comfortable in Grave-Oni MU, but you shown no mercy!

I got a time out on that game one bluff vs known TPoS (but it was my fault, I let timer running too much in previous turns): I normally like to try TPoS into FD, exactly for that mind game “you know I have TPoS and you know I have Joker” (and moreover it wasn’t lethal for you, so another mind game :wink: ).

Your hand management was prefect, not mentioning all right time’s 10’s bonks I’ve eaten :rofl:

Congrats and best luck for semifinal!

5 Likes

ahh that makes sense. Yea your joker reads were very good. I think the most I ever prevented from one was 14 (K+). Thanks for the kind words.

3 Likes

mastrblastr 4 - 2 @Ginorm
@mysticjuicer and @migohunter casted watch it, so i’m gonna give much shorter updates each game

:zane: > :quince: he had a garbage hand, i had good reads and its a tough matchup
:zane: > :troq: I really threaded the needle here, very proud of this one.
:zane: < :troq: OUCH, got kind of bamboozled here, managed to sneak it to getting a chance for an anarchy cheese win at least.
:geiger: > :troq: what an insane game, all time crazy one for me it felt.
:geiger: < :setsuki: got bodied but got it down to a 50-50 cuz TD is really stupid, almost won having won combat literal only 1 time before the TD i believe
:onimaru: > :setsuki: I couldn’t not use oni in IYL playoffs after how much I’ve grown to love the char. II knew ginorm used to main him so I came in with a really heavy throw range and i caught dodges i think all 4 times i threw

Great games man, really really tense stuff.

7 Likes

also big shoutout to morningstar division all 3 out of 4 in the semis!

5 Likes

Yeah it was a fun match. It’s hard when you know your opponent is both super good and has a roster that makes it hard to use comfort picks. I’m sad about the Quince game. I thought it was a good surprise pick and one that covered my bases so I could CP or possibly sneak a Game 1. So no regrets with the pick, just wish the deck would’ve been a little more helpful so I could’ve made a game of it.

Game 2 was awesome. Wish I would’ve stuck with my normal gameplan, but getting as much exposure as I have, and giving you the respect that you wouldn’t let me get away with it just didn’t think it was going to work. Guess I should’ve been more disrespectful :slight_smile:

Game 4 (we don’t need to talk about Game 3) was a complete slaughter till your deck decided to allow me to hype it up on 4 HP, then 2. But those top deck reads are tough.

Game 6 was a great gameplan. What sealed it was both the timings where you hit my Dodges, and then when I did Attack your Block timing was also on point. At that point I was basically coin flipping when to Attack / Dodge cause your mix was so good.

Much respect, and a pleasure to duke it out with you! Good luck with the rest of the playoffs!

7 Likes

mastrblastr 4 - 1 @Gingivitusks
:degrey: < :grave: didn’t draw first throw until turn 6 died with known joker in hand and bluffing a face down
:degrey: > :grave: was BURIED early this game, played 3 rhetorics, first won combat clean. 2nd I gained 12 life, won combat and didn’t combo into his joker, and 3rd i gained 12 life won combat and didn’t combo into his joker. 24 life gain and depriving the cards let me fight back, keep him on very low hand and manage to win before he could assemble enough damage again
:degrey: > :grave: didn’t draw first throw until turn 6 or 7. game went down to absolute wire, highlight being i blue bursted TPOS after bluffing and him not playing when known he had it 2 times previously.
:degrey: > :grave: back and forth slug fest I get thrown like 6 or 7 times, blue burst twice when thrown just to soak up 12 and 13 dmg, comes down to single digit HP for both and I win the coin flip.
:degrey: > :grave: repeat everything said for previous game here, except on last turn i get to rudely have rhetoric up for the final turn after keeping him low hand putting him in close to a no win situation for the final combat.

People say this often but it usually isn’t meant, but these games were truly so much closer than the score indicates. I was 30 or more HP down I believe all 5 games, a couple of them 50 down. The set really ended up coming down to getting blue bursts correctly and not going into his jokers correctly. I had to guess right both sides pretty much every single time just to squeeze out these wins.

Really great games gingivitusks, and I look forward to more in the future.

P.S. All Morningstar finals LFG!

9 Likes

<3<3<3<3<3
Yea super fun games
<3<3<3<3<3
As I’m reviewing the match in my mind I’m already seeing some of the joker patterns that I fell into and missed. As you said, Jokers definitely seemed to be what decided most games (although Game 2 you just outplayed the poop outta me). Every loss this tournament has taught me so much, so guess that’s the lesson out of this game. Review my joker timing.

Glad to have joined this very fun community. I’m sure I’ll be in other tournaments but definitely taking a break, exhausted after how loooong this one went.

GGs. I’ll be watching the finals if possible

6 Likes

and hey… ya know… presumably… BOTH Yomi casters won’t be casting the finals so… if you want someone to banter with :wink: :wink: :wink:

5 Likes

Me vs mysticjuicer for IYL semis!

:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:

Got away with such a fortunate joker bluff on G1, that definitely helped me pull through the rest of the set. All the games were very close and competitive and neither party was out of it till the very end. I’ll edit this post later with my POV, and GGs again man! :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

There are very few losses in Yomi that I can say I’ve enjoyed. And I definitely would have preferred to win the set instead of lose it. But with complete honesty, that set was such a pleasure to play, that I don’t feel salty at all. Really great games and very well played migo. :slight_smile:

6 Likes