[Tournament] Yomi Olympic Carnival 2018 - Concluded

A great set with a fantastic player. However, two of our games ended out of nowhere, both of which he was off to a fast start. I’ve never seen that happen before but I wanna mention it because there’s a good chance I would have lost without them. Moving on to the results…

:geiger: :pschip: :psfist: :vendetta:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
:geiger: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :bbb: This one was awful. Had me in range most of the game.
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :menelker: Got him to about half with two Ks, then missed an A, after which he trashes half my As and all my Ks lol. He dominates and gets me down to low health. I used 3 entangling vines to bring him to 16. I win the last decisive combats. Much Rook hype.

Seriously though @Copper8642 thanks for 5 fantastic games! Also @Bryce_The_Rice we gotta keep the two Rooks in the tournament XD

9 Likes

Fivec 3-2 @vengefulpickle

:troq: < :vendetta:
:setsuki: > :bbb:
:geiger: < :bbb:
:geiger: > :persephone:
:troq: > :persephone:

Yikes, close set, ggs. I guess you’re not supposed to go to one card against Persephone, huh? Lucky to get out of this one with a set win.

7 Likes

guys, since as a spectator i noticed that many, even the players, often had to ask for the stables, i suggest naming the room accordingly, like i do.
Ad es, yesterday against MR my room was named:
YOC’18:Legion(Gra,Gei,Val)vsMR(Gra,Men,Gwen)
just my 2 cents, mates!

11 Likes

Utralaw 3-1 @Attilian

:menelker::psfist::pschip::degrey:
:onimaru::psfist::pschip::degrey:
:chibitroq::pschip::psfist::lum:
:troq::psfist::pschip::degrey:

GGS Attilian i was luckier today and got some big hits in! That Lum game was my first “timer” lost ever also hype ending! Hope to play again soon.

6 Likes

Oh, it looks like neither @Fluffiness nor I reported on our match yesterday. Let’s see if I remember correctly…

:chibionimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :gwen:
:chibidegrey: :pschip: :psfist: :zane:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :chibipersephone:
:chibidegrey: :pschip: :psfist: :persephone:

Fluffiness wins 3-1

8 Likes

Indeed, thanks for giving me a run for my poker chips! I was pretty determined to uh, get used to using Zane, but, as one should expect, that ~blew up in my face.~ (womp womp) Good luck with the rest of the tournament, and hopefully you’ll see the full panda unleashed some day! :wink: :chibilum:

5 Likes

Fenix (US Midwest) vs. @Niijima-san (Mother Russia)

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :menelker:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: (win by forfeit)

Fenix wins 3-0

6 Likes

Ivan 3 - 0 mysticjuicer

:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: really crazy comeback by Ivan
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru: 4 Midori queens in the top 15 cards, I think? really rough match
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: rushed down

wp Ivan!

9 Likes

Winners Round 3

Beanbean Kingdom vs USA
(Zqxx vs @SouthpawHare)

3-0

:setsuki::psfist::pschip::zane:
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::zane:
:midori::psfist::pschip::zane:

Each of these games was super close! This whole set had me biting my nails constantly. Really well played by @SouthpawHare!

The last game was especially crazy. It was leaning in SPH’s favor until he C&D’s my mediocre hand, letting me draw into a much more useful set of cards. I proceed to take the life lead, so he PU’s for several aces. We go blodge/blodge for several turns, playing chicken, until I finally blink and play an attack… walking right into a raw Anarchy. Now on 9 life to his 10, we both blodge a bit more until I clinch the game with a top deck dQ. I was definitely sweating until the very last combat!

We’ve almost reached the semi-finals! Are you proud of us, your majesties Queen Bean and Prince Peasley?

9 Likes

Legion (Wallachia) vs @Ivan (Bulgaria)

I win 3-0

:valerie::psfist::pschip::jaina: Here I have a strong start (T6J++) and Ivan too! (replies with T6AA) The game goes down to the wire, a bold throw closes the game. If my Q and his AA clashed would have been DKO
:grave::psfist::pschip::degrey: Here I play a throw happy grave that protects his throw with well timed pokes.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::degrey: Very tense game, i had quite the HP lead but against degrammage is not that much. I got both jokers, ivan had really bad luck, not even 1 :frowning:

EDIT: Special thanks to @JonnyD our eternal struggle Val/Jaina is my main source of knowledge of this MU and the reason why I have a good winrate against Jaina. Miss you, mate.

Respect and ggs mate! Good luck in the rest of the tourney.

10 Likes

R2L

MR (Liguria) vs @Fluffiness (???)

:gwen::psfist::pschip::gwen: fast game (well we are gwen!) . Slaps from both sides: I made some initial good dmg, then got smacked, then I closed the game with a Q vs his throw

:grave::psfist::pschip:::gwen: quite balanced game. I got smashed by a Dreadlands Portal that took me 16hp vs 27. Next turn T throw vs his T block, brought inertia on my side

:menelker::psfist::pschip::zane: I started with a very good hand and hit his throw with 456A+ (bQ retrieved), then Zane did Zane’s things but luckly not enough.

GGs!

See you soon!

6 Likes

Utralaw 3-2 @Leontes

:menelker::pschip::psfist::codexgrave: Got cream really fast over in less than 5 min
:menelker::psfist::pschip::menelker: This one i finally got my engine going (also was happy not to see grave anymore in this match)
:codextroq::psfist::pschip::menelker: i got a big lead in this one but Leontes was able to almost bring it back but i was lucky most of his combat win late game did not convert to any “big” damage.
:onimaru::pschip::psfist::chibimidori: PREFECT!!! The man lives up to his reputation!
:onimaru::psfist::pschip::menelker: This one was very back and forth he put early pressure and i came back with some good FA combat wins. Last two combat i FA into two jack leaving me with two cards in hand him at 10 health with a full hand of cards and knock down. Then we both Q each other but i get black Q and toss my last card now hand less. Next i got lucky and got an 8 throw into his last dodge and then drew into a Q to checkmate his whole hand. (Leontes said he would have dodge all day too if he didn’t end up throwing his last 3 away at the end there)

GGS Leontes i just wanted to say sorry for keeping you waiting i know you must have a busy schedule my most sincere apologize.
That aside we had some fun in these 5 matches. i finally get one over you after so many lost to you in IYL.
im sure we will be in the same pool again this year :slight_smile:

10 Likes

This was my favorite loss all year! Sometimes I succumb to extreme salt but I felt really good about this one seeing how good the Grave/Midori games went. Menelker is a swingy bastard and lost me all my games, but they were all close and I could have stolen the entire set on a 50/50 each time, haha.

And of course I’m proud of the perfect against Onimaru. The important thing was that turn 1 I landed a 5 attack into his T attack, and I comboed it into… hQ?! Against Onimaru you actually have fewer opportunities than you think to land dQ. In the late game especially, the only thing it’s gonna beat is a Dodge/Throw, which regular Throw also beats (and beats Block, too of course), so it’s actually correct to get the damage out whenever possible. Comboing into it also puts a Q in your discard pile to make the Block side of your Dragon Form mixup better. Having done that, I basically had 1 less combat to win at the end because I put him at -1 HP. Nice!

Great games @UTRALAW.

8 Likes

Caralad vs @FaceOnMars

:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :gwen:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:

Caralad wins 3-0

GGs FaceOnMars. The Degrey game was painfully close. Good luck in IYL.

5 Likes

I’ve been dispatched! I would lick my wounds but I can’t reach my mangina.

GGs. WP

2 Likes

CKR over @HolyTyrant27 3-0

:zane: > :rook:
:setsuki: > :rook:
:onimaru: > :geiger:

ggs.

3 Likes

vengefulpickle over @ClanNatioy 3-2

:vendetta: < :troq: This one went about how you’d expect from the matchup numbers
:persephone: < :midori: The dragon pretty handily dispatched the demon
:persephone: > :grave: It came down to 10-15, with a known On Your Knees on my end, and I believe at least one more know A on @ClanNatioy’s. I guessed right, dodged the Q, and played AA into 2 jokers in the discard.
:bbb: > :grave: I got to range early, and picked up a boatload of cards, and was able to parley them into a nice life lead. @ClanNatioy brought it back from a 60-10 advantage on my end down to 14-10. We both hit with small damage, and then I won the 7-2 hp coinflip.
:vendetta: > :grave: I got some nice Ks in, and still end up at an 18-24 life deficit. I close it out by duffing a throw with a surgical strike.

Good games, @ClanNatioy. The comeback was real…ly tenuous. The set could have gone the other way at basically any point along the way.

8 Likes

Bomber678 3 - 1 flagrantangles

:rook::pscrash::pschip::geiger: I mostly kept in control of this one, but it got a bit scary towards the end. I drew the right suit and went hard on rock armour backed 10, but it hit a throw so all was well.
:menelker::pschip::pscrash::quince: I thought I was doing ok here, but then I guessed wrong and ate 30, then guessed REALLY wrong and ate 22. Menelker is a low life character.
:zane::pscrash::pschip::geiger: Zane so wacky and random. He tried to play Ryker ball with me, but I just threw him anyway. He nearly called me out hard with a 5 attack at the end, but I hard called him out with a J to knock off his scary TD.
:menelker::pscrash::pschip::onimaru: I knew if I blocked a lot and built a hand I should win. That was the case. I did get hit for some big damage first though.

GGs my dude. Last time we fought you creamed me with Quince. If you could’ve kept playing him, the same could’ve easily happened again.

11 Likes

Fivec 3-0 ArthurWynne

:geiger: > :argagarg:
:troq: > :gloria:
:setsuki: > :jaina:

The late asshole wins again! Completely forgot about the match and made Arthur wait 45 min :(. Sorry! :grimacing:

5 Likes

Well, that was a slaughter.

I wasn’t expecting to win this match (I had basically no good match-ups any way you slice it, and also, @Fivec) but I thought I could at least get on the board. The first match was pretty close but then I just fell apart really.

4 Likes