[Tournament] Yomi Olympic Carnival 2018 - Concluded

Norway vs Mexico

ArthurWynne vs Leontes

:gloria: :psfist: :knockdown: :grave: Gloria’s streak of great draws continues. I have an 44QKKK* or something like that in my opening hand and draw into all three of the other aces over the course of the game. Lots of dodging and facedowns - Leontes has pretty much known TPoS for most of the game, but never plays it, figuring I won’t be enough of a goon to attack into it. But he overestimates me!

:jaina: :psfist: :knockdown: :menelker: Leontes removes all of my aces by turn 3. I go down to 4 cards in hand as we trade damage pretty evenly, then he plays bKbKbJ - but into a blue burst, leaving me with a 3-card hand. Somehow I proceed to topdeck everything I need and goon my way into another victory.

:argagarg: :psfist: :knockdown: :midori: Midori has early Dragon Form into Kings and i spend the early game getting thrown around a lot, getting down to 35 life. But after he normal throws me and leaves Dragon Form I have a hand full of Jacks and elect to play Aggrogarg. I never land a Bubble Shield or a Blowfish Spikes, but have 10* to counter all his 2s and enough face cards to play a relentless offensive range, make up the life deficit, then back off a bit and win a Curse endgame despite (because of?) miscounting his damage potential and figuring there’s no way he’ll throw me.

Good games Leontes, that was exciting!

6 Likes

Me vs. Attilian

Russia vs. Ireland

:chibizane: :psfist::pschip: :chibizane: Russian science create clone of famous athlete to get around Olympic ban. Tragically led to accidental murder to dispose of evidence
:chibigeiger: :psfist::pschip: :chibizane: Russian science once again proves superiority, moon landing be damned
:chibimenelker: :pschip::psfist: :chibizane: Testing in locker room confirm judge suspicion that shirtless dragon was perhaps not female figure skater
:menelker: :psfist::pschip: :chibidegrey: Skiing is dangerous sport, sometimes decapitations?

12 Likes

Me (USA) vs @Tumbles (Canada)

:vendetta::pschip::psfist::gloria: Started off with a nice first turn K-throw, but Gloria rolled it right back with some nice reads before I could get any more of the right tools in my hand.
:persephone::knockdown::knockdown::argagarg: The fish got the mistress down to 9 health early, and then I was able to walk it back with a series of On Your Knees enders to 9-3, only to end with a Q-AA clash for the double KO
:persephone::psfist::pschip::argagarg: Arg kept the life lead nearly the whole game, until a 7 health Pers was able to fraud out the win with a stupid greedy 2 crossup against a hand with 3 known aces.
:bbb::psfist::pschip::argagarg: This was @Tumbles first BBB experience, I think. Life totals were close the whole way, but I was able to close it out with a dodge into AA in the end. (I also want to thank @Tumbles for putting up with a epic length pause while my 6-month-old was refusing to go to sleep).
:vendetta::psfist::pschip::argagarg: I drew into hidden AA within the first few turns, and landed K throw against Bubble Shield attempts twice early. Suffering from no shortage of tools, I took it with dodge into K.

Good games, @Tumbles! Best of luck in the rest of your run!

4 Likes

Legion (Castlevania) vs @desiderata (USA)

i win 3-0

:grave::psfist::pschip::midori: Here i used some Js to put early pressure, then sneak a dodge follow up almost silent TPOS (only 1 ace known)
:valerie::psfist::pschip::midori: Here i had a bad starting hand, and desiderata made it worse by throwing me relentlessy. Really a close game.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::degrey: a low hand TD closed the deal. Desiderata here had really bad luck not getting a single 7.

respect and ggs man. Best luck in the rest of the tourney

7 Likes

Thanks Legion.

:geiger::psfist::pschip::degrey: a low hand TD closed the deal. Desiderata here had really bad luck not getting a single 7.

Actually, I was holding a 7, but I was too scared to use it. You demonstrated that you weren’t afraid to Attack into a Troublesome Rhetoric-forbidden attack, so I thought you’d outspeed a 7-attack/throw of mine as well.

I know you’re a top tier player, so I wasn’t expecting to win. But, it was fun regardless. Thanks, and good games! Good luck in the rest of the tourney.

4 Likes

Fivec 3-1 @MadKing

:geiger: < :geiger:
:geiger: > :bbb:
:setsuki: > :bbb:
:troq: > :bbb:

Ggs. Troq-BBB 5.5 Troq?!?!

6 Likes

Ivan vs lum_at_first_sight - 3:1
:jaina::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:degrey::pschip::psfist::setsuki:
:midori::psfist::pschip::lum:
:degrey::psfist::pschip::lum:
Great set. GL in the rest of the tournament.

7 Likes

Bomber678 3 - 2 Desiderata
:rook::pschip::pscrash::argagarg: Just arg things. I die.
:menelker::pscrash::pschip::midori: Three silent aces and one straight equals one very deadstruck dragon.
:zane::pscrash::pschip::midori: Shenans wasn’t kind but Zane does Zane things.
:rook::pschip::pscrash::degrey: Played reasonably well, sitting on a nice life lead. Then get hit for 31, next turn give him 12, then get hit for 24. Dead.
:rook::pscrash::pschip::midori: 3 Ks hit in first three turns.

8 Likes

Fenix (US Midwest) vs. @MysticDeadman (Nerdo Crombezia)

:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru:
:menelker: :pschip: :psfist: :gwen:
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru:

Fenix wins 3-1

GGs

5 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @Caralad

:zane: :psfist::pschip: :troq:
:bbb: :pschip::psfist: :zane:
:bbb: :pschip::psfist: :degrey:
:bbb: :psfist::pschip: :troq:
:gloria: :psfist::pschip: :troq:

Southpaw Hare 3 - 2 Caralad
Southpaw Hare wins!

7 Likes

Me vs CKR

Mother Russia vs USA

:chibizane: :psfist::pschip: :chibisetsuki: Shaun White not here, so Russia will take half pipe medal
:chibimenelker: :psfist::pschip: :chibisetsuki: Snow wrestling new Olympic event. Event was added after Russia whined for much long time that all its Siberian bear grapplers wasting lives
:chibigeiger: :psfist::pschip: :chibizane: cross country all about endurance. And decapitation. Whoops!

In all seriousness I’m sorry for showing up late then running a train. I feel like it’s always the rude late person who ends up winning, in a blow to honorable poeople everywhere.

9 Likes

I did not mind you being late. @ArthurWynne helped me to pass the time. That second game with Setsuki will bother me for awhile. I made a costly hand management error. The best man won on this day. Next time may be different. I plan on resetting the bracket, so you better be there when I arrive. Good luck.

6 Likes

Winners Round 2

The Beanbean Kingdom vs Cyador, Empire of Light
(Zqxx v @flagrantangles)

3-1

:setsuki::psfist::pschip::quince: A perfect! In unrelated news, ninjas have been banned from Flagstone.

:argagarg::pschip::psfist::quince: A total squash match! In unrelated news, Quince is no longer invited over to poker pandante night with :argagarg: and :lum:.

:midori::psfist::pschip::geiger: “If you believe hard enough, any theoretical MU advantage is just that: theoretical.” —Ancient dragon proverb

:argagarg::psfist::pschip::geiger: Playing like an absolute GOON steals me a game (and the set!).

Really fun set!

10 Likes

Bob199 2 < 3 ClanNatioy

:zane: > :troq:
:valerie: < :troq:
:valerie: > :midori:
:argagarg: < :midori:
:argagarg: < :grave:

7 Likes

I’m happy my Quince vs Arg game remains potent. My other characters could use some work, however. :wink:

3 Likes

Legion vs @MR75

I win 3-2

Guys, this time i was humbled down big time, let’s review this games:

:valerie::psfist::pschip::menelker: Here i was dominant, got hit only once by a BC dodge follow up. I am confident in this MU.
:grave::pschip::psfist::gwen: Here MR plays splendidly while i am just terribad :sob: I had tpos in hand all the time but scared to play it. i get wrecked
:grave::pschip::psfist::grave: Keep playing poorly, and no throws makes thing even worst. MR’s silent TPOS puts me outta my misery
:grave::psfist::pschip::menelker: Here i start following my gut, again, and get dominant, only 1 time chip dmg.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::menelker: Here i make a good opening, then get surprised by MR super good hand and gutsy throws. Back and forth and down to the wire. I only win by following my damn gut. Everytime i start second guessing it, i have tons of trouble, pls always remember to follow your goddamn instinct man!

Respect and ggs and really WP MR. You have improved your throw range and game overall by leaps and bounds!

EDIT: I hope that this is the time i finally learn my damn lesson, i MUST follow my sixth sense!

6 Likes

Thanks mate!

Sincerely I was expecting to lose 3-0, so I’m quite satisfied :smile:.

I only regret that I lost a rare occasion! I checked our replay and surely your Geiger had really bad hands: damn me for not having caught the chance! (surely I misplayed to oblivion your last K remaining with two Jokers, I had to keep that block/throw!!)

Anyway it was fun! and a pleasure as always!

Best of luck in the rest of the tourney!

4 Likes
3 Likes

FaceOnMars vs. lum_at_1st_sight

:gwen: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:

Thanks for a fun set! I wish I could have played against your favorite character. I can’t chat much while I’m playing but I really enjoy all the banter. Hope to play you again soon.

10 Likes

@Thelo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

4 Likes