[Tournament] Yomi Olympic Carnival 2018 - Concluded

R4L

MR (Liguria) vs @Niijima-san (Mother Russia) 3-2

:gwen::pschip::psfist::menelker:
I landed at once a throw–>AA and nothing else. Got my As oblivioned and bonecracked to death…

:gwen::psfist::pschip::geiger:
I found a low fueled Geiger here. No face cards, no Jokers, few As. And Gwen was lethal

:grave::pschip::psfist::zane:
Got jokered my 1st turn KA, then I played too scary to be thrown and ran into his dodge into K, again and again and again

:grave::psfist::pschip::geiger:
Got a great lifelead and I took him down to magic pixel (60hp my side), with three Qs in my deck yet: then I waited in vain them…but finally managed to dodge his AA (15hp left…)

:menelker::psfist::pschip::geiger:
He took me down very fast to 33hp, then I managed to land some bQ to lower his hand and two consecutive BC, and he surely wasn’t lucky on topdeck no block.

Great set! GGs

6 Likes

Way to be, Geiger. Way to be.

3 Likes

Legion vs @FenixOfTheAshes
I lose 2-3
:valerie::psfist::pschip::onimaru:
:grave::psfist::pschip: :menelker:
:geiger::pschip::psfist::menelker::degrey::onimaru: ( in this order)

My downfall was game 3 where my hand started terribad and once i got into the mene vortex there was no way out. Game 4 also the hand was irredeemable and i poked too little, game 5 the hand was good but i let the game slip out of my hands taking too many bad decisions.
Getting only 1 jokerin 5 whole games did not help.
Play scared, lose scared.
Respect and ggs mate.

8 Likes

I skimmed the tapes to confirm, and it seems I did not draw even one Joker in the set :open_mouth: Was a hell of a set. I got steamrolled in games 1 and 2. Definitely could have used a Joker for some big Val combos and a very early TPoS. I was 2 games down and felt like I had little to lose so played a bit looser in the last 3 games. Legion played an aggressive Geiger but I managed to end TD before big damage could come out, and was able to take the match.

Thanks for reporting I had something to do right after, and GGs!

7 Likes

Top 8: Caralad vs @CKR

:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :onimaru:
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:

Caralad wins by the skin of his teeth, 3-2

GG’s CKR. I felt for sure you had my number.

5 Likes

R5L

MR (Liguria) vs @SouthpawHare ( USA) 3-0

:gwen::psfist::pschip::bbb:
I took a fast lifelead landing some Gwen dmg/straight and took him down to 12hp. Then he set range for a scary comeback, but I managed a GB get out and closed with a Dreadlands Portal

:grave::psfist::pschip::gloria:
Here he took lifelead, and for half game I couldn’t touch him… then I managed to land some dmg and topdeck my 3rd Q for KO.

:menelker::psfist::pschip::gloria:
Great draws on my side. I started with some black cards in hand and managed to land a 29 dmg combo with bK and bJ, lowering his hands and low hand Gloria couldn’t afford on her tools.

Respect and GGs!

8 Likes

Caralad vs @Zqxx

:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:

Caralad wins 3-0

GG’s Zqxx. I guess your feeling before the game was right.

4 Likes

Just as a heads up for those who are waiting with bated breath for the finals: @MR75 and @Fivec have been having epic scheduling difficulties, but are hoping to get their game played this coming weekend (hopefully followed shortly by the match with @Caralad).

8 Likes

Fivec 3-2 MR

:geiger: > :gwen:
:troq: < :gwen:
:troq: > :grave:
:setsuki: < :grave:
:setsuki: > :menelker:

Fun back and forth match up. Sorry it took so long to get played!

5 Likes

Fivec 3-2 @Caralad

:troq: > :degrey:
:geiger: < :zane: (fuck Zane)
:geiger: > :troq: (not a bad MU when Geiger draws ALL the time spirals)
:setsuki: < :troq: (tfw when your opponent is at 13 HP, you have 6 cards in hand after SOTF and you can’t kill)
:setsuki: > :degrey: (PERFECT)

Ggs.

6 Likes

Sad to say, but @Legion had to drop out. Grand finals will be between @FenixOfTheAshes and @Fivec.

Grand Finals

@FenixOfTheAshes (US Midwest) vs. @Fivec (USA)

:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :troq:
:menelker: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
:menelker: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:

Fivec pulled off one hell of a bracket reset,

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :troq:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:

but I took a convincing win in the second set!

The US Midwest wins! ggs Fivec, I had a lot of fun and hope you did too.

Really enjoyed this tournament, thanks to @vengefulpickle for running this tourney (and others) so smoothly. This format is one of my favorites for sure. I find that it’s easier to justify playing characters who are difficult to make work in standard CP, without actually banning any characters.

There were a lot of ups and downs, but the most tense matches I played (aside from this one) would have to be my first round match against @Bob199 and Winner’s Finals against @Legion. In both of those sets, I went down two games before making a straight 3 game comeback!

This was my first tourney since returning from hiatus. Although a lot of the OGs have vanished and some new faces have shown up, I’m happy to see that Yomi still has a welcoming and engaged community. :slight_smile: Also I must give a shoutout to @cpat for training me in anti-Setsuki tech. The c in cpat does indeed stand for coach. :wink:

11 Likes

I had a joker in the Troq-Menelker game and I didn’t play it…

Ggs. I can’t think for more than an hour at a time.

6 Likes

Congratulations, @FenixOfTheAshes!

This concludes the Yomi Olympic Carnival 2018. Thanks everyone for making it such a fun one!

8 Likes

Thanks for putting on a great event!

3 Likes

Thanks for another great and well ran Tournament!

3 Likes

Please finish the challonge bracket :frowning:

1 Like

Oops! Done!

5 Likes