[Tournament] XCAFS20 - eXperimental Codex Asynchronous Fall Swiss - Sign-up / tracker thread!

A question regarding a card I want to use in my current game against Bomber which reveals information just in the asking

not for Bomber

If I have two sentries will they be able to block different damages or do they both jump to block the same point of dmg?
Now I think about it, I think they may just block the same dmg but I could also buy that once one sentry is blocking a particular point of dmg it is no longer “damage … that would be dealt to one of your patrollers”
I don’t know what Bomber would specifically do with the information that there’s a slightly higher chance of me having teched two sentries but it’s a tourney so I’m cagey xd

Also not for Bomber

Since it’s active player’s choice, it’s highly likely that your opponent would choose to have your Sentries block the same damage, unless they have a reason to reduce the damage dealt.

Still not for Bomber

It depends on whether the choice of damage is made when Sentry’s ability enters the queue or resolves. If the former, active player could choose the same point of damage for both and the second would fizzle. If the latter, the first ability would prevent one point of damage, and that point of damage would no longer exist when the second ability resolved, so it would only be able to choose from any other points of damage done at the same time (if any). If I were designing the ability, I’d want it to work like the latter.

Unrelated issue: Dreamscape originally didn’t affect tech III units, but the rework changes the behavior from “all units” (which it never was) to “up to 5 units” (not limited by tech level). This raises the question, can the reworked Dreamscape make tech III units Illusions?

Yeah, new dreamscape can affect tech 3 units as written.

And I think your question has been addressed @dwarddd though I do wish we would have chosen different wording to have it work the better way for the card you’re asking about. Oh well

1 Like

what the hell is going on in this thread

3 Likes
Not for bomber

Sentry prevents “the first point”

This interaction is unchanged from the normal rules:
Rules Questions thread - #3107 by sharpobject

3 Likes

This is now the rules question thread @Bryce_The_Rice XD /s

No, there’s a “new rules” question regarding your matchup w/ dwarddd, where he doesn’t want to reveal his tech choices to you but wants clarity

1 Like

So, how could sentry be reworded, so 2 sentries stack? Just adding the words, “2 sentries abilities stack” might be kludge.

Could be “prevent first point of damage not prevented from another source”?

Or “Whenever damage would be dealt to your patroller(s), prevent one of that damage. Once-per-turn.” (Though maybe “the active player prevents” would be better, since randomizing the damage prevention could be awkward in some cases… easier to just let the attacker choose, I think.)

2 Likes

Big ups to everyone for finishing games in a timely fashion, you’re making my job easy this time around (it also feels way easier when we’re not doing car/driver and other weird matchmaking nonsense, lol)

Thanks for playing to @Bryce_The_Rice and @CarpeGuitarrem who have now been eliminated, appreciate you both joining the tourney and better luck next time!

With that, on to round 5, where @EricF has drawn the bye and Zhav has exhausted the pool of nearest his record, so condolences to Charnel for being next closest in record. Two or three more eliminations will occur this round, GL HF ALL!

XCAFS20 Round 5

1. [XCAFS20] Round5: charnel_mouse [Balance]/Blood/Strength vs zhavier [Balance/Feral]/Blood
  2. [XCAFS20] Round5: bansa [Law]/Peace/Finesse vs dwarddd MonoPurple
  3. [XCAFS20] Round5: FrozenStorm [Bashing]/Discipline/Ninjutsu vs codexnewb [Future]/Peace/Truth
  4. [XCAFS20] Round5: James MonoBlue vs Nekoatl [Growth]/Strength/Truth
  5. EricF (bye)

Eliminated: Bomber678, CarpeGuitarrem

Reminder that full standings can be seen on this tracking spreadsheet

3 Likes

Fine by me, I was hoping to survive long enough to see our decks face each other :smiley:

1 Like

There’s a certain poetic symmetry in the double elimination of both Bashing-Discipline-Fires

2 Likes

Turns out, it’s not a good deck

2 Likes

I find it interesting how zhavier and bansa are both undefeated except for their game against each other.

Blood has been really good for me, but balance overall has been excellent for both of us.

1 Like

Is it Balance really, or Green Starter? Feels like the more impactful buffs were the starter ones but I haven’t followed all the games super close

I think zhavier meant the re-balance in general, bansa isn’t using Balance.

2 Likes

Yea, that wasn’t really clear, heh.

1 Like

Big ups again to everyone for being swift in resolving games and remembering to tag me, we are on to round 6!

First off thanks to @codexnewb and @James, who we must say goodbye to this round; I enjoyed seeing Purple / Peace and Mono Blue in this new balance format!

We’re down to 7 combatants, an odd number, which means @charnel_mouse has drawn the bye for this round.

Here are the rest of the matchups (which should not be rematches and should be balancing P1/2 splits), GL HF ALL!

XCAFS20 Round 6

1. [XCAFS20] Round6: EricF [Past]/Peace/Truth vs zhavier [Balance/Feral]/Blood
  2. [XCAFS20] Round6: dwarddd MonoPurple vs FrozenStorm [Bashing]/Discipline/Ninjutsu
  3. [XCAFS20] Round6: Nekoatl [Growth]/Strength/Truth vs bansa [Law]/Peace/Finesse
  4. charnel_mouse (bye)
1 Like