[Tournament] Single Character Showdown 5: Mistress Persephone - Signups Open Until Feb 1

You mean a bit like that tourny I ran where you had a CHOICE between Rook and BBB?

5 Likes

Ivan vs Arthur Wynne - 4:1
GGs

2 Likes

But what were the matchups?

6 Likes

Caralad vs @Castanietzsche

Currently 1-0 to Caralad. We will recommence tomorrow.

2 Likes

R1, variable vs. @darkness

:persephone::pscrash::pschip::chibipersephone:: Qs seem good in this MU.
:chibipersephone::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::chibipersephone:: The double KO.
:persephone::pscrash::pschip::chibipersephone:: Qs are still good, especially against naughty mistresses.
:persephone::pscrash::pschip::chibipersephone:: Qs, while good, often < any random dodge.
:persephone::pscrash::pschip::chibipersephone:: The turn one Mistress’s Command actually worked! That’s handy! ^^

variable wins, 4-0! (With one double KO in the mix!)

Thank you for playing, darkness! Especially on such short notice today! This set was MUCH MORE back-and-fourth than the results show! It’s awesome to see you joining your first Yomi tournament! I hope to see you more in tournaments in the future! Best of luck with Yomi, Fantasy Strike, and everything~ :smiley_cat:

And, special shout-out time…!

This post was inspired by the legend called @Fluffiness. :o

3 Likes

Caralad vs @Castanietzsche

:psfist: :pschip:
:pschip: :psfist:

Caralad wins 4-2

5 Likes

Arthur Wynne vs @darkness

:persephone: :knockdown: :psfist: :persephone: @darkness went down to a very low hand but refused to relent! I was caught off guard by the aggression and thoroughly bamboozled.
:persephone: :psfist: :knockdown: :persephone: It looked like history was going to repeat itself, and this time we both went low! But I found some resources of my own and came out ahead in the late-game scramble.
:persephone: :psfist: :knockdown: :persephone: Vortex comeback from 6 HP!
:persephone: :psfist: :knockdown: I think @darkness might have been softlocked in this endgame - I kept playing AA but they never blocked.
:persephone: :psfist: :knockdown: :persephone: Long, tense game with a lot of back and forth. I was the first to get momentum, and in the end it looked a lot more decisive than it was.

Final result: 4-1 to ArthurWynne, some very good and close games!

5 Likes

I caught the first game there, at one point Darkness willingly went to topdeck mode iirc. I kept thinking ‘now is when they really get punished for this, right?’ but the mad man managed to close it out.

5 Likes

Yeah, that happened. Topdeck Perse lasted for 3 rounds IIRC. Without losing combat once!

2 Likes

On which note, how do people punish players on low hand? Several times I’ve had opponents dump their hand on combos, then as I fail to punish them for it, get out of the small hand after a few turns and essentually got free big damage early. I gather that I should throw more often to punish blocks and make high risk/payoff moves because I can’t take high damage, but it still seems they were usually only one or two right block/attacks from getting out without losing much.

3 Likes

low hand situations have the potential to snowball, but the pesky bugs know it. They’re going to be thinking really hard about how predictable a block is, and about how tempting efficient, neutral-game cards look. One topdecked neutral poke can equal one stalled turn… kinda. It often takes a few turns for the reality of a low hand to sink in. It takes a few turns for someone to play whatever decent cards they have left until their hand is truly dead.

There is a basic mixup at play here: block pokes to intensify the hand advantage or throw them (aka, the grappler playbook). The main advantage is that you are much more likely to get solid value from any combat win. Less likely to get dodged. Less likely to have your throw beaten by anything big. You’re probably best off treating them like their knocked down: a period of brief advantage where they may or may not act like a cornered rat, and if they play it right you have to accept that they recovered and revert to neutral.

5 Likes

Very detailed and helpful response, thank you!

2 Likes

Shax’s response is really good.

I would add that there’s some nuance depending on the character you’re playing, who you’re playing against, and where you HP total is at. Based on those factors, you either want to up your aggression, or reduce it.

If you have the resources you need in hand, and you benefit little from slowing the pace of the match, you should up your aggression: throw your opponent more often because they will be blocking more and if they manage to hit you it won’t be for much, play good starter attacks that would otherwise be riskier against an opponent who could punish them with strong combos. Your goal is to win combat as much as possible, because your opponent cannot rebuild a hand without winning combat with a block or normal attack, or tying combat with a block.

On the other hand, this is also a great opportunity to build your own hand with relatively little risk. This applies especially to grapplers, due to their Defense Mastery innate. Opponents on low hand against a grappler who is blocking 100% of the time can only build their hand by also blocking (barring special abilities). This is kind of analogous to Artosis’ advice in Star Craft - “when you’re ahead, get more ahead.” It may be weird to say that you’re ahead when behind on life, but that’s the reality for the grapplers in the cast, or characters who have a “value” based strategy vs. those with an RPS based strategy (where they are trying to achieve a higher percentage of lower damage combat wins).

6 Likes

One basic piece of advice for any type of “advantaged” position: the game doesn’t owe you shit. If the opponent knows the situation then they can just play around it. Welcome to Yomi town, where true checkmates are rare.

6 Likes

Persephone Showdown R2,
variable vs. @mysticjuicer:

:persephone::pscrash::pschip::chibipersephone:: I… won?
:persephone::pscrash::pschip::chibipersephone:: Twice??
:chibipersephone::pschip::pscrash::persephone:: Throw > The option to beat DP!
:chibipersephone::pschip::pscrash::persephone:: Throws are ban.
:chibipersephone::pschip::pscrash::persephone:: Shoryu doesn’t always do it!
:persephone::pscrash::pschip::chibipersephone:: Just throw, yo!
:persephone::pscrash::pschip::chibipersephone:: This game was weird… :o

variable wins, 4-3!

mysticjuicer, this was a ridiculously fun & skill-testing set! I barely had enough in the tank to overcome the challenge of playing you! I’m sorry that game seven wasn’t as enjoyable as the rest of them! I hope that I can perform even better in the future, because when you aren’t locked into Persephone mirrors you’re going to be just that much more of a threat! You have so much knowledge of Yomi, and your sharing of it on YouTube and here on the forums helped make this victory possible! So, thank you for all the resources you’ve shared, and thank you for playing! I’m looking forward to playing you again! :smiley_cat: <3

(…Okay, that’s probably a good length for a post-match speech…)

4 Likes

It was a fun set! Sorry I had to run right after it was over. I couldn’t keep my mental game up and kind of collapsed in the last match, but it was a good run until then. Looking forward to our next bout!

5 Likes

@Castanietzsche 4 - 1 @vengefulpickle
:persephone: :pschip: :psfist: :persephone: I played a throw/blodge range, very tight match !
:persephone: :psfist::pschip: :persephone: I got on low hand on early match but straights and dominance let me do that last AA - dodge into AA !
:persephone: :psfist::pschip: :persephone: lots of kds and dominance made the match
:persephone: :psfist::pschip: :persephone: tons of speed clash, very tight match !
:persephone: :psfist::pschip: :persephone: outsped a 2 with an AA. there were 2 Qs on bare your souls and I was low on cards so vengefulpickle couldn’t know I had that last reversal ahah

thanks mate, very exciting games ! :grin: I think you won most combats but that I was more damage efficient, I have to check replays thought !

1 Like

@Castanietzsche 4 - 1 @mysticjuicer
:persephone: :psfist::pschip: :persephone:
:persephone: :pschip: :psfist: :persephone:
:persephone: :psfist::pschip: :persephone: la remontada !
:persephone: :psfist::pschip: :persephone:
:persephone: :psfist::pschip: :persephone: scored the perfect but finished with 0 card in hand ahah

thanks for the games @mysticjuicer ! I really had fun today :grin:

4 Likes

I only wish I could have made it less fun for you. lol ggs

4 Likes

Caralad vs @variable

Caralad wins 4-1

3 Likes