[Tournament] Single Character Showdown 5: Mistress Persephone - Signups Open Until Feb 1

I don’t have a fancy drawing video like @snoc, but I rolled in up Persophone:

Signups will run until 23:59 UTC on Saturday, February 1st, with first matches sent out the next day.

You will have a week to play your matches, with the deadline being every Sunday at midnight, and conversations sent out by Monday at noon.

Hall of fame:

Rules:

• All players must only play Persephone.
  • Double elimination/round robin depending on signups.
  • Best of 7/first to 4.
  • Medium timer.
  • Rules enforced.
  • Double KO is a win for neither side and must be replayed.
  • Priority rules are as in the physical game (but not enforced in the client). The lower life player has priority, and may play abilities, or demand that the opponent plays abilities, first.
  • Playing ahead is allowed and encouraged, but be sure to include TOs in any scheduling conversations.
  • Scheduling conflicts and other contentious situations will be adjudicated by the TOs.
  • Be a good sport and have fun!

If the entry count is less than 8, the tournament will be a round robin format, and otherwise double elimination.

Entrants

1. vengefupickle
  2. ArthurWynne
  3. mysticjuicer
  4. Castanietzsche
  5. Caralad
  6. Shax
  7. Ivan
  8. Fluffiness
  9. darkness
  10. variable
5 Likes

Oh, very yes!

I love this mirror. :smile:

3 Likes

Definitely put me in. This is going to be awful… ly fun!

3 Likes

The twice reigning champion. You’re the man to beat!

3 Likes

6 Likes

Count me in ! :smiley:

2 Likes

In as always

3 Likes

Even if I lose I win, put me in!

3 Likes

I like this tournament. In.

2 Likes

Ah, my least favorite character.

7 Likes

I’m amused by the fact that you are both the current expert on Pers, and also self-declared as hating the mirror.

3 Likes

That reminds me of a tweet I saw the other day where someone was taking a college class from someone who specialized in studying the writing of Faulkner and had been teaching classes on the subject for years. When he was asked if Faulkner is his favorite author he said no.

3 Likes

Sounds fun :slight_smile:
Signing in.

5 Likes

Ooh, I’ll be signing up as well! Persephone mirrors are fun for everyone, right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m in CST and the best times for me are mid-afternoons into the evening during the week & it’s similar for the weekend but I can play earlier in the afternoon then as well!

I’m looking forward to the pets… :joy_cat:

2 Likes

Hmm, doesn’t seem like a good tournament to me. I don’t like being FORCED to pick a certain character. Why not just give an extra reward to the people who CHOOSE to play Persephone?

Because that’s just not the format of this tournament series? This series is particularly about exploring mirror matches.

5 Likes

I dunno, I think if you give people a little more agency in selecting their character, they feel happier and more determined about it. Yes im aware you can argue one’s choice to sign up for the tournament carries the same weight, but still

I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

4 Likes

The Single Character showdowns have been around for a couple of years now. I personally find it gives me more insight into character, and is a usually a MU you don’t see often (yomi’s meta does not lead itself to Mirror matches often)

Like, when we did the setsuki one last year, I found myself enjoying the character more than I ever did previously.

Think of it like an alternate rules Smash tournament, like Squad Strike. Yes, it’s not for everyone, but some of us enjoy it.

4 Likes

Challonge is up!

https://iyl.challonge.com/scs5

3 Likes