[Tournament] Lum's Lucky Lottery: The Full Half Dozen

As a former TO for this event, I feel I should make sure that VP can handle the responsibility of running what is, essentially, the Yomi equivalent of a slot machine.

I’m in.

6 Likes

Come on! Just one more to bring us to 16

2 Likes

Just one more, you say…
Raises hand

5 Likes

The bracket is up, and match invites are on their way: Lum's Lucky Lottery: The Full Half Dozen - Challonge

1 Like

Hey, folks, I’m finding myself that the short deadline on this first week is harder to work around, so I’m likely not going to be rolling the next week on time. If anyone else needs an extension, let me know, and maybe we’ll just give round 1 and extra week.

4 Likes

feathers 4-2 @migohunter

Seems like I have the honor of making the inaugural match report of LLL6, fought between myself and migohunter, both newcomers to the LLL scene. The premise did not disappoint! What a rollercoaster of a match this was. Apologies if some descriptions are a bit short, memories get a bit fuzzy through a bo7.

:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
We both roll our dice… and (hey presto) I end up with my main, facing off against my nemesis (drat), Sets. I manage to navigate the first few turns well, duffing throws and blocking Qs, then Sets begins to go off and we have some tense back and forths. I get some truly fortunate draws with Aces, all the way until a surprise Blowfish Spike sealed the deal.

:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie:
I navigate the neutral deftly in such a way that somehow left Val full on cards. All according to plan.

I manage to not get blown up with jokers and successful bluffs, until I did. Fortunately, Migo never draws a J, so I manage to avoid death until my secret deal with Thelo gives me Ace draws again, and I win by bamboozling him with two Blowfish Spikes in a row. Migo chooses to reroll.

:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
…and lands in this living hell of a matchup. Cue sad trombones. He fights valiantly, but things just do not go his way. No Blackjack triggered, few landed throws, bad RtD. He almost manages to bring it back, but we end up at an Arg-checkmate with me still having both Jokers in hand.

By this point migo is about ready to pack up and go home until we remember that LLL uses bo7. He lifts his gaze towards the heavens as he makes one last roll…

:argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
And voila. Geiger. Never let it be said the fates do not smile upon the needy.

The entire tone of the set shifts. This is the moment where the hero rises from their darkest hour with triumphant music playing, and I’m on the wrong side.

This matchup is ostensibly even-ish, but I have never felt comfortable on the Arg side through all the matches and practice sessions. I try to dredge up old IYL experience and get to work on defending myself from death. However, Migo catches my pattern and presses downback until he has a nice hand of ammo to work with, then bulldozes through two counters and two Protective Wards to make sardine out of me. I think there was even a hard Joker callout.

That’s alright. I’m fine with taking one on the chin. Migo rerolls, I’m feeling alright because anyone would be better than…

:argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
Yeah.

The fates have a wicked sense of humor, it seems.

I try to get back into the grind, but am losing my rhythm a bit by this point and Migo capitalizes on it very well, with nicely timed offense and downbacking that led me in circles. Also for him to capitalize on were his draws, which by the midgame was shown to have two of each face, an ace, three TDs, and a joker. The discard was disgustingly resplendent. Even my legendary Ace luck couldn’t save me.

I die to exacties TD lethal. Get Geiger out of here.

:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
Thelo! Thelo!!!

Apparently we’re playing 20xx IYL after all.

This is quite a tense situation for the both of us. If migo wins, he gets to make the comeback to an even set, and I have already taken quite a bit of psychological damage by this point. I think I was fully ready to see Troq for the last Migo reroll.

We get down to brass tacks, and Migo lands a couple good throws before getting a K blocked. I throw him a couple times right back. There’s a little back and forth until I duff a 9 throw (seeking a hard read block) with AA, and we end up staring down each other at my 12 vs his 8. I just powered up for an Ace and have AA in hand. He has spent all but 6 dodges.

I decide to aim for glory, played an 8 throw instead, and threw a dodge for the win.

What a set. We both thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and Migo’s comeback arc was lovely (no one break kayfabe). I drew and fired off more Blowfish Spikes this set than I ever managed to in my yomi career. My soul is sated. Always a pleasure, Migo, good luck in your future sets!

3 Likes

mastrblastr 4 - 1 @Hobusu
:midori: < :valerie: I get out-yomi’d and out bluffed on jokers. Don’t go in on a bluff do go in on a real one. Val played zoner really well here.
:vendetta: > :valerie: really back and forth match that I was sure I was going to lose and felt the salt building up but then was able to win it off a silent AAA
:vendetta: > :vendetta: My 2 beat his 3 turn 1, that says everything about this silly MU.
:vendetta: > :menelker: I go in really hard here dump my whole hand in 2 big jack combos go to practically no hand while still in early game and am able to find the last few points
:vendetta: > :rook: a really tough MU for rook and ven gets to be maximally oppressive and keep it locked down.
GGs!

4 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 3 Cypher

:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :quince: down to the wire game
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger: can’t remember exactly, but I remember this being kind of a blow-up, I reroll Cypher
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger: …into Geiger again lol, luckily it works out for me this time!
:midori: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger: I land FDB super early, and then Cypher brings it back from 4 HP!!!
:midori: :pschip: :psfist: :zane: very close game, I go for raw FDB with Cypher knocked down and eat Anarchy :sweat_smile:
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :gwen: tense, low-hand game, but I manage to set up the checkmate
:persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :gwen: I manage to not explode and then luck out against a late-game throw

great games Cypher! good luck in the rest of the event and welcome back to the Yomi scene!

6 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @flagrantangles

:vendetta: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:vendetta: :pschip: :psfist: :menelker:
:vendetta: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
:vendetta: :pschip: :psfist: :quince:
:vendetta: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:

Southpaw Hare 4 - 2 Flagrantangles
Southpaw Hare wins!

Got 2 of my favorite characters, 3 times in a row. Pretty lucky!

4 Likes

ratxt1 vs jjjdragon31 4-0

:persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :lum: I was sad to play perse my first game back, since she is hard and low tier, but this MU is one of the MUs against a higher tier character where she can be pretty nice. A bunch of her options line up well against lum and he has hard time doing his Lum BS against her.
:persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :gwen: This MU is hard as you are two donks away from death. Luckily I avoided being donked. I think JJJ was a bit too aggressive with their Qs early since that DP can be a nightmare when perse has KD mid/late.
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :gwen: really close one including a sick AAA trade late. I actually really like this mirror because AAA is my favorite gwen move and it is really good here. Had to come back with some reads in the endgame.
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :quince: Gwen has a lot of fast attacks. Quince does not like fast attacks.

ggs. Fun first match back!

5 Likes

Caralad vs MysticDeadman

:gloria: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb: - MD makes me reroll into
:gloria: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
:vendetta: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:

At this point, I’d drawn so many jokers and 8’s that MD calls it a day.

GG’s MD.

3 Likes

I’m not calling it a day. I’m calling it a career. I’m dropping here, and I’m walking away before this game makes me tear skin from my scalp.

Unfortunately, @snoc forfeited our MU and drops out from the Tournament.
Hope you can play again soon, mate. It’s always challenging and tense to play with you.

1 Like

Caralad vs @Ivan

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta: - I roll the best possible outcome G1. It’s a MU I feel pretty comfortable with too
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta: - Lets face it, no one is ever going to let me stay as Troq. I hit quince, a character I’ve always loved but never felt 100% comfortable with. I manage to spin dry myself into a perfect though
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone: - I think I scummed this one out slightly, as there was one turn where I noticed Ivan timed out. I’d already commited my K to that turn though, so the attack whiffed into more spins.
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey: - Yeah…this was brutal. I ran into 2 A dodges, a Pilebunker and a 7
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie: - This was kind of a blur. I managed to block multiple A’s which helped build my hand up. I felt I had to go yolo though as even with about 11 cards in hand I had no dodges somehow.

GG’s Ivan. Good luck in the lower bracket.

4 Likes

vengefulpickle vs @Legion

:persephone::psfist::pschip::valerie: - Landed MC twice
:bbb::psfist::pschip::valerie: - Powered up 4 7s into AAA, abused AA for the win
:bbb::pschip::psfist::troq: - Get randomed into a nice MU for robosatan, still can’t hold on for the win
:bbb::psfist::pschip::midori: - Get another robosatan-favored match, take this one with 4 Qs, 4 4s, and lots of long-range time. And @Legion got 0 Qs.
:bbb::pschip::psfist::menelker: - Ow. Menelker is fast, and hits hard.
:gloria::psfist::pschip::menelker: - A couple of attached Healing Spheres let me hold onto decent hand-size, and then I barely scrape by on a couple of non-winning-combat ODs when we were both in the 30ish life range, with a lucky read at the end of the match.

GGs, @Legion!

3 Likes

mastrblastr 4 - 3 @SouthpawHare
:geiger: > :geiger: i start 3 with 3TS and a few throws, draw 4 4. get to play like a complete animal where I don’t think I blocked once all game until endgame.
:gwen: < :geiger: I was happy for this because I love gwen and don’t get to play her enough and thought this MU would go well for me… I get completely rolled, I think I win literally 1 combat?
:gwen: < :argagarg: excited to make SPH reroll so I can keep gwen and get this very tricky MU thaat has a lot of complexity aand cool stuff going on and… I get completely rolled. That’s it guess I have to bail out of Gwen SPH came to play and is absolutely all over my shit
:gloria: > :argagarg: blessRNG in LLL here ends up being a ridiculously close fight that I win on final combat. SPH rolls himself asks LuckyLum to give him Zane and he gets…
:gloria: < :argagarg: I get kind of stomped here, I made a few misplays, SPH made some great reads. I stabilize at 1hp and 3 cards in hand forced to do 2damage every combat I win and discard my hand every turn lol. Actually whittle him down to mid 20s from this but then finally die
:midori: > :argagarg: I think my opening hand was 2TJKA**. Regardless I was forced to gold burst turns 2 and 3 because I had no other play and my 2 got 10countered. End up stringing a lot of daamaage with this hand though thanks to one gold burst hitting and just dealing 24+ every turn in neutral. Ends up going to last combat.
:midori: > :lum: another match that went to last combat and I blue burst protected from lethal. Just ana unbelievable game that had everything you could think in it.

GGs, we both threw the kitchen sink at each other and had one hell of a set.

4 Likes

ArthurWynne vs @Owlflame

:midori: :psfist: :knockdown: :bbb:
:midori: :knockdown: :psfist: :troq:
:midori: :psfist: :knockdown: :bbb: Yes.
:midori: :knockdown: :psfist: :lum:
:midori: :psfist: :knockdown: :bbb: Yes, really.
:midori: :psfist: :knockdown: :troq: YES, REALLY! @Thelo, are there any cheat codes we should know about? :joy:

Final result 4-2 to ArthurWynne

Apart from the crazy match-ups though, this was also an amazing set, the Lum game and the final match in particular have to be seen to be believed.

6 Likes

No DSDs landed.

5 Likes

Hobusu vs @flagrantangles

:midori::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:degrey::pschip::psfist::gwen:
:degrey::psfist::pschip::gloria:
:degrey::psfist::pschip::bbb:
:degrey::psfist::pschip::menelker:

Final score: Hobusu 4 – flagrantangles 1
Hobusu wins

Those were good games! Despite what you said after the match, I do think you played well—looking back at the replays, you won the second game in a commanding fashion and then the third and fourth game I scraped out a win while below 10 HP, so both of those could easily have gone the other way. The only major mistake you made, in my opinion, was letting me keep DeGrey. Not only is he a strong character in general, but he’s also one of the two characters I have the most experience with, so re-rolling me to almost any other character would probably have helped you a lot.

4 Likes

migohunter vs @Cypher

:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:
This game really went down to the wire. At 12 HP vs 24 HP I was dead to a single grave A but a 4* bails me out and gives me more leverage against a KD grave. Missed a potential lethal opportunity but I close it out the turn after. Phew!

:grave: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:
A grave situation… but I managed to worm my way into a win by not getting hit by his TPOS and dodging into my own.

:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :grave:
He played a very unexpected dodge+throw range once he had cards which caught me off guard. Ate a well timed raw TPOS to the face. Well played!

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
I had a strange hand of a lot of throws. So that’s what I did, I threw geiger like crazy and pitched cards I normally wouldn’t pitch into the throws. Miscalculate lethal at the end puts me at a sticky situation and 3 cards but I pull through.

:gloria: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
Eating a 567 to the face at the start was not good. Nor was running attacks into Geiger’s blocks. A gold burst bails me out and gives me the fuel I need to mount a comeback, and I manage to thread the needle and not get rocked by fully pumped Cycloid Revolution

Great games mate! I was sweating.

5 Likes