[Tournament] Lum's Long Odds - Ongoing!

Maybe we should run more Swiss tournaments in general. The main issue is that one delayed game ruins everything, and I think in general TOs want to be lenient as far as they can be.

2 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @ArthurWynne

:bbb: :psfist::pschip: :persephone: 4.5
:bbb: :pschip::psfist: :jaina: 5.0
:gwen: :pschip::psfist: :jaina: 6.0

Southpaw Hare 13.5 - 11.0 Arthur Wynne
Southpaw Hare wins!

4 Likes

Well played, SouthpawHare! And thanks for putting up with my anti-BBB saltiness.

2 Likes

Me vs. MR

:chibivendetta: :psfist::pschip: :chibigwen: for 5
:chibivendetta: :pschip::psfist: :chibimenelker: for 5
:chibigloria: :psfist::pschip: :chibimenelker: x2 for 5 apiece
:chibigloria: :pschip::psfist: :chibibbb: for 4

Making the total 15-9.

Good games sorry I was a bit late.

3 Likes

@Hobusu vs @flagrantangles

+0.0 :chibisetsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :quince: +4.5
+5.5 :setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :chibiquince: +0.0
+0.0 :chibisetsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :quince: +4.5
+0.0 :chibidegrey: :pschip: :psfist: :quince: +4.5
+5.5 :setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :chibiquince: +0.0

Total points: @Hobusu 11, @flagrantangles 13.5 (Assuming I read the chart right)

@flagrantangles wins!

That was fun! One thing I noticed with Setsuki was that any time you did a K spin, I almost always won if I could play a 7 or 8 throw and lost if I didn’t have either of those (because you rarely deviated from playing them honest against her). The games with Setsuki were enjoyably close, unlike the one time I tried DeGrey… I believe you when you say you know that MU well!

6 Likes

LLO Round 3,

@FaceOnMars vs. variable:

:degrey::pschip::psfist::chibimenelker:: Dodge → Raging Demon.
:chibidegrey::psfist::pschip::menelker:: I get FOM down to two cards, but I am unwilling to throw or win combat many turns following that! :o
:degrey::pschip::psfist::chibimenelker:: I fortunately am able to take FOM’s Joker away on the last turn, while also having lethal - somehow!?
:chibidegrey::stuck_out_tongue::pschip::menelker:: A perfecto for FOM!! I was very unwilling to attack this game! :o
:degrey::pschip::psfist::chibimenelker:: FOM’s hand ended up being weird this game, but, fortunately, bones were not allowed to be cracked - this time! I land a rare dececombo with Menelker, which then allowed me to bully with fast attacks to close it out!

Thanks for playing, FOM, and good luck in the rest of LLO!! :smiley_cat:

Point Synthesis:

FaceOnMars - 8 points.
variable - 18 points.
(I think I have this right.)

5 Likes

@Fusxfaranto vs snoc
:valerie::pschip::psfist::gwen: ow my face, hardly won a combat all game, got gwenned hard
:lum::psfist::pschip::gwen: In retrospect this MU is bad in this tournament I think. Was smarting from the Val loss and felt like picking up the panda for the first time in a while. I hadn’t considered how favoured it is and therefore how many points I stand to give away.
:lum::psfist::pschip::gwen: More panda things… Sniped some aces with 7s in big Gwen hands
:lum::psfist::pschip::gwen: Turns out flipping Ace-10 in blackjack is pretty good, nearly as good as Joker
:lum::psfist::pschip::gwen: 6 throws are also really good.

snoc 14-5 Fusxfaranto

GGs Fusx, the luck was in my favour today with blackjacks for sure. I was almost hoping to lose so I could go back to Valerie for the last few games there though…

5 Likes

The only bad picks in this tournament are picks that you can’t win more often than the mu chart suggests. It looks like you picked just fine.

I feel pressured to learn a top tier character for now so it looks like DeGrey is it! for now…
I only have 2 criteria for my tournament matches:
Always learn something new…
Have a fun time playing my match…
I have succeeded.

As always, thanks for a fun set @variable.

3 Likes

gutterowl 3-2 @neigutten

:persephone::knockdown::psfist::rook:
life comes at you fast. ow.
0.0-5.5

:persephone::psfist::knockdown::rook:
looks like it’s gonna be another shutout with persephone on 9 life and rook on 88. but neigutten failed to account for my psychic powers. the runbacks are real.
4.5-5.5

:persephone::knockdown::psfist::rook:
psychic powers are good and all, but a rock to the face is also very strong. i swear i had a life total, where did i leave it…

at this point i feel like i’m getting point-farmed and switch.
4.5-11.0

:onimaru::psfist::knockdown::rook:
alright, this is going better. get good reads on when to go for crush versus when to play around special blocks–mostly cuz neigutten burns through like three of them in the opening turns. neigutten forgets that final authority is a card, and plays checkmate buster into an aceproof hand. after that, it was just a matter of slowly nudging him into chipout hell and a desperation throw.
9.5-11.0

:onimaru::psfist::knockdown::quince:
PERFECT. i think neigutten expected me to eventually play something other than a red card. neigutten was wrong.

final score 15.5-11.0. good games, nei. respectable outcome for both of us. best of luck down the line.

4 Likes

me vs @GutterOwl just now

Seeing that she starts out with Persephone a lot, I think I want to get some points by winning with Rook here. I end up finding out that according to the sheet here, the matchup isn’t as bad as I have heard people suggest it be!

:chibirook::psfist::pschip::persephone: - 5.5 - 0

• Feel pretty comfident after this one
    :chibirook::pschip::psfist::persephone: - 5.5 - 4-5
  • A solid comeback from 9 hp from GutterOwl here. I do some misplays to ensure that I don’t get out of the vortex, but that is what happens when I am unfoccused
    :chibirook::psfist::pschip::persephone: 11 - 4-5
  • Almost perfect, a K got hit by a 3 early on!
    :chibirook::pschip::psfist::onimaru: 11 - 9.5
  • I keep thinking that a dodge to get away from AA will come, and too late I am reminded that Final Authority is a thing.
    :quince::pschip::psfist::onimaru: 11 - 15.5
  • A perfect, as I start out getting guard crushed a lot, and then all my throws get hit by attacks. A lot of spins where possible had I only gotten a little hit. But no :stuck_out_tongue:

GG ^^

Also, a rare occurance: - YouTube

4 Likes

me vs @Castanietzsche
:degrey: > :quince: This is always a really weird matchup. got lucky to guess correctly on every spin and then won off a 4 spin of my own by lying.
:degrey: > :persephone:
Had a powerhouse hand and steamrolled
:degrey: > :persephone:
this one was more absurd, had 777** very early on that he got to see when MC’d me.
:degrey: < :valerie: he dumped his entire hand to put me at 10. I had an extremely awkward hand all game with no damage. Was able to bring him to 20 but had no lethal in hand for that and soon lost to a topdecked 7throw
:degrey: > :valerie: This was a close hard hitting game that I was lucky to win when my raw AA beat his K when he only had 1 T in hand.

Mastrblastr 17.5 (5.5+4+4+4) - 6 @Castanietzsche
GGs!

4 Likes

CKR over @mysticjuicer 17 pts to 7 pts

:zane: > :onimaru: 5 pts
:zane: > :setsuki: 4.5 pts
:zane: > :setsuki: 4.5 pts
:zane: > :menelker: 3 pts
:zane: < :menelker: 7 pts

I was fortunate with the jokers during this set.

ggs.

5 Likes

N’aw, was well played on your part! Took me by surprise a number of times! I think I need to really reevaluate how I approach this format.

2 Likes

I went through the same adjustment thought process as you are. That is why I led Zane this time. I thought there was a good chance that I could get some points on the board with an OK points outcome early. I would worry about the counterpick if the situation came up. Fortunately, it didn’t.

The only advice that I could give in this format is similar to what @Niijima-san has said. I would like to add that you should also know your opponent. During this match, I was extremely happy to see Setsuki as a counterpick to Zane. I have played both these characters alot. I knew this MU well.

Good luck! I am sure you will figure it out and unleash mysticjuicer 2.0.

btw, my joker luck was insane. I believe in the two Setsuki games, I had two jokers in my opening hand. This completely destroys Setsuki’s game plan unless she is extremely fortunate. This allows him to set up for Anarchy and defend against Setsuki in her most high damage situations.

3 Likes

Yeah, the issue I’m running into is that “win with the worst character you feel you can win with” is not anything I’ve ever had to do. The character select decision making is really different when generally I just want to pick the best top tier character against a given character, or something. I think I should have just stuck to Oni vs Zane. The match was close, and if I think you’ll stick it out as Zane, then I should feel confident enough that “yeah, I can probably take 3-2 in this” or something like that.

I also need to recognize my Setsuki isn’t all that good. :smiley:

3 Likes

You know what. I was all set for the Oni vs Zane five game set. I was prepping for the slow grind. My favorite MUs with Zane are Rook and Oni because they can at least nuetralize his meaty game and have pretty good MA defense. It allows me turn off auto pilot. This makes for some intense fun. We should do it sometime.

3 Likes

thehug0naut vs @vengefulpickle
:grave::psfist::pschip::setsuki: 5-0
I play safe vs sets and win the majority of combats
:grave::psfist::pschip::setsuki: 10-0
I draw both jokers early and play it even slower and safer. I very much enjoyed clashing my A into his A to bring him to lethal throw range
:grave::psfist::pschip::persephone: 16-0
A wild Perse appears (oh my!) but thankfully grave has good speeds and solid damage
:grave::psfist::pschip::persephone: 22-0
I make some mistakes here and very narrowly miss the full lockdown, when I get out of it I’m on 1HP vs 27. time for a MAGIC PIXEL COMEBACK!
:grave::psfist::pschip::persephone: 28-0
I draw and straight my way into TPOS by turn 4 but he’s Q-ing like mad and I have no dodges so can’t risk it. However turns out hidden aces convert into REAL SOVIET DAMAGE

thehug0naut wins 28-0, now that’s a lot of points! :heart_eyes:

ggs @vengefulpickle, was real fun playing and chatting with you :smile:

4 Likes

I seem to be missing from the week 3 scores.

Oops. Fixed!

1 Like