[Tournament] IYL9 - Ongoing!

cpat 3-0 migohunter
:zane: > :jaina:

GGs. Fake Anarchy and real Anarchy are too OP.

4 Likes

Sorry, due to time constraints and loss of interest in Yomi I will have to drop out of the tournament. Too many things I want to do with my time plus work on my plate. I wish everyone else good luck and a good tournament run.

8 Likes

Should we just create PMs for round 5 ourselves or are we pausing the tournament?

I’ll send out the round 5 threads manually myself. Hopefully I can block off some time to get the automation at least partly back up and running.

4 Likes

Ok, automation is back up and running (semi-manually). It just sent out repeat copies of the IYL Round 5 messages. Feel free to use either one for your scheduling.

3 Likes

@Castanietzsche 3 - 2 @Zejety
:quince: :pschip::psfist: :bbb:
:quince: :psfist::pschip: :bbb:
:quince: :psfist: :pschip::bbb:
:quince: :pschip::psfist: :bbb:
:zane: :psfist::pschip: :bbb: I did nothing but attacking but it worked !

ggs, thx for the games ! :smiley:

4 Likes

Lies! You threw once! :smiley:
GGs!

3 Likes
Game @Cypher vs. @SouthpawHare
Round 1 :onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
Round 2 :onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
Round 3 :onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria:

Cypher wins, 3-0

• Round 1 – Only took 2 chip damage (in the second combat-reveal) this entire round, that was it. Started with two Jokers in hand, never had to use either of them. Sometimes, everything just goes your way, you know? Right-on-the-money Guard Crushes (8 attack vs. 8 block), no trouble getting damage from my Clockwork Soldiers, and close it out with a 9 throw (first throw I played of the round) for exact lethal. Kinda started getting the impression that my opponent was the recipient of a recent curse or some kind of bad-luck hex.

• Round 2 – This one got off to a much more even start! I foiled a Long Range attempt using General’s Armor, then blocked my way to a larger hand size. Eventually, my first throw attempt resulted in a punch-to-the-face, but I didn’t freak out and escaped Long Range with the classic block/block exit. The three Rising Swords I started with kept me safe from more Long Range attempts (as well as a very curious Overdrive into 4 attack, from my opponent). Still, the match was mostly just us trading blows until we were both at about 50 health (I still hadn’t seen any Final Authorities, at that point). I did get to find out how Guard Crush interacts with Long Range! After that, though, I beat a Piston Hurricane with a Final Authority 3x Spirit Fire backed by Clockwork Soldiers, and the round ended quickly thereafter.

• Round 3 – My opponent switches to Gloria, and it does take me a moment to adjust. At one point, early, I try to 8 throw a Healing Sphere even though I had the 7 throw in-hand like a bonehead (you ever play a card and then immediately say “no, wait!” to yourself?). Still, my repeated unpumped throws (I didn’t find a good block for like half the round) keep the Healing Spheres at bay and depress Gloria’s hand-size; this combines with some pretty high-risk heals to really limit Gloria’s hand-size. At one point, my opponent literally had no choice but to play the top card of their deck! I assume it’ll be a normal attack, which I try to outspeed with my own 3 attack… only to Guard Crush a 3 block! Lowest-ranked Guard Crush in history, that. See what I mean about being cursed? I think my opponent insulted a wandering fortune-teller, or something. Anyways, the match does stabilize with a Gold Burst, but I dodge into a fully-pumped 9 throw for lethal.

GG;WP to my opponent! Thanks for the good times and the chill vibes; I do hope your luck improves!

4 Likes

CKR over @Castanietzsche 3-2

All :zane: vs :quince:

I was surprised to have my back against the wall in this one (imo Quince is very weak to Zane…hot take, I know). I was lucky to come out ahead. I can’t believe how many times I ran KD meaties attack into flagstone tax (attack) joker. Crazy match.

ggs.

3 Likes

Ivan VS Nopethebard - 3:0
:troq::psfist::pschip::rook::vendetta::onimaru:
GGs

2 Likes

_ed vs CarpeGuitarrem

:bbb: :pschip: :psfist: :jaina: Maybe I should stop starting these matches off with BBB, but I love this stupid robot too much not to. Went to range all of once, made a really silly blunder thinking I could draw cards at range off a combo escape joker, just really embarassing all around. Checkmated in the last couple of turns, but admittedly had a combat where Robo Headbutt with the right read would have gotten me there.
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina: Much less agonizing of a game, though it did come down to the wire. Took me a lot more combats than I’d have liked to adjust and start feeling comfortable in the matchup.
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina: Really strong start this time, made it about halfway through Jaina’s health without taking a scratch, to which Carpe answered back with about half of my health. Managed to pull through in the end.
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :quince: A counterpick! This matchup really makes me use up my timer. AA and some chaff to power up with in my opening hand lets me get really bold, and it pays off. I pretty much win on the back of mashing out random normals to get out of KD-Positive Spin situations and then a couple solid reads in neutral.

Thanks for the great games CarpeGuitarrem! Good luck in the rest of your matches!

3 Likes

IYL Double Feature:

Southpaw Hare vs @CarpeGuitarrem
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:

Southpaw Hare 3 - 0 CarpeGuitarrem
Southpaw Hare wins!

Southpaw Hare vs @flagrantangles
:gloria: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
:gloria: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:

Southpaw Hare 3 - 1 flagrantangles
Southpaw Hare wins!

4 Likes
Game @Cypher vs. @flagrantangles
Round 1 :grave: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
Round 2 :grave: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
Round 3 :grave: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:

Cypher wins, 3-0

• Round 1 – Started this round with two Aces in-hand, decided to make it my mission to stealthily draw into the third one. Geiger is throwing out a lot of Time Spirals as pokes, so I get a couple of decent opportunities to undercut them. I slap blocks with Lightning Traps, throw into a pumped Whirlwind, and bring Geiger down to 41 life. After that, it’s just a matter of landing that stealthy TPoS (which I did eventually get). My opponent uses Temporal Distortion three times in a turn, to get around all of my Mental Toughness counters, but eventually gets the ability to work. By this point, I think it was pretty obvious that I was just trying to land a poke into big damage, but eventually I successfully dodge, and with no facedown (my opponent’s hand was all OTK TD goodies) the True Power of Storms takes it!

• Round 2 – After some sartorial rhetoric stemming from the character-change to Quince, this round gets off to an amicable start as I play a throw-heavy range to good effect. I have enough normals in-hand to power up for 3 Aces pretty early, but I’m loathe to give up my 2s in this matchup since they’re such great pokes, After seeing a number of 4 blocks, I’m also able to land a solid crossup linked with a Whirlwind into a high normal, which I don’t really get to do very often, as Grave. I do get stuck in a bit of a vortex, evening up the life totals. Eventually, I get Quince to low health, cheat by looking at his hand with Martial Master, and see a Joker. The round ends when I’m down to 10 life, but land a poke (calling out a an untruthful Positive Spin), my opponent plays a facedown, since he knows I know he has the Joker, but knowing that he knows that I know, I call the greedy bluff, and combo the 2 poker into a pumped Whirlwind into a 5 attack for exact lethal.

• Round 3 – This round was even closer, as I go all the way down to 4 life before closing it out. A lot of very high-value Two Truths for quince, and some more successful vortexes. I’m playing a throw-heavy range, again, tossing into True-Spark Arc, a pumped Whirlwind, and even just a 5-6 normal combo. Still, my opponent gets a commanding position, at the end of the game, and thrashes me within an inch of my life. Near the end, I miss lethal because I’m too scared of facedown bluffs, but I manage to outspeed a Patriot Mirror with a True-Arc Spark (after spending enough Queens to make Patriot Mirror a pretty safe reveal) to close it out!

GG;WP to my opponent! After seeing your Geiger hand, in the replays, I can confidently say that all of those rounds were super close!

3 Likes

Man, clawing through 60ish HP of Rook while at low health at the end was a wild game. Couldn’t clutch out the mixup at the end though…

2 Likes

ArthurWynne vs @Ivan
:geiger: :psfist: :knockdown: :argagarg: I had a really aggressive start, then wanted to pull on the brakes a little - but my deck didn’t let me, I drew all 7s and face cards! Which is hardly anything to complain about of course. Played the whole game on low hand, but never low on fuel.
:geiger: :knockdown: :psfist: :degrey: Ivan took the return match in commanding fashion, not falling for any of my TD bluster.
:zane: :psfist: :knockdown: :degrey: I got the best of the early game and developed a decent life lead, but Ivan equalized in the midgame with QAA for 44! As we were heading into the late game, suddenly he had the life lead and Zane was on his back - but when he played Troublesome Rhetoric on Block to pressure the knockdown, I woke up with Anarchy courtesy of two silent aces. Zane is Zane.
:zane: :knockdown: :psfist: :jaina: Ivan had the reads this game - I won exactly one combat of consequence before it was all over.
:argagarg: :psfist: :knockdown: :jaina: Despite opening with Jainas slow J undercut by Args 456, the final round was anything but one-sided! Amazing back-and-forth game which culminated in a long, tense endgame of dueling mixups.

Final result: 3-2 to ArthurWynne

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I think I need to drop from this IYL (the first I’ll have missed since I started playing yomi online!). With the new job, I’m just struggling to make my games. Sorry, folks! I’ll still keep the tournament running as smoothly as I can, though.

10 Likes

cpat 3-0 CarpeGuitarrem
:geiger: > :jaina: - TD
:geiger: > :onimaru: - TD
:geiger: > :onimaru: - Gears out

Geiger is silly. GGs.

6 Likes

Gears out!

2 Likes
Game @Cypher vs. @_ed
Round 1 :grave: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
Round 2 :grave: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey:
Round 3 :grave: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey:
Round 4 :zane: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey:
Round 5 :zane: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey:

Cypher wins, 3-2

• Round 1 – Spent a pretty long time at Long Range in the beginning of the game. Not much came of it, though, and I eventually escape Long Range with a big 'ole hand of cards. Power up for TPoS and immediately use it for 45 damage, and then close out the game with a bit of attacking and throwing.

• Round 2 – Engaged in a lot of throwing, this game, after my opponent used a lot of their 7s fairly early in the match. It worked a bit, but mostly we were just stalling. Eventually, both Grave and DeGrey had a lot (and I mean a lot) of damage in-hand. I expected to see a Spirit Justice to try and outspeed
    True Power of Storms, and tried a dodge that ended up working. Called the bluff on the facedown and landed the TPoS for big damage. After that, I just kept dodging and it just kept working!

• Round 3 – My opponent manages a range-shift away from actually using Ghost Riposte and instead just threatening to use Ghost Riposte. My brain cannot keep up. I keep trying to throw, and those throws just keep getting duffed by big DeGrey damage until Grave is in the ground.

• Round 4 – I’ve got some better tools, now, having switched to Captain Zane, but I’m still not able to keep up with the range-shifts. DeGrey is really good at wrong-footing me with when he’s going to use that Ghost Riposte, so Zane continues to get duffed by big Moral High Ground damage. I get a really strong Creator & Destroyer off, removing a Joker and three Aces, but it’s still not enough.

• Round 5 – This time I manage a fairly early Maximum Anarchy, which of course really helps out. Unfortunately, I mis-read the quality of DeGrey’s hand, and manage to Creator & Destroyer a hand of 9s and 10s into an actually good hand, and my opponent brings it all back. It’s down to the very last combat, and Zane manages to (dramatically) out-speed a Final Arbiter with a meaty 2 attack for the win!

GG;WP to my opponent! Tons of super-close games, and a very dramatic finish! Can’t ask for much more than that!

4 Likes

Since I appreciated seeing these in thread as opposed to on the Challonge, I figured I might as well post weekly rankings in the thread, so other people can also refer to them and see their current standing without having to open up the link. I will not be updating this daily like I did for IYL6, but I will be posting a snapshot of the rankings roughly every week. Please note that these rankings are not official (I am not affiliated with IYL tournament organizing in any capacity this season) and might not be 100% accurate.

I will be ranking players by number of losses for simplicity’s sake, and so tiebreakers (wins against tied opponents and game record) will be noted for players who have the same number of losses, as opposed to the same record.

Unofficial IYL9 Week 7 Rankings

Rank Name Match W-L Tiebreak Wins Game W-L WPCT
1 cpat 7-0 (5-0) 15-3 83.3
2 mastrblastr 6-0 (3-0) 9-2 81.8
3 ArthurWynne 7-0 (4-0) 12-4 75.0
4 Cypher 7-1 (5-1) 16-6 72.7
5 Caralad 5-2 (2-2) #6, #7 9-8 52.9
6 _ed 5-2 (2-2) 8-9 47.1
7 CKR 5-2 (2-2) 8-10 44.4
8 Ivan 5-3 (2-3) #11 11-10 52.4
9 Southpawhare 5-3 (3-3) #10 10-12 45.5
10 flagrantangles 4-3 (2-3) 9-10 47.4
11 Nopethebard 3-3 (1-2) 5-8 38.5
12 Zejety 4-4 (1-4) 9-14 39.1
13 Castanietzsche 4-5 (1-5) 11-17 39.3
14 CarpeGuitarrem 3-6 (0-6) 1-18 5.3
migohunter 2-2 7-8 46.7
vengefulpickle 1-1 4-5 44.4
TonyHole 0-0 0-0 0.0

If you notice any mistakes, please let me know.

8 Likes