News Shop
Events Chat

[Tournament] IYL9 - Ongoing!

cpat 3-0 migohunter
:zane: > :jaina:

GGs. Fake Anarchy and real Anarchy are too OP.

4 Likes

Sorry, due to time constraints and loss of interest in Yomi I will have to drop out of the tournament. Too many things I want to do with my time plus work on my plate. I wish everyone else good luck and a good tournament run.

8 Likes

Should we just create PMs for round 5 ourselves or are we pausing the tournament?

I’ll send out the round 5 threads manually myself. Hopefully I can block off some time to get the automation at least partly back up and running.

4 Likes

Ok, automation is back up and running (semi-manually). It just sent out repeat copies of the IYL Round 5 messages. Feel free to use either one for your scheduling.

3 Likes

@Castanietzsche 3 - 2 @Zejety
:quince: :pschip::psfist: :bbb:
:quince: :psfist::pschip: :bbb:
:quince: :psfist: :pschip::bbb:
:quince: :pschip::psfist: :bbb:
:zane: :psfist::pschip: :bbb: I did nothing but attacking but it worked !

ggs, thx for the games ! :smiley:

4 Likes

Lies! You threw once! :smiley:
GGs!

3 Likes
Game @Cypher vs. @SouthpawHare
Round 1 :onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
Round 2 :onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
Round 3 :onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria:

Cypher wins, 3-0

• Round 1 – Only took 2 chip damage (in the second combat-reveal) this entire round, that was it. Started with two Jokers in hand, never had to use either of them. Sometimes, everything just goes your way, you know? Right-on-the-money Guard Crushes (8 attack vs. 8 block), no trouble getting damage from my Clockwork Soldiers, and close it out with a 9 throw (first throw I played of the round) for exact lethal. Kinda started getting the impression that my opponent was the recipient of a recent curse or some kind of bad-luck hex.

• Round 2 – This one got off to a much more even start! I foiled a Long Range attempt using General’s Armor, then blocked my way to a larger hand size. Eventually, my first throw attempt resulted in a punch-to-the-face, but I didn’t freak out and escaped Long Range with the classic block/block exit. The three Rising Swords I started with kept me safe from more Long Range attempts (as well as a very curious Overdrive into 4 attack, from my opponent). Still, the match was mostly just us trading blows until we were both at about 50 health (I still hadn’t seen any Final Authorities, at that point). I did get to find out how Guard Crush interacts with Long Range! After that, though, I beat a Piston Hurricane with a Final Authority 3x Spirit Fire backed by Clockwork Soldiers, and the round ended quickly thereafter.

• Round 3 – My opponent switches to Gloria, and it does take me a moment to adjust. At one point, early, I try to 8 throw a Healing Sphere even though I had the 7 throw in-hand like a bonehead (you ever play a card and then immediately say “no, wait!” to yourself?). Still, my repeated unpumped throws (I didn’t find a good block for like half the round) keep the Healing Spheres at bay and depress Gloria’s hand-size; this combines with some pretty high-risk heals to really limit Gloria’s hand-size. At one point, my opponent literally had no choice but to play the top card of their deck! I assume it’ll be a normal attack, which I try to outspeed with my own 3 attack… only to Guard Crush a 3 block! Lowest-ranked Guard Crush in history, that. See what I mean about being cursed? I think my opponent insulted a wandering fortune-teller, or something. Anyways, the match does stabilize with a Gold Burst, but I dodge into a fully-pumped 9 throw for lethal.

GG;WP to my opponent! Thanks for the good times and the chill vibes; I do hope your luck improves!

4 Likes

CKR over @Castanietzsche 3-2

All :zane: vs :quince:

I was surprised to have my back against the wall in this one (imo Quince is very weak to Zane…hot take, I know). I was lucky to come out ahead. I can’t believe how many times I ran KD meaties attack into flagstone tax (attack) joker. Crazy match.

ggs.

2 Likes

Ivan VS Nopethebard - 3:0
:troq::psfist::pschip::rook::vendetta::onimaru:
GGs

1 Like

_ed vs CarpeGuitarrem

:bbb: :pschip: :psfist: :jaina: Maybe I should stop starting these matches off with BBB, but I love this stupid robot too much not to. Went to range all of once, made a really silly blunder thinking I could draw cards at range off a combo escape joker, just really embarassing all around. Checkmated in the last couple of turns, but admittedly had a combat where Robo Headbutt with the right read would have gotten me there.
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina: Much less agonizing of a game, though it did come down to the wire. Took me a lot more combats than I’d have liked to adjust and start feeling comfortable in the matchup.
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina: Really strong start this time, made it about halfway through Jaina’s health without taking a scratch, to which Carpe answered back with about half of my health. Managed to pull through in the end.
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :quince: A counterpick! This matchup really makes me use up my timer. AA and some chaff to power up with in my opening hand lets me get really bold, and it pays off. I pretty much win on the back of mashing out random normals to get out of KD-Positive Spin situations and then a couple solid reads in neutral.

Thanks for the great games CarpeGuitarrem! Good luck in the rest of your matches!

2 Likes

IYL Double Feature:

Southpaw Hare vs @CarpeGuitarrem
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:

Southpaw Hare 3 - 0 CarpeGuitarrem
Southpaw Hare wins!

Southpaw Hare vs @flagrantangles
:gloria: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
:gloria: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:

Southpaw Hare 3 - 1 flagrantangles
Southpaw Hare wins!

2 Likes
Game @Cypher vs. @flagrantangles
Round 1 :grave: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
Round 2 :grave: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
Round 3 :grave: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:

Cypher wins, 3-0

• Round 1 – Started this round with two Aces in-hand, decided to make it my mission to stealthily draw into the third one. Geiger is throwing out a lot of Time Spirals as pokes, so I get a couple of decent opportunities to undercut them. I slap blocks with Lightning Traps, throw into a pumped Whirlwind, and bring Geiger down to 41 life. After that, it’s just a matter of landing that stealthy TPoS (which I did eventually get). My opponent uses Temporal Distortion three times in a turn, to get around all of my Mental Toughness counters, but eventually gets the ability to work. By this point, I think it was pretty obvious that I was just trying to land a poke into big damage, but eventually I successfully dodge, and with no facedown (my opponent’s hand was all OTK TD goodies) the True Power of Storms takes it!

• Round 2 – After some sartorial rhetoric stemming from the character-change to Quince, this round gets off to an amicable start as I play a throw-heavy range to good effect. I have enough normals in-hand to power up for 3 Aces pretty early, but I’m loathe to give up my 2s in this matchup since they’re such great pokes, After seeing a number of 4 blocks, I’m also able to land a solid crossup linked with a Whirlwind into a high normal, which I don’t really get to do very often, as Grave. I do get stuck in a bit of a vortex, evening up the life totals. Eventually, I get Quince to low health, cheat by looking at his hand with Martial Master, and see a Joker. The round ends when I’m down to 10 life, but land a poke (calling out a an untruthful Positive Spin), my opponent plays a facedown, since he knows I know he has the Joker, but knowing that he knows that I know, I call the greedy bluff, and combo the 2 poker into a pumped Whirlwind into a 5 attack for exact lethal.

• Round 3 – This round was even closer, as I go all the way down to 4 life before closing it out. A lot of very high-value Two Truths for quince, and some more successful vortexes. I’m playing a throw-heavy range, again, tossing into True-Spark Arc, a pumped Whirlwind, and even just a 5-6 normal combo. Still, my opponent gets a commanding position, at the end of the game, and thrashes me within an inch of my life. Near the end, I miss lethal because I’m too scared of facedown bluffs, but I manage to outspeed a Patriot Mirror with a True-Arc Spark (after spending enough Queens to make Patriot Mirror a pretty safe reveal) to close it out!

GG;WP to my opponent! After seeing your Geiger hand, in the replays, I can confidently say that all of those rounds were super close!

1 Like

Man, clawing through 60ish HP of Rook while at low health at the end was a wild game. Couldn’t clutch out the mixup at the end though…

1 Like