[Tournament] eXperimental Codex Asynchronous Fall ~~Swiss~~ Round Robin (XCAFS19)

Do we go ahead and submit our Codexes?

In.

A Couple questions:

Are you going to also prevent each player from playing against their submitted deck?

Are the decks subject to the “three losses and out” rule / do they go away when their player gets three losses? (I think the second is a bad idea)

Speaking of which, perhaps this even could run without the must-drop part of must-drop-swiss: just run N rounds (or N+1 rounds) and maybe have a Finals or Top-4

2 Likes

This is going to be a wonky format and I’m open to feedback on details for the mechanics @EricF!

I hadn’t considered playing your own deck, but probably that would be a good idea, yea. Presents a conflict of interest.

Also for the inevitable possibility that the same deck be submitted by multiple people, I’ll be assigning each instance of it to different players (e.g. Zhav’s Miracle Grow vs. CodexNewb’s Miracle Grow will each be assignable but each one belongs to that individual, and the deck isn’t tallied collectively as just “Miracle Grow”.

This would mean you may be assigned your submitted deck (in structure), but the win for that deck will belong to someone else who submitted it (e.g. Zhav gets a round of “CodexNewb’s Miracle Grow” where the deck win or loss belongs to CodexNewb).

I think cutting for deck losses is bad and also like the idea to do a fixed 5 or 6 runs + top 4 (or just finals and 3rd/4th matches if participation is 9 or fewer players)

3 Likes

Concerning the map card thing, I would actually love to do the map card variant.
I haven’t actually played any of them yet, but there are 4 that don’t immediately strike me as degenerate:
-Big Game Hunters
-Hard Times Mill
-Mystical Forest
-Vortoss Ruins
People who have played them, are these a good list for a map card tournament?

You know I’m in. This sounds silly.

1 Like

@Nopethebard I’ll refer anyone thinking about map cards to visit this thread (and the game series linked within that myself and @Youngbuck played).

Most of the maps just ended up seeming incredibly P1 tilted, but I would submit the following as the “most serious tournament viable”:

• Mystical Forest (barely affected play)
  • Vortoss Ruins (also didn’t affect play much)
  • Flagstone Mines (super crazy but not completely tilted towards either player, one of the few that was little better for P2 iirc b/c building tech 2 quickly was easier)
  • Daggerfall Prison Camp (pretty random but at least fair-ish at game outset)
  • and maaaaybe Hard Times Mill (this one is pretty tough on P1 though iirc)

Generally speaking, though, I think if you’re doing a map tournament, it should be map card announced per round, then matchups draft and play, and P1 has some kind of handicap if you’re playing any of the other maps.

4 Likes

Those sound like a lot of fun.

Maps are crazy, but if there are one or more you’re itching to try, feel free to hit me up.

Btw I’ve chosen my deck submission. Present/Fire/Growth. Also are you given a codex at the beginning of the tournament and keep using it or do you rerandom each round?

rerandom each round is my thought

2 Likes

That works

I want to see how everyone uses my Codex.

I didn’t vote for the good-car format because I thought you kept decks between rounds, so if it’s shuffled each round consider the tie settled.

5 Likes

I’m in! Noobs are welcome right?

6 Likes

You gotta start somewhere!

1 Like

Tournaments are an excellent place to learn. Especially Swiss tournaments because your win-loss run doesn’t affect how many matches you get to play

2 Likes

For this version of Swiss, anyhow. The usual “Swiss and drop at 3 losses” in Codex tournaments does, though.

2 Likes

I’m in! deck tbc

3 Likes

I’m in. Might be a bit slow first couple weeks, I have a bunch of stuff on at the end of this month.

3 Likes

So, this is probably the least convenient time to think of this, but for future gimmick tournaments, I’d like to suggest an ongoing ban system. At the start of each round, your opponent gets to ban (both copies of) one card in your codex from being used for not only that game, but every game for the rest of the tournament, forcing you to adapt to an ever shrinking card pool as time goes on.

5 Likes