The Codex Asynchronous Summer Swiss tournament for 2019 is now taking signups!
This will be a swiss tournament, one match per week, with a grace period if your match doesn’t finish on time. We’ll be standard format for the summer, no draft or ban list shenanigans, so submit your deck choice ahead of time to me either by PM or post in this thread.
First matches will be paired on the Monday after the Summer Solstice (I got a little late start posting this, want to give ~3 weeks notice at least), Monday June 24th, at 10am CDT (UTC-5) in this thread! Please set the thread to “Watching” below to ensure you are notified of new pairings
Nit picky details of how pairings will work
Each round, pairings will be assigned as follows:
- If a match between two players who each have two losses is not completed when the next round is paired, a proxy of “the winner of x vs y” will be paired for the next round in lieu of either participant.
- When the delayed match completes, the proxy will be replaced by the actual winner. This proxy is considered to have the combined opponent and bye history of both players, for purposes of making pairings.
- Deliberately delaying a match in an attempt to affect your pairing for the next round is considered Cheating, and is punishable by being disqualified from the tournament. Yes, this is technically “not enforceable” but it’s still illegal. Don’t do it.
If the number of players is odd, a bye (which counts as a win) will be assigned to the player who:
- Has had the fewest byes in the tournament (normally zero)
- Has played against all other players, or so many of the other players that a bye is needed to avoid a re-match elsewhere in the tournament (probably won’t happen)
- Has the most losses
- Has played against the fewest remaining players (this helps minimize re-matches, while also keeping more players in the tournament longer)
- Was picked randomly from among players tied for criteria #4
Each player will be paired with another player who
- They have been paired against the fewest times (normally zero)
- Has the same number of losses
- An unfinished match is not counted as a loss for players with fewer than two losses Is randomly selected
I reserve the option to hand-craft pairings and/or the bye if necessary to minimize the number of re-matches. This manual manipulation will not result in someone getting a second bye unless all players have had a bye.
General Rules / TLDR of How Things Work:
- The player who goes first in each round will be pre-determined
- If one player has gone first fewer times in the tournament (not counting BYEs), that player goes first, otherwise, the first player is decided randomly.
- The first player is responsible for creating the game thread
- Tag @FrozenStorm when a winner has been determined.
- CAS tournaments use a “three strikes” rule - any player who has three losses will be automatically dropped from the tournament. Players may also drop at any time.
- There is no “cut” - the last player standing wins the event. Thanks to the “three strikes” rule, the field should narrow towards the end, and culminate in an exciting final few matches.
- Matches are 1 game.
- The default will be to play all matches as play-by-post within the forum, but a match may be played in an alternate format (in person, on an alternate platform, via snail-mail, whatever) by mutual agreement, until the field is reduced to four or fewer players.
- I am accepting volunteers to help Judge the event. You could be an authorized judge! @zhavier has been authorized
- If any rulings are necessary, any single Judge who is not participating in that match may make a ruling.
- Rulings are subject to appeal only if the judge making the ruling is wrong about the facts of the game (eg, forgetting that a Building Inspector is in play, or the Shrine of Forbidden Knowledge only makes Demons unstoppable by units) or the rules/FAQ as noted at sirlin.net/rules and/or the Rulings thread.
- Please note the forum suggested post generation spreadsheet, or one of the other format suggestions (like this or this) such that it includes include hand, tech and worker decisions, either in a details + spoiler combo
You can’t see me
- or in a linked source that I can get to. This helps with judgements, adjudication, as well as spectators. For games involving me, you can send a private link to a different judge if you so choose, but as with all PbF games, honor system is in place: don’t peek at your opponent’s spoilers, just as you wouldn’t grab cards out of your opponent’s hand / deck / discard / worker pile and look at them!
New pairings will be posted roughly every Monday. Matches that are not progressing may be given an adjudicated result.
Details of unfinished match adjudication
- Matches where Player 1 has posted their 5th turn within a week will not be adjudicated until 3 days after (Thursday)
- Matches where Player 1 has posted their 10th turn by that Friday (11 days after pairings) will not be adjudicated until Monday (the two week mark).
- Matches subject to adjudication may have a Win declared for the player who is, in the judgement of the Judges,
a. “going to win” (having clear hand/tech spoilers is helpful for determining this)
b. Less responsible for the delay of game, OR
c. For no-one, if prior arrangements were made, or the match result isn’t critical for making the next round of pairings, or if a “catch up” week is coming up.
- Generally I will be pretty generous about allowing for extra time, provided I’m given notice of absence. If you’re ghosting the tourney with no notice however, don’t be surprised if you’re given FF losses!
Nit-picky details about correcting game errors
In the event of a game error, one of three fixes will be implemented:
- If a unit, hero, or building took the wrong amount of damage, and changing it to the correct amount does not cause anything to leave play or not leave play, then the damage will be corrected.
a. If not enough gold was spent, and the excess was floated, the gold total will be corrected. If too much gold was spent, the excess will be refunded. The possibility of theft (red starter, Anarchy, or Law) does not impact this, as both players are responsible for maintaining the game state.
b. An actually executed theft (or failure to steal after taking the appropriate action) forecloses this remedy.
- The game will be backed up to the turn of the error. In this case, having the decisions / game state noted is important for re-constructing things. Any random events that are undone (eg, drawing cards) must be re-randomized, regardless of the size or type of error. Normally the entire turn containing the error will be backed up and re-done, but if knowledge has been gained, or cards drawn, and the error occurred after the new information was gained, the Judge must only back up to the point where new information was revealed.
- If neither of the above apply, or if I feel a backup cannot be performed, the game will be left as-is. (For example, an error occurs on Turn 2, and it is now Turn 4, both players have made decisions, reshuffled, etc. based on the incorrect game state).
- Regardless of remedy, players should feel free to use any information disclosed by their opponent’s error in making gameplay choices. For example, an opponent’s tech choice revealed via a card illegally played and then returned to hand.
- In the case of repeated errors, or errors where the gamestate cannot be recovered, a game loss may be given if the error was substantial.
I will endeavor to post new pairings every Monday, but the “tournament week” is considered to be from one round of pairings posted to the next (so possibly more or less than an actual calendar week).
Late signups will be accepted without penalty until the second set of pairings are made. Signups after that may occur, but will be given one loss for each full round / “tournament week” that has elapsed. As stated above, please submit deck choices with your entry to the tourney, via PM to me or reply in this thread, in order to sign up!
List of players participating:
- FrozenStorm [Past/Future]/Finesse
- zhavier [deck submitted via PM]
- Bomber678 [Finesse]/Peace/Truth
- charnel_mouse [deck submitted via PM]
- Nopethebard [Discipline/Strength]/Finesse
- Hobusu Mono-White, tentatively
- EricF [deck submitted via PM]
- Persephone [deck submitted by PM]
- Nekoatl [deck submitted via PM]
- CarpeGuitarrem [Necro]/Blood/Finesse
- James [Truth/Peace]/Finesse
- Bansa [Law/Peace]/Finesse
- Unity [Balance/Growth]/Present
- hardy83 Mono Green
- codexnewb [deck submitted by PM]
- bolyarich [deck submitted by PM]
- ?? You!
You can find the current standings on the “Tracker” tab of this spreadsheet!